- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 481827, 8 pages
Protective Effect of 3,4-Methylenedioxyphenol (Sesamol) on Stress-Related Mucosal Disease in Rats
1Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan 70428, Taiwan
2Sustainable Environment Research Center, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 70101, Taiwan
Received 18 October 2012; Revised 14 June 2013; Accepted 19 June 2013
Academic Editor: Brynn Levy
Copyright © 2013 Dur-Zong Hsu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Cook, L. E. Griffith, S. D. Walter et al., “The attribute mortality and length of intensive care unit stay of clinically important gastrointestinal bleeding in critically ill patients,” Critical Care, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 368–375, 2001.
- D. J. Cook, H. D. Fuller, G. H. Guyatt et al., “Risk factors for gastrointestinal bleeding in critically ill patients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 330, no. 6, pp. 377–381, 1994.
- K. Hellstrand, A. Asea, and S. Hermodsson, “Role of histamine in natural killer cell-mediated resistance against tumor cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 145, no. 12, pp. 4365–4370, 1990.
- H. Kohka, M. Nishibori, H. Iwagaki et al., “Histamine is a potent inducer of IL-18 and IFN-γ/in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 164, no. 12, pp. 6640–6646, 2000.
- M. J. Spirt, “Stress-related mucosal disease: risk factors and prophylactic therapy,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 197–213, 2004.
- K. Takagi and S. Okabe, “The effects of drugs on the production and recovery processes of the stress ulcer,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 1968.
- Y.-F. Xie, Q. Jiao, S. Guo, F.-Z. Wang, J.-M. Cao, and Z.-G. Zhang, “Role of parasympathetic overactivity in water immersion stress-induced gastric mucosal lesion in rat,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 2416–2422, 2005.
- K. Nishida, Y. Ohta, and I. Ishiguro, “Modulation of stress-induced gastric mucosal lesions by exogenous L-arginine,” The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 440–450, 1999.
- K. Yasukawa, K. Kasazaki, F. Hyodo, and H. Utsumi, “Non-invasive analysis of reactive oxygen species generated in rats with water immersion restraint-induced gastric lesions using in vivo electron spin resonance spectroscopy,” Free Radical Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 2004.
- K. Nishida, Y. Ohta, and I. Ishiguro, “Relationship between constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity and mucus level in the gastric mucosa of rats with stress,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 393–400, 1998.
- M. Hamaguchi, T. Watanabe, K. Higuchi, K. Tominaga, Y. Fujiwara, and T. Arakawa, “Mechanisms and roles of neutrophil infiltration in stress-induced gastric injury in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 2708–2715, 2001.
- T. Watanabe, T. Arakawa, T. Fukuda, K. Higuchi, and K. Kobayashi, “Role of neutrophils in a rat model of gastric ulcer recurrence caused by interleukin-1β,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 971–979, 1997.
- P.-Y. Chu, D.-Z. Hsu, P.-Y. Hsu, and M.-Y. Liu, “Sesamol down-regulates the lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response by inhibiting nuclear factor-kappa B activation,” Innate Immunity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 333–339, 2010.
- R. G. Martindale, “Contemporary strategies for the prevention of stress-related mucosal bleeding,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. S11–S17, 2005.
- D.-Z. Hsu, K.-T. Chen, Y.-H. Li, Y.-C. Chuang, and M.-Y. Liu, “Sesamol delays mortality and attenuates hepatic injury after cecal ligation and puncture in rats: role of oxidative stress,” Shock, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 528–532, 2006.
- D.-Z. Hsu, P.-Y. Chu, Y.-H. Li, and M.-Y. Liu, “Sesamol attenuates diclofenac-induced acute gastric mucosal injury via its cyclooxygenase-independent antioxidative effect in rats,” Shock, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2008.
- K. Takeuchi, S. Okabe, and K. Takagi, “Influence of amylopectine sulfate on gastric mucosa in normal or water immersion stressed rats,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 506–509, 1976.
- D.-Z. Hsu, P.-Y. Chu, and M.-Y. Liu, “Effect of Sesame oil on acidified ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 423–427, 2009.
- F.-M. Chen, J. Y. Wang, T. J. Huang, and J. S. Hsieh, “The effect of portal hypertension on the glycoprotein biosynthesis of rat gastric mucosa,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 311–317, 2002.
- D.-Z. Hsu, S.-B. Su, S.-P. Chien et al., “Effect of sesame oil on oxidative-stress-associated renal injury in endotoxemic rats: involvement of nitric oxide and proinflammatory cytokines,” Shock, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 276–280, 2005.
- M. Bhatia, J. N. Sidhapuriwala, A. Sparatore, and P. K. Moore, “Treatment with H2S-releasing diclofenac protects mice against acute pancreatitis-associated lung injury,” Shock, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 84–88, 2008.
- I. Szelenyi and K. Brune, “Possible role of oxygen free radicals in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal damage in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 865–871, 1988.
- T. Yoshikawa, Y. Naito, A. Kishi et al., “Role of active oxygen, lipid peroxidation, and antioxidants in the pathogenesis of gastric mucosal injury induced by indomethacin in rats,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 732–737, 1993.
- C.-R. Hung, “Importance of histamine, glutathione and oxyradicals in modulating gastric haemorrhagic ulcer in septic rats,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 306–312, 2000.
- G. R. Martin and J. L. Wallace, “Gastrointestinal inflammation: a central component of mucosal defense and repair,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 130–137, 2006.
- T. Watanabe, K. Higuchi, T. Tanigawa, K. Tominaga, Y. Fujiwara, and T. Arakawa, “Mechanisms of peptic ulcer recurrence: role of inflammation,” Inflammopharmacology, vol. 10, no. 4–6, pp. 291–302, 2002.
- S. Periasamy, D.-Z. Hsu, S.-Y. Chen, S.-S. Yang, V. R. M. Chandrasekaran, and M.-Y. Liu, “Therapeutic sesamol attenuates monocrotaline-induced sinusoidal obstruction syndrome in rats by inhibiting matrix metalloproteinase-9,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 327–336, 2011.
- J. L. Wallace, C. M. Keenan, and D. N. Granger, “Gastric ulceration induced by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is a neutrophil-dependent process,” American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 259, no. 3, pp. G462–G467, 1990.
- N. Yoshida, T. Yoshikawa, Y. Nakamura et al., “Role of neutrophil-mediated inflammation in aspirin-induced gastric mucosal injury,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 2300–2304, 1995.
- S. Fiorucci, E. Antonelli, G. Migliorati et al., “TNFα processing enzyme inhibitors prevent aspirin-induced TNFα release and protect against gastric mucosal injury in rats,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1139–1153, 1998.
- T. Yoshikawa and Y. Naito, “The role of neutrophils and inflammation in gastric mucosal injury,” Free Radical Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 785–794, 2000.
- A. E. Whitney, T. S. Emory, A. M. Marty, P. A. O'shea, G. W. Newman, and B. D. Gold, “Increased macrophage infiltration of gastric mucosa in Helicobacter pylori-infected children,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1337–1342, 2000.
- A. Nakagiri and M. Murakami, “Roles of NADPH oxidase in occurrence of gastric damage and expression of cyclooxygenase-2 during ischemia/reperfusion in rat stomachs,” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 352–360, 2009.