- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 486290, 6 pages
Whole Blood Platelet Aggregation and Release Reaction Testing in Uremic Patients
1Department of Pathology, George Washington University Medical Center, 900 23rd Street NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
2Department of Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 12 June 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Valacchi
Copyright © 2013 Jay Zeck et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. L. Weigert and A. I. Schafer, “Uremic bleeding: pathogenesis and therapy,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 94–104, 1998.
- A. S. Sohal, A. S. Gangji, M. A. Crowther, and D. Treleaven, “Uremic bleeding: pathophysiology and clinical risk factors,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 417–422, 2006.
- A. U. Bilgin, I. Karadogan, M. Artac, A. Kizilors, R. Bilgin, and L. Undar, “Hemodialysis shortens long in vitro closure times as measured by the PFA-100,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. CR141–CR145, 2007.
- J. J. Zwaginga, M. J. W. Ijsseldijk, P. G. de Groot, J. Vos, R. L. J. de Bos Kuil, and J. J. Sixma, “Defects in platelet adhesion and aggregate formation in uremic bleeding disorder can be attributed to factors in plasma,” Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 733–744, 1991.
- M. Noris and G. Remuzzi, “Uremic bleeding: closing the circle after 30 years of controversies?” Blood, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 2569–2574, 1999.
- K. Pawlak, J. S. Malyszko, J. Malyszko, and M. Mysliwiec, “Effects of endothelin-1 on aggregation of normal and uremic platelets,” Pol J Pharmacol, vol. 48, pp. 185–190, 1996.
- S. A. Kozek-Langenecker, T. Masaki, H. Mohammad, W. Green, S. F. Mohammad, and A. K. Cheung, “Fibrinogen fragments and platelet dysfunction in uremia,” Kidney International, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 299–305, 1999.
- M. Bonomini, V. Sirolli, G. Merciaro et al., “Red blood cells may contribute to hypercoagulability in uraemia via enhanced surface exposure of phosphatidylserine,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 361–366, 2005.
- D. Kaw and D. Malhotra, “Platelet dysfunction and end-stage renal disease,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 317–322, 2006.
- P. Boccardo, G. Remuzzi, and M. Galbusera, “Platelet dysfunction in renal failure,” Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 579–589, 2004.
- M. F. Elshamaa, E. A. Elghoroury, and A. Helmy, “Intradialytic and postdialytic platelet activation, increased platelet phosphatidylserine exposure and ultrastructural changes in platelets in children with chronic uremia,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 230–239, 2009.
- M. Bonomini, S. Dottori, L. Amoroso, A. Arduini, and V. Sirolli, “Increased platelet phosphatidylserine exposure and caspase activation in chronic uremia,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 1275–1281, 2004.
- G. E. Linthorst, H. J. Avis, and M. Levi, “Uremic thrombocytopathy is not about urea,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 753–755, 2010.
- G. V. R. Born, “Aggregation of blood platelets by adenosine diphosphate and its reversal,” Nature, vol. 194, no. 4832, pp. 927–929, 1962.
- V. Sirolli, L. Strizzi, S. di Stante, I. Robuffo, A. Procopio, and M. Bonomini, “Platelet activation and platelet-erythrocyte aggregates in end-stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 834–839, 2001.
- A. M. Dyszkiewicz-Korpanty, E. P. Frenkel, and R. Sarode, “Approach to the assessment of platelet function: comparison between optical-based platelet-rich plasma and impedance-based whole blood platelet aggregation methods,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2005.
- D. C. Cardinal and R. J. Flower, “The electronic aggregometer: a novel device for assessing platelet behavior in blood,” Journal of Pharmacological Methods, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 135–158, 1980.
- K. Waki, A. Hayashi, S. Ikeda et al., “Measuring platelet aggregation in dialysis patients with a whole blood aggregometer by the screen filtration pressure method,” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 203–206, 2011.
- G. Remuzzi, A. Benigni, and P. Dodesini, “Reduced platelet thromboxane formation in uremia. Evidence for a functional cyclooxygenase defect,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 762–768, 1983.
- A. S. Levey, P. E. de Jong, J. Coresh et al., “The definition, classification, and prognosis of chronic kidney disease: a KDIGO Controversies Conference report,” Kidney International, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 17–28, 2011.
- B. A. Konkle, “Acquired disorders of platelet function,” Hematology, vol. 2011, pp. 391–396, 2011.
- C. M. Ingerman-Wojenski and M. J. Silver, “A quick method for screening platelet dysfunctions using the whole blood lumi-aggregometer,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 154–156, 1984.
- M. E. Carr Jr. and E. J. Martin, “Evolving techniques for monitoring clotting in plasma and whole blood samples,” Clinical Laboratory, vol. 50, no. 9-10, pp. 539–549, 2004.
- D. F. Brophy, E. J. Martin, S. L. Carr, B. Kirschbaum, and M. E. Carr Jr., “The effect of uremia on platelet contractile force, clot elastic modulus and bleeding time in hemodialysis patients,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 723–729, 2007.
- S.-J. Ho, R. Gemmell, and T. A. Brighton, “Platelet function testing in uraemic patients,” Hematology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2008.
- J. Joist, G. Remuzzi, and P. Mannucci, “Abnormal bleeding and thrombosis in renal disease,” in Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice Philadelphia, R. Colman, J. Hirsh, V. Marder, and E. Salzman, Eds., pp. 921–935, J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1994.
- T. A. Depner, “Uremic toxicity: urea and beyond,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 246–251, 2001.
- M. Winter, G. Frampton, and A. Bennett, “Synthesis of thromboxane B2 in uraemia and the effects of dialysis,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 265–272, 1983.
- A. Bloom, M. Greaves, F. E. Preston, and C. B. Brown, “Evidence against a platelet cyclooxygenase defect in uraemic subjects on chronic haemodialysis,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 143–149, 1986.
- I. Pietrzak, M. Komarnicki, and D. Zaremba-Drobnik, “Platelet aggregation and prostaglandin metabolism in uremic patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. S111–S114, 2001.
- M. Pai, G. Wang, K. A. Moffat et al., “Diagnostic usefulness of a lumi-aggregometer adenosine triphosphate release assay for the assessment of platelet function disorders,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 350–358, 2011.
- M. E. Carr Jr., “Development of platelet contractile force as a research and clinical measure of platelet function,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 55–78, 2003.
- P. Harrison, “Measuring platelet function?” Hematology Journal, vol. 5, supplement 3, pp. S164–S169, 2004.