- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 471346, 9 pages
Conformation-Dependent High-Affinity Potent Ricin-Neutralizing Monoclonal Antibodies
Defence Research and Development Canada-Suffield, P.O. Box 4000, Station Main, Medicine Hat, AB, Canada T1A 8K6
Received 25 July 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 10 November 2012
Academic Editor: Barry J. Byrne
Copyright © 2013 Wei-Gang Hu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Montanaro, S. Sperti, and F. Stirpe, “Inhibition by ricin of protein synthesis in vitro. Ribosomes as the target of the toxin,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 677–683, 1973.
- G. L. Nicolson, M. Lacorbiere, and T. R. Hunter, “Mechanism of cell entry and toxicity of an affinity purified lectin from Ricinus communis and its differential effects on normal and virus transformed fibroblasts,” Cancer Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 144–155, 1975.
- B. M. Simmons, P. D. Stahl, and J. H. Russell, “Mannose receptor-mediated uptake of ricin toxin and ricin A chain by macrophages. Multiple intracellular pathways for a chain translocation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 261, no. 17, pp. 7912–7920, 1986.
- R. J. Youle and M. Colombatti, “Hybridoma cells containing intracellular anti-ricin antibodies show ricin meets secretory antibody before entering the cytosol,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 262, no. 10, pp. 4676–4682, 1987.
- Y. Endo, K. Mitsui, M. Motizuki, and K. Tsurugi, “The mechanism of action of ricin and related toxic lectins on eukaryotic ribosomes. The site and the characteristics of the modification in 28 S ribosomal RNA caused by the toxins,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 262, no. 12, pp. 5908–5912, 1987.
- J. Audi, M. Belson, M. Patel, J. Schier, and J. Osterloh, “Ricin poisoning a comprehensive review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 18, pp. 2342–2351, 2005.
- M. Papaloucas, C. Papaloucas, and A. Stergioulas, “Ricin and the assassination of Georgi Markov,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 11, no. 19, pp. 2370–2371, 2008.
- E. Schmitt and T. Shanker, Al Qaeda Trying to Harness Toxin for Bombs, U.S. Officials Fear., The New York Times. New York Times Company, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- J. Warrick, Alleged Ricin Plot in Georgia was a Long Shot, The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- J. C. Burnett, E. A. Henchal, A. L. Schmaljohn, and S. Bavari, “The evolving field of biodefence: therapeutic developments and diagnostics,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 281–297, 2005.
- K. Jasheway, J. Pruet, E. V. Anslyn, and J. D. Robertus, “Structure-based design of ricin inhibitors,” Toxins, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 1233–1248, 2011.
- D. J. Miller, K. Ravikumar, H. Shen, J. K. Suh, S. M. Kerwin, and J. D. Robertus, “Structure-based design and characterization of novel platforms for ricin and shiga toxin inhibition,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 90–98, 2002.
- E. S. Vitetta, J. E. Smallshaw, E. Coleman et al., “A pilot clinical trial of a recombinant ricin vaccine in normal humans,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 2268–2273, 2006.
- M. Colombatti, A. Pezzini, and A. Colombatti, “Monoclonal antibodies against ricin: effects on toxin function,” Hybridoma, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 9–19, 1986.
- M. Maddaloni, C. Cooke, R. Wilkinson, A. V. Stout, L. Eng, and S. H. Pincus, “Immunological characteristics associated with the protective efficacy of antibodies to ricin,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 172, no. 10, pp. 6221–6228, 2004.
- N. J. Mantis, C. R. McGuinness, O. Sonuyi, G. Edwards, and S. A. Farrant, “Immunoglobulin A antibodies against ricin A and B subunits protect epithelial cells from ricin intoxication,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 3455–3462, 2006.
- L. M. Neal, J. O'Hara, R. N. Brey, and N. J. Mantis, “A monoclonal immunoglobulin G antibody directed against an immunodominant linear epitope on the ricin A chain confers systemic and mucosal immunity to ricin,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 552–561, 2010.
- J. M. O'Hara, L. M. Neal, E. A. McCarthy, J. A. Kasten-Jolly, R. N. Brey, and N. J. Mantis, “Folding domains within the ricin toxin A subunit as targets of protective antibodies,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 43, pp. 7035–7046, 2010.
- T. Pelat, M. Hust, M. Hale, M. P. Lefranc, S. Dübel, and P. Thullier, “Isolation of a human-like antibody fragment (scFv) that neutralizes ricin biological activity,” BMC Biotechnology, vol. 9, article 60, 2009.
- J. Prigent, L. Panigai, P. Lamourette et al., “Neutralising antibodies against Ricin Toxin,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20166, 2011.
- J. K. Roche, M. K. Stone, L. K. Gross et al., “Post-exposure targeting of specific epitopes on ricin toxin abrogates toxin-induced hypoglycemia, hepatic injury, and lethality in a mouse model,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1178–1191, 2008.
