- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 484535, 8 pages
NRAMP1, VDR, HLA-DRB1, and HLA-DQB1 Gene Polymorphisms in Susceptibility to Tuberculosis among the Chinese Kazakh Population: A Case-Control Study
1Department of Pathophysiology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
2Key Laboratory of Xinjiang Endemic and Ethnic Diseases Cooperated by Education Ministry with Xinjiang Province, Shihezi University, Shihezi 832002, China
Received 1 March 2013; Accepted 20 May 2013
Academic Editor: M. Ilyas Kamboh
Copyright © 2013 Fang Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Global tuberculosis control: a short update to the 2009 report,” 2009.
- World Mapper, “A to Z index of maps,” 2010, http://www.worldmapper.org/atozindex.html.
- “National Technic Steering Group of the Epidemiolocal Sampling Survey for Tuberculosis: Report on fourth national epidemiological sampling survey of tuberculosis,” Chinese Journal of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, vol. 2, pp. 3–7, 2002.
- J. Xin, F. Xinchun, Y. Huakui, and W. Weidong, “Report on the fourth epidemiological survey for tuberculosis in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region,” Chinese Journal of Antituberculosis, vol. 26, pp. 264–267, 2004.
- G. W. Comstock, “Tuberculosis in twins: a re-analysis of the Prophit survey,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 621–624, 1978.
- W. W. Stead, “Variation in vulnerability to tuberculosis in America today: random, or legacies of different ancestral epidemics?” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 807–814, 2001.
- E. G. Hoal, “Human genetic susceptibility to tuberculosis and other mycobacterial diseases,” IUBMB Life, vol. 53, no. 4-5, pp. 225–229, 2002.
- S. Malik and E. Schurr, “Genetic susceptibility to tuberculosis,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 863–868, 2002.
- W. W. Stead, J. W. Senner, W. T. Reddick, and J. P. Lofgren, “Racial differences in susceptibility to infection by Mycobacterium tuberculosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 7, pp. 422–427, 1990.
- W. W. Stead, “Genetics and resistance to tuberculosis: could resistance be enhanced by genetic engineering?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 937–941, 1992.
- J. Sambrook and D. Russell, Molecular Clonging, Cold spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 3rd edition, 2001.
- A. V. S. Hill, “Aspects of genetic susceptibility to human infectious diseases,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 40, pp. 469–486, 2006.
- R. Bellamy, “Genome-wide approaches to identifying genetic factors in host susceptibility to tuberculosis,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1119–1123, 2006.
- H. E. Takiff, “Tuberculosis 2007,” in From Basic Science to Patient Care. Tuberculosis Textbook.Com, J. C. Palomino, S. C. Leão, and V. Ritacco, Eds., pp. 207–262, 1st edition, 2007.
- S. M. Vidal, D. Malo, K. Vogan, E. Skamene, and P. Gros, “Natural resistance to infection with intracellular parasites: isolation of a candidate for Bcg,” Cell, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 469–485, 1993.
- S. Gruenheid, E. Pinner, M. Desjardins, and P. Gros, “Natural resistance to infection with intracellular pathogens: the Nramp1 protein is recruited to the membrane of the phagosome,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 717–730, 1997.
- F. Canonne-Hergaux, S. Gruenheid, G. Govoni, and P. Gros, “The Nramp1 protein and its role in resistance to infection and macrophage function,” Proceedings of the Association of American Physicians, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 1999.
- M. D. Fleming, C. C. Trenor III, M. A. Su et al., “Microcytic anaemia mice have a mutation in Nramp2, a candidate iron transporter gene,” Nature Genetics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 383–386, 1997.
- C. H. Barton, T. E. Biggs, S. T. Baker, H. Bowen, and P. G. P. Atkinson, “Nramp 1: a link between intracellular iron transport and innate resistance to intracellular pathogens,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 757–762, 1999.
- J. R. Forbes and P. Gros, “Divalent-metal transport by NRAMP proteins at the interface of host-pathogen interactions,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 397–403, 2001.
- J. M. Blackwell, S. Searle, H. Mohamed, and J. K. White, “Divalent cation transport and susceptibility to infectious and autoimmune disease: continuation of the Ity/Lsh/Bcg/Nramp1/Slc11a1 gene story,” Immunology Letters, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 197–203, 2003.
- R. Bellamy, C. Ruwende, T. Corrah, K. P. W. J. McAdam, H. C. Whittle, and A. V. S. Hill, “Variations in the NRAMP1 gene and susceptibility to tuberculosis in West Africans,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 10, pp. 640–644, 1998.
- S. Ryu, Y. K. Park, G. H. Bai, S. J. Kim, S. N. Park, and S. Kang, “3'UTR polymorphisms in the NRAMP1 gene are associated with susceptibility to tuberculosis in Koreans,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 577–580, 2000.
- J. H. Kim, S. Y. Lee, S. H. Lee et al., “NRAMP1 genetic polymorphisms as a risk factor of tuberculous pleurisy,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 370–375, 2003.
