- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 472626, 11 pages
Characterization of Antibiotic-Loaded Alginate-Osa Starch Microbeads Produced by Ionotropic Pregelation
1Escola de Química, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21949-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
2Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Físicas, Rua Dr. Xavier Sigaud 150, 22290-180 Urca, RJ, Brazil
Received 22 October 2012; Accepted 2 May 2013
Academic Editor: Subrata Sinha
Copyright © 2013 Gizele Cardoso Fontes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Barreiro, J. F. Martín, and C. Garcia-Estrada, “Proteomics shows new faces for the old penicillin producer Penicillium crrysogenum,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–15, 2012.
- Z. M. A. Meira, E. M. A. Goulart, E. A. Colosimo, and C. C. C. Mota, “Long term follow up of rheumatic fever and predictors of severe rheumatic valvar disease in Brazilian children and adolescents,” Heart, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1019–1022, 2005.
- N. S. Santos-Magalhães, A. Pontes, V. M. W. Pereira, and M. N. P. Caetano, “Colloidal carriers for benzathine penicillin G: nanoemulsions and nanocapsules,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 208, no. 1-2, pp. 71–80, 2000.
- H. Yang and S. T. Lopina, “Penicillin V-conjugated PEG-PAMAM star polymers,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1043–1056, 2003.
- S. Khoee and M. Yaghoobian, “An investigation into the role of surfactants in controlling particle size of polymeric nanocapsules containing penicillin-G in double emulsion,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 2392–2399, 2009.
- E. Turos, G. S. K. Reddy, K. Greenhalgh et al., “Penicillin-bound polyacrylate nanoparticles: restoring the activity of β-lactam antibiotics against MRSA,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3468–3472, 2007.
- J. M. López-Cacho, P. L. González-R, B. Talero, A. M. Rabasco, and M. L. González-Rodrigues, “Robust optimization of alginate-carbopol 940 bead formulations,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, pp. 1–15, 2012.
- M. Davidovich-Pinhas and H. Bianco-Peled, “Physical and structural characteristics of acrylated poly(ethylene glycol)-alginate conjugates,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2817–2825, 2011.
- D. R. Lu, C. M. Xiao, and S. J. Xu, “Starch-based completely biodegradable polymer materials,” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 366–375, 2009.
- D. S. Bastos, K. G. L. Araújo, and M. H. M. Rocha-Leão, “Ascorbic acid retaining using a new calcium alginate-Capsul based edible film,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 2009.
- G. C. Fontes, P. V. Finotelli, A. M. Rossi, and M. H. M. Rocha-Leão, “Optimization of penicillin G microencapsulation with OSA starch by factorial design,” Chemical Engineering Transactions, vol. 27, pp. 85–90, 2012.
- T. P. Hadjiioannou, G. D. Christian, M. A. Koupparis, and P. E. Macheras, Quantitative Calculations in Pharmaceutical Practice and Research, VCH Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- D. W. Bourne, Pharmacokinetics, in Modern Pharmaceutics, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2002.
- T. Higuchi, “Mechanism of sustained-action medication. theoretical analysis of rate,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 1145–1149, 1963.
- R. W. Baker and H. S. Lonsdale, “Controled release: mechanisms and rates,” in Controlled Release of Biologically Active Agents, A. C. Taquary and R. E. Lacey, Eds., pp. 15–17, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- R. W. Korsmeyer, R. Gurny, and E. Doelker, “Mechanisms of solute release from porous hydrophilic polymers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 1983.
- A. Rajendran and S. K. Basu, “Alginate-chitosan particulate system for sustained release of nimodipine,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 433–440, 2009.
- X. Liu, W. Xue, Q. Liu et al., “Swelling behaviour of alginate-chitosan microcapsules prepared by external gelation or internal gelation technology,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 459–464, 2004.
- U. A. Shinde and M. S. Nagarsenker, “Characterization of gelatin-sodium alginate complex coacervation system,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 313–317, 2009.
- K. C. Huber and J. N. BeMiller, “Modified starch,” in Starches: Characterization, Properties, and Applications, A. Bertolini, Ed., pp. 145–203, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- G. Pasparakis and N. Bouropoulos, “Swelling studies and in vitro release of verapamil from calcium alginate and calcium alginate-chitosan beads,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 323, no. 1-2, pp. 34–42, 2006.
- A. S. Hoffman, “Hydrogels for biomedical applications,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 43, pp. 3–12, 2002.
- M. Davidovich-Pinhas and H. Bianco-Peled, “A quantitative analysis of alginate swelling,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1020–1027, 2010.
- E. M. Zactiti and T. G. Kieckbusch, “Potassium sorbate permeability in biodegradable alginate films: effect of the antimicrobial agent concentration and crosslinking degree,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 462–467, 2006.
- S. Kiortsis, K. Kachrimanis, T. Broussali, and S. Malamataris, “Drug release from tableted wet granulations comprising cellulosic (HPMC or HPC) and hydrophobic component,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2005.
- B. Saša, P. Odon, S. Stane, and K. Julijana, “Analysis of surface properties of cellulose ethers and drug release from their matrix tablets,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 375–383, 2006.
- Q. Wang, X. Hu, Y. Du, and J. F. Kennedy, “Alginate/starch blend fibers and their properties for drug controlled release,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 842–847, 2010.
- G. Yang, L. Zhang, T. Peng, and W. Zhong, “Effects of Ca2+ bridge cross-linking on structure and pervaporation of cellulose/alginate blend membranes,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 2000.
- T. Tukomane, P. Leerapongnun, S. Shobsngob, and S. Varavinit, “Preparation and characterization of annealed-enzymatically hydrolyzed tapioca starch and the utilization in tableting,” Starch/Staerke, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 33–45, 2007.
- A. Schoubben, P. Blasi, S. Giovagnoli, C. Rossi, and M. Ricci, “Development of a scalable procedure for fine calcium alginate particle preparation,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 363–369, 2010.
- T. Mimmo, C. Marzadori, D. Montecchio, and C. Gessa, “Characterisation of Ca- and Al-pectate gels by thermal analysis and FT-IR spectroscopy,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 340, no. 16, pp. 2510–2519, 2005.
- M. Segura-Campos, L. Chel-Guerrero, and D. Betancur-Ancona, “Synthesis and partial characterization of octenylsuccinic starch from Phaseolus lunatus,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1467–1474, 2008.
- J. P. Soares, J. E. Santos, G. O. Chierice, and E. T. G. Cavalheiro, “Thermal behavior of alginic acid and its sodium salt,” Ecletica Quimica, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 57–63, 2004.
- H. A. Schneider, “Conformational entropy contributions to the glass temperature of blends of miscible polymers,” Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 229–248, 1997.
- M. J. Brekner, H. A. Schneider, and H. J. Cantow, “Approach to the composition dependence of the glass transition temperature of compatible polymer blends: 1,” Polymer, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 78–85, 1988.
- J. F. Mano, D. Koniarova, and R. L. Reis, “Thermal properties of thermoplastic starch/synthetic polymer blends with potential biomedical applicability,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 127–135, 2003.
- J. M. Fang, P. A. Fowler, C. Sayers, and P. A. Williams, “The chemical modification of a range of starches under aqueous reaction conditions,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 55, pp. 283–289, 2004.
- X. Song, G. He, H. Ruan, and Q. Chen, “Preparation and properties of octenyl succinic anhydride modified early indica rice starch,” Starch/Staerke, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 109–117, 2006.
- P. S. Kalsi, Spectroscopy of Organic Compounds, John Wiley & Sons; Asia, 1995.