- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 479742, 6 pages
Improvement of Daptomycin Production in Streptomyces roseosporus through the Acquisition of Pleuromutilin Resistance
1Institute of Modern Biopharmaceuticals, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Southwest University, Chongqing 400715, China
2Chongqing Engineering Research Center for Pharmaceutical Process and Quality Control, Southwest University, Chongqing 400715, China
Received 28 April 2013; Revised 8 July 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Marco Bazzicalupo
Copyright © 2013 Linli Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. Arbeit, D. Maki, F. P. Tally, E. Campanaro, and B. I. Eisenstein, “The safety and efficacy of daptomycin for the treatment of complicated skin and skin-structure infections,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1673–1681, 2004.
- V. G. Fowler Jr., H. W. Boucher, G. R. Corey et al., “Daptomycin versus standard therapy for bacteremia and endocarditis caused by Staphylococcus aureus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 7, pp. 653–665, 2006.
- G. Iiao, T. Shi, and J. Xie, “Regulation mechanisms underlying the biosynthesis of daptomycin and related lipopeptides,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 735–741, 2012.
- G. Yu, X. Jia, J. Wen et al., “Strain improvement of Streptomyces roseosporus for daptomycin production by rational screening of He-Ne laser and NTG induced mutants and kinetic modeling,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 729–743, 2011.
- G. Liao, L. Wang, Q. Liu, F. Guan, Y. Huang, and C. Hu, “Manipulation of kynurenine pathway for enhanced daptomycin production in Streptomyces roseosporus,” Biotechnology Progress, 2013.
- D. Huang, J. Wen, G. Wang, G. Yu, X. Jia, and Y. Chen, “In silico aided metabolic engineering of Streptomyces roseosporus for daptomycin yield improvement,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 637–649, 2012.
- D. Huang, X. Jia, J. Wen et al., “Metabolic flux analysis and principal nodes identification for daptomycin production improvement by Streptomyces roseosporus,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 165, no. 7-8, pp. 1725–1739, 2011.
- K. Ochi and T. Hosaka, “New strategies for drug discovery: activation of silent or weakly expressed microbial gene clusters,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 87–98, 2013.
- G. Wang, T. Hosaka, and K. Ochi, “Dramatic activation of antibiotic production in Streptomyces coelicolor by cumulative drug resistance mutations,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 2834–2840, 2008.
- K. Kurosawa, T. Hosaka, N. Tamehiro, T. Inaoka, and K. Ochi, “Improvement of α-amylase production by modulation of ribosomal component protein S12 in Bacillus subtilis 168,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 2006.
- K. Ochi, S. Okamoto, Y. Tozawa et al., “Ribosome engineering and secondary metabolite production,” Advances in Applied Microbiology, vol. 56, pp. 155–184, 2004.
- Y. Tanaka, K. Kasahara, Y. Hirose, K. Murakami, R. Kugimiya, and K. Ochi, “Activation and products of the cryptic secondary metabolite biosynthetic gene clusters by rifampin resistance (rpoB) mutations in actinomycetes,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 195, no. 13, pp. 2959–2970, 2013.
- L. Wang, Y. Zhao, Q. Liu, Y. Huang, C. Hu, and G. Liao, “Improvement of A21978C production in Streptomyces roseosporus by reporter-guided rpsL mutation selection,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1095–1101, 2012.
- C. Hu and Y. Zou, “Mutilins derivatives: from veterinary to human-used antibiotics,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1397–1406, 2009.
- B. Malbruny, A. M. Werno, D. R. Murdoch, R. Leclercq, and V. Cattoir, “Cross-resistance to lincosamides, streptogramins A, and pleuromutilins due to the lsa(C) gene in Streptococcus agalactiae UCN70,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1470–1474, 2011.
- B. B. Li, C. M. Wu, Y. Wang, and J. Z. Shen, “Single and dual mutations at positions 2058, 2503 and 2504 of 23s rRNA and their relationship to resistance to antibiotics that target the large ribosomal subunit,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1983–1986, 2011.
- D. R. Gentry, S. F. Rittenhouse, L. McCloskey, and D. J. Holmes, “Stepwise exposure of Staphylococcus aureus to pleuromutilins is associated with stepwise acquisition of mutations in rplC and minimally affects susceptibility to retapamulin,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 2048–2052, 2007.
- M. Pringle, J. Poehlsgaard, B. Vester, and K. S. Long, “Mutations in ribosomal protein L3 and 23S ribosomal RNA at the peptidyl transferase centre are associated with reduced susceptibility to tiamulin in Brachyspira spp. isolates,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1295–1306, 2004.
- K. T. Nguyen, D. Kau, J. Q. Gu et al., “A glutamic acid 3-methyltransferase encoded by an accessory gene locus important for daptomycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces roseosporus,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1294–1307, 2006.
- L. Wang, X. Tian, J. Wang et al., “Autoregulation of antibiotic biosynthesis by binding of the end product to an atypical response regulator,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 21, pp. 8617–8622, 2009.
- Y. Pan, G. Liu, H. Yang, Y. Tian, and H. Tan, “The pleiotropic regulator AdpA-L directly controls the pathway-specific activator of nikkomycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces ansochromogenes,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 710–723, 2009.
- V. Miao, M. F. Coeffet-Legal, P. Brian et al., “Daptomycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces roseosporus: cloning and analysis of the gene cluster and revision of peptide stereochemistry,” Microbiology, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 1507–1523, 2005.
- K. Ochi, “From microbial differentiation to ribosome engineering,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1373–1386, 2007.
- R. Novak, “Are pleuromutilin antibiotics finally fit for human use?” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1241, no. 1, pp. 71–81, 2011.