- W. Liu, W. C. Cao, C. Y. Zhang et al., “VDR and NRAMP1 gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis among the Chinese Han population: a case-control study,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 428–434, 2004.
- J. C. Delgado, A. Baena, S. Thim, and A. E. Goldfeld, “Ethnic-specific genetic associations with pulmonary tuberculosis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 186, no. 10, pp. 1463–1468, 2002.
- Y. S. Liaw, J. J. Tsai-Wu, C. H. Wu et al., “Variations in the NRAMP1 gene and susceptibility of tuberculosis in Taiwanese,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 454–460, 2002.
- S. Vejbaesya, N. Chierakul, P. Luangtrakool, and C. Sermduangprateep, “NRAMP1 and TNF-α polymorphisms and susceptibility to tuberculosis in Thais,” Respirology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 202–206, 2007.
- J. El Baghdadi, N. Remus, A. Benslimane et al., “Variants of the human NRAMP1 gene and susceptibility to tuberculosis in Morocco,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 599–602, 2003.
- C. Søborg, A. B. Andersen, H. O. Madsen, A. Kok-Jensen, P. Skinhøj, and P. Garred, “Natural resistance-associated macrophage protein 1 polymorphisms are associated with microscopy-positive tuberculosis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 186, no. 4, pp. 517–521, 2002.
- M. A. Shaw, A. Collins, C. S. Peacock et al., “Evidence that genetic susceptibility to Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a Brazilian population is under oligogenic control: linkage study of the candidate genes NRAMP1 and TNFA,” Tubercle and Lung Disease, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 1997.
- K. A. Rockett, R. Brookes, I. Udalova, V. Vidal, A. V. S. Hill, and D. Kwiatkowski, “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 induces nitric oxide synthase and suppresses growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a human macrophage-like cell line,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 5314–5321, 1998.
- M. Denis, “Killing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis within human monocytes: activation by cytokines and calcitriol,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 200–206, 1991.
- R. Bellamy, C. Ruwende, T. Corrah et al., “Tuberculosis and chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Africans and variation in the vitamin D receptor gene,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 179, no. 3, pp. 721–724, 1999.
- R. J. Wilkinson, M. Llewelyn, Z. Toossi et al., “Influence of vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms on tuberculosis among Gujarati Asians in west London: a case-control study,” Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9204, pp. 618–621, 2000.
- M. B. Freǐdin, A. A. Rudko, O. V. Kolokolova, E. A. Ondar, A. K. Strelis, and V. P. Puzyrev, “A comparative analysis of tuberculosis susceptibility genetic make-up in Tuvinians and Russians,” Molekuliarnaia Biologiia, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 252–262, 2006.
- C. Søborg, A. B. Andersen, N. Range et al., “Influence of candidate susceptibility genes on tuberculosis in a high endemic region,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 2213–2220, 2007.
- P. Selvaraj, H. Uma, A. M. Reetha et al., “HLA antigen profile in pulmonary tuberculosis patients and their spouses,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 107, pp. 155–158, 1998.
- M. Ravikumar, V. Dheenadhayalan, K. Rajaram et al., “Associations of HLA-DRB1, DQB1 and DPB1 alleles with pulmonary tuberculosis in south India,” Tubercle and Lung Disease, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 309–317, 1999.
- A. Dubaniewicz, B. Lewko, G. Moszkowska, B. Zamorska, and J. Stepinski, “Molecular subtypes of the HLA-DR antigens in pulmonary tuberculosis,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 129–133, 2000.
- A. E. Goldfeld, J. C. Delgado, S. Thim et al., “Association of an HLA-DQ allele with clinical tuberculosis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 279, no. 3, pp. 226–228, 1998.
- Z. Lombard, D. Dalton, P. A. Venter, R. C. Williams, and L. Bornman, “Association of HLA-DR, -DQ, and vitamin D receptor alleles and haplotypes with tuberculosis in the Venda of South Africa,” Human Immunology, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 643–654, 2006.
- A. Dubaniewicz, G. Moszkowska, Z. Szczerkowska, and A. Hoppe, “Analysis of DQB1 allele frequencies in pulmonary tuberculosis: preliminary report,” Thorax, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 890–891, 2003.
- A. Dubaniewicz and G. Moszkowska, “Analysis of occurrence of DRB and DQ alleles in sarcoidosis and tuberculosis from Northern Poland,” Pneumonologia i Alergologia Polska, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, M. H. Park, E. Y. Song et al., “Association of HLA-DR and HLA-DQ genes with susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis in Koreans: preliminary evidence of associations with drug resistance, disease severity, and disease recurrence,” Human Immunology, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1074–1081, 2005.
- M. D. L. Rojas-Alvarado, M. L. Díaz-Mendoza, S. Said-Fernández, G. Caballero-Olín, and R. M. Cerda-Flores, “Association of pulmonary tuberculosis with HLA system antigens in Northeastern Mexico,” Gaceta Medica de Mexico, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 233–238, 2008.