- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 478279, 15 pages
Three-Dimensional Supermacroporous Carrageenan-Gelatin Cryogel Matrix for Tissue Engineering Applications
1Department of Biological Sciences, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, K.K Birla Goa Campus, Goa 403726, India
2Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh 208016, India
Received 7 April 2013; Revised 11 June 2013; Accepted 12 June 2013
Academic Editor: Guoping Chen
Copyright © 2013 Archana Sharma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Sachlos, J. T. Czernuszka, S. Gogolewski, and M. Dalby, “Making tissue engineering scaffolds work. Review on the application ofsolid freeform fabrication technology to the production of tissue engineeringscaffolds,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 5, pp. 29–40, 2003.
- B. B. Mandal and S. C. Kundu, “Cell proliferation and migration in silk fibroin 3D scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 15, pp. 2956–2965, 2009.
- V. I. Lozinsky, I. Y. Galaev, F. M. Plieva, I. N. Savina, H. Jungvid, and B. Mattiasson, “Polymeric cryogels as promising materials of biotechnological interest,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 445–451, 2003.
- J. Ahlqvist, A. Kumar, H. Sundström et al., “Affinity binding of inclusion bodies on supermacroporous monolithic cryogels using labeling with specific antibodies,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 216–225, 2006.
- M. B. Dainiak, A. Kumar, F. M. Plieva, I. Y. Galaev, and B. Mattiasson, “Integrated isolation of antibody fragments from microbial cell culture fluids using supermacroporous cryogels,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1045, no. 1-2, pp. 93–98, 2004.
- M. B. Dainiak, A. Kumar, I. Y. Galaev, and B. Mattiasson, “Detachment of affinity-captured bioparticles by deformation of a macroporous hydrogel,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 849–854, 2006.
- E. Jain and A. Kumar, “Designing supermacroporous cryogels based on polyacrylonitrile and a polyacrylamide-chitosan semi-interpenetrating network,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 20, no. 7-8, pp. 877–902, 2009.
- A. Kumar and A. Bhardwaj, “Methods in cell separation for biomedical application: cryogels as a new tool,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 3, no. 3, Article ID 034008, 2008.
- A. Kumar, V. Bansal, J. Andersson, P. K. Roychoudhury, and B. Mattiasson, “Supermacroporous cryogel matrix for integrated protein isolation: immobilized metal affinity chromatographic purification of urokinase from cell culture broth of a human kidney cell line,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1103, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2006.
- V. I. Lozinsky, F. M. Plieva, I. Y. Galaev, and B. Mattiasson, “The potential of polymeric cryogels in bioseparation,” Bioseparation, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 163–188, 2001.
- A. Kumar, V. Bansal, K. S. Nandakumar et al., “Integrated bioprocess for the production and isolation of urokinase from animal cell culture using supermacroporous cryogel matrices,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 636–646, 2006.
- A. Tripathi, N. Kathuria, and A. Kumar, “Elastic and macroporous agarose-gelatin cryogels with isotropic and anisotropic porosity for tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 680–694, 2009.
- A. Srivastava, E. Jain, and A. Kumar, “The physical characterization of supermacroporous poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) cryogel: mechanical strength and swelling/de-swelling kinetics,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 464, no. 1-2, pp. 93–100, 2007.
- A. Tripathi and A. Kumar, “Multi-featured macroporous agarose-alginate cryogel: synthesis and characterization for bioengineering applications,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 22–35, 2011.
- S. Bhat, A. Tripathi, and A. Kumar, “Supermacroprous chitosan-agarose-gelatin cryogels: in vitro characterization and in vivo assessment for cartilage tissue engineering,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 8, no. 57, pp. 540–554, 2011.
- E. Jain, A. Srivastava, and A. Kumar, “Macroporous interpenetrating cryogel network of poly(acrylonitrile) and gelatin for biomedical applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. S173–S179, 2009.
- N. Kathuria, A. Tripathi, K. K. Kar, and A. Kumar, “Synthesis and characterization of elastic and macroporous chitosan-gelatin cryogels for tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 406–418, 2009.
- A. Kumar, A. Rodríguez-Caballero, F. M. Plieva et al., “Affinity binding of cells to cryogel adsorbents with immobilized specific ligands: effect of ligand coupling and matrix architecture,” Journal of Molecular Recognition, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 84–93, 2005.
- A. Kumar, F. M. Plieva, I. Y. Galaev, and B. Mattiasson, “Affinity fractionation of lymphocytes using a monolithic cryogel,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 283, no. 1-2, pp. 185–194, 2003.
- B. Mattiasson, I. Yu. Galaev, A. Kumar, and M. B. Dainiak, “Process for adsorption- based separation of bioparticles from an aqueous suspension,” PCT/SE 000556, 2006.
- S. Nilsang, K. S. Nandakumar, I. Y. Galaev et al., “Monoclonal antibody production using a new supermacroporous cryogel bioreactor,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 932–939, 2007.
- Y.-M. Lim, H.-J. Gwon, J.-H. Choi et al., “Preparation and biocompatibility study of gelatin/kappa-carrageenan scaffolds,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2010.
- A. L. Daniel-Da-Silva, A. B. Lopes, A. M. Gil, and R. N. Correia, “Synthesis and characterization of porous κ-carrageenan/calcium phosphate nanocomposite scaffolds,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 8581–8591, 2007.
- M. Bornhöft, M. Thommes, and P. Kleinebudde, “Preliminary assessment of carrageenan as excipient for extrusion/spheronisation,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2005.
- S. Naim, B. Samuel, B. Chauhan, and A. Paradkar, “Effect of potassium chloride and cationic drug on swelling, erosion and release from kappa-carrageenan matrices,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 5, no. 2, article e25, 2004.
- A. Patel and K. Mequanint, “Novel physically crosslinked polyurethane-block-poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) hydrogel biomaterials,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 727–737, 2007.
- J. S. Mao, L. G. Zhao, Y. J. Yin, and K. D. Yao, “Structure and properties of bilayer chitosan-gelatin scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1067–1074, 2003.
- J. Li and A. F. T. Mak, “Hydraulic permeability of polyglycolic acid scaffolds as a function of biomaterial degradation,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 253–266, 2005.
- K. Prasad, Y. Kaneko, and J.-I. Kadokawa, “Novel gelling systems of κ-, ι- and λ-carrageenans and their composite gels with cellulose using ionic liquid,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 376–382, 2009.
- S. Bhat and A. Kumar, “Cell proliferation on three-dimensional chitosan-agaorose-gelatin cryogel scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 663–670, 2012.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- J. M. Lee, H. H. L. Edwards, C. A. Pereira, and S. I. Samii, “Crosslinking of tissue-derived biomaterials in 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-carbodiimide (EDC),” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 531–541, 1996.
- S.-N. Park, J.-C. Park, H. O. Kim, M. J. Song, and H. Suh, “Characterization of porous collagen/hyaluronic acid scaffold modified by 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide cross-linking,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1205–1212, 2002.