- F. Wu, S. Fan, F. Martiniuk et al., “Protective effects of anti-ricin A-chain antibodies delivered intracellularly against ricin-induced cytotoxicity,” World Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 188–195, 2010.
- C. R. McGuinness and N. J. Mantis, “Characterization of a novel high-affinity monoclonal immunoglobulin G antibody against the ricin B subunit,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 3463–3470, 2006.
- J. M. O'Hara, A. Yermakova, and N. J. Mantis, “Immunity to ricin: fundamental insights into toxin-antibody interactions,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 357, pp. 209–241, 2012.
- J. Guo, B. Shen, J. Feng, Y. Sun, M. Yu, and M. Hu, “A novel neutralizing monoclonal antibody against both ricin toxin A and ricin toxin B, and application of a rapid sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay,” Hybridoma, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 225–229, 2006.
- T. L. Furukawa-Stoffer, D. C. W. Mah, J. W. Cherwonogrodzky, and R. J. Weselake, “A novel biological-based assay for the screening of neutralizing antibodies to ricin,” Hybridoma, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 505–511, 1999.
- W. G. Hu, J. Yin, S. Jager et al., “A novel approach to development of monoclonal antibodies using native antigen for immunization and recombinant antigen for screening,” Hybridoma, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 307–311, 2008.
- J. D. Robertus and M. P. Ready, “Ricin B chain and discoidin I share a common primitive protein fold,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 259, no. 22, pp. 13953–13956, 1984.
- S. S. Kantha, “A centennial review; the 1890 tetanus antitoxin paper of von Behring and Kitasato and the related developments,” Keio Journal of Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 1991.
- R. Mabry, M. Rani, R. Geiger et al., “Passive protection against anthrax by using a high-affinity antitoxin antibody fragment lacking an Fc region,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 8362–8368, 2005.
- J. D. Marks, “Deciphering antibody properties that lead to potent botulinum neurotoxin neutralization,” Movement Disorders, vol. 19, supplement 8, pp. S101–S108, 2004.
- P. Binder, O. Attre, J. P. Boutin et al., “Medical management of biological warfare and bioterrorism: place of the immunoprevention and the immunotherapy,” Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 26, no. 5-6, pp. 401–421, 2003.
- W. G. Hu and L. P. Nagata, “Antibody gene-based prophylaxis and therapy for biodefence,” Human Vaccines, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 74–78, 2008.
- J. M. Reichert, “Monoclonal antibodies as innovative therapeutics,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 423–430, 2008.
- G. Kohler and C. Milstein, “Continuous cultures of fused cells secreting antibody of predefined specificity,” Nature, vol. 256, no. 5517, pp. 495–497, 1975.
- T. C. Chanh, M. J. Romanowski, and J. F. Hewetson, “Monoclonal antibody prophylaxis against the in vivo toxicity of ricin in mice,” Immunological Investigations, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 63–72, 1993.
- M. Colombatti, V. G. Johnson, H. A. Skopicki, et al., “Identification and characterization of a monoclonal antibody recognizing a galactose-binding domain of the toxin ricin,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 138, no. 10, pp. 3339–3344, 1987.
- P. V. Lemley, P. Amanatides, and D. C. Wright, “Identification and characterization of a monoclonal antibody that neutralizes ricin toxicity in vitro and in vivo,” Hybridoma, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 417–421, 1994.
- N. Sphyris, J. M. Lord, R. Wales, and L. M. Roberts, “Mutational analysis of the Ricinus lectin B-chains. Galactose-binding ability of the 2γ subdomain of Ricinus communis agglutinin b-chain,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 35, pp. 20292–20297, 1995.
- J. W. Guo, B. F. Shen, J. N. Feng, Y. X. Sun, M. Yu, and M. R. Hu, “A novel neutralizing monoclonal antibody against cell-binding polypeptide of ricin,” Hybridoma, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 263–266, 2005.
- J. M. O'Hara, K. Whaley, M. Pauly, L. Zeitlin, and N. J. Mantis, “Plant-based expression of a partially humanized neutralizing monoclonal IgG directed against an immunodominant epitope on the ricin toxin A subunit,” Vaccine, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1239–1243, 2012.
- T. S. Pratt, S. H. Pincus, M. L. Hale, A. L. Moreira, C. J. Roy, and K. M. Tchou-Wong, “Oropharyngeal aspiration of ricin as a lung challenge model for evaluation of the therapeutic index of antibodies against ricin A-chain for post-exposure treatment,” Experimental Lung Research, vol. 33, no. 8-9, pp. 459–481, 2007.
- M. B. Khazaeli, R. M. Conry, and A. F. LoBuglio, “Human immune response to monoclonal antibodies,” Journal of Immunotherapy, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 42–52, 1994.
- W. Y. K. Hwang and J. Foote, “Immunogenicity of engineered antibodies,” Methods, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 2005.
- H. Schellekens, “Immunogenicity of therapeutic proteins: clinical implications and future prospects,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1720–1740, 2002.