- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 480524, 9 pages
Qualitative and Quantitative Hippocampal MRI Assessments in Intractable Epilepsy
1Department of Radiology, Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences,
Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
2Department of Medicine, Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
3Department of Radiology, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
4Department of Neurology, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
5Department of Pediatrics, Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
Received 24 April 2013; Revised 23 June 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jinyuan Zhou
Copyright © 2013 Paramdeep Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Kwan and M. J. Brodie, “Early identification of refractory epilepsy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 5, pp. 314–319, 2000.
- J. H. Margerison and J. A. N. Corsellis, “Epilepsy and the temporal lobes: a clinical, electroencephalographic and neuropathological study of the brain in epilepsy, with particular reference to the temporal lobes,” Brain, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 499–530, 1966.
- R. Kuzniecky and G. D. Jackson, Magnetic Resonance in Epilepsy, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- K. Yucel, B. Hakyemez, M. Parlak, and I. H. Oygucu, “Morphometry of some elements of limbic system in normal population: a quatitative MRI study,” Neuroanatomy, vol. 1, pp. 15–21, 2002.
- E. Geuze, E. Vermetten, and J. D. Bremner, “MR-based in vivo hippocampal volumetrics: 1. Review of methodologies currently employed,” Molecular Psychiatry, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 147–159, 2005.
- C. Watson, F. Andermann, P. Gloor et al., “Anatomic basis of amygdaloid and hippocampal volume measurement by magnetic resonance imaging,” Neurology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1743–1750, 1992.
- E. D. Bigler, D. D. Blatter, C. V. Anderson et al., “Hippocampal volume in normal aging and traumatic brain injury,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 11–28, 1997.
- S. Lehéricy, F. Semah, D. Hasboun et al., “Temporal lobe epilepsy with varying severity: MRI study of 222 patients,” Neuroradiology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 788–796, 1997.
- C. R. Jack Jr., W. H. Theodore, M. Cook, and G. McCarthy, “MRI-based hippocampal volumetrics: data acquisition, normal ranges, and optimal protocol,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1057–1064, 1995.
- J. Cheon, K. Chang, H. D. Kim et al., “MR of hippocampal sclerosis: comparison of qualitative and quantitative assessments,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 465–468, 1998.
- S. E. S. Ng, T. N. Lau, F. K. H. Hui et al., “MRI of the fornix and mamillary body in temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neuroradiology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 551–555, 1997.
- M. J. Cook, D. R. Fish, S. D. Shorvon, K. Straughan, and J. M. Stevens, “Hippocampal volumetric and morphometric studies in frontal and temporal lobe epilepsy,” Brain, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 1001–1015, 1992.
- D. King, S. S. Spencer, G. McCarthy, M. Luby, and D. D. Spencer, “Bilateral hippocampal atrophy in medial temporal lobe epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 905–910, 1995.
- M. Quigg, E. H. Bertram, T. Jackson, and E. Laws, “Volumetric magnetic resonance imaging evidence of bilateral hippocampal atrophy in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 588–594, 1997.
- C. Adam, M. Baulac, J.-M. Saint-Hilaire, J. Landau, O. Granat, and D. Laplane, “Value of magnetic resonance imaging-based measurements of hippocampal formations in patients with partial epilepsy,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 130–138, 1994.
- W. H. Theodore, S. Bhatia, J. Hatta et al., “Hippocampal atrophy, epilepsy duration, and febrile seizures in patients with partial seizures,” Neurology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 132–136, 1999.
- G. D. Jackson, A. Connelly, J. S. Duncan, R. A. Grunewald, and D. G. Gadian, “Detection of hippocampal pathology in intractable partial epilepsy: increased sensitivity with quantitative magnetic resonance T2 relaxometry,” Neurology, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1793–1799, 1993.
- G. D. Jackson, R. I. Kuzniecky, and G. D. Cascino, “Hippocampal sclerosis without detectable hippocampal atrophy,” Neurology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 1994.
- R. P. Carne, T. J. O'Brien, C. J. Kilpatrick et al., “MRI-negative PET-positive temporal lobe epilepsy: a distinct surgically remediable syndrome,” Brain, vol. 127, no. 10, pp. 2276–2285, 2004.
- W. Van Paesschen, S. Sisodiya, A. Connelly et al., “Quantitative hippocampal MRI and intractable temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 2233–2240, 1995.