- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 489574, 8 pages
Pulmonary Hypertension in Portugal: First Data from a Nationwide Registry
1Department of Cardiology, Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra, Centro Hospitalar e Universitário de Coimbra, Praceta Mota Pinto, 3000 Coimbra, Portugal
2Institute for Biomedical Imaging and Life Sciences, Faculty of Medicine of University of Coimbra, Azinhaga de Santa Comba, 3000 Coimbra, Portugal
3Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Geral de Santo António, Centro Hospitalar do Porto, Largo Professor Abel Salazar, 4099 Porto, Portugal
4Department of Cardiology, Hospital Santa Marta, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central, Rua de Santa Marta, 1169 Lisboa, Portugal
5Department of Pneumology, Hospital Santos Silva, Centro Hospitalar Gaia/Espinho, Rua Conceição Fernandes, 4434 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
6Department of Cardiology, Hospital de Santa Maria, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Norte, Avenida Professor Egas Moniz, 1649 Lisboa, Portugal
Received 8 April 2013; Accepted 26 August 2013
Academic Editor: Zhirong Sun
Copyright © 2013 Rui Baptista et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. E. D'Alonzo, R. J. Barst, S. M. Ayres et al., “Survival in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 343–349, 1991.
- M. Humbert, O. Sitbon, and G. Simonneau, “Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 14, pp. 1425–1473, 2004.
- M. Humbert, G. Simonneau, and L. J. Rubin, “A decade of achievement in pulmonary hypertension,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 20, no. 122, pp. 215–217, 2011.
- M. Humbert, O. Sitbon, A. Chaouat et al., “Survival in patients with idiopathic, familial, and anorexigen-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension in the modern management era,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 156–163, 2010.
- V. V. McLaughlin, “Looking to the future: a new decade of pulmonary arterial hypertension therapy,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 20, no. 122, pp. 262–269, 2011.
- S. Hatano and T. Strasser, “Primary pulmonary hypertension?” Report on A WHO Meeting, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1973.
- G. Simonneau, I. M. Robbins, M. Beghetti et al., “Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. S43–S54, 2009.
- A. Reis, N. Rocha, R. Barros et al., “Guidelines for the management of pulmonary hypertension patients,” Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia, vol. 17, pp. S7–S85, 2010.
- N. Galiè, M. M. Hoeper, M. Humbert et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS), endorsed by the Internat,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 2493–2537, 2009.
- A. M. Keogh, E. Mayer, R. L. Benza et al., “Interventional and surgical modalities of treatment in pulmonary hypertension,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, supplement 1, pp. S67–S77, 2009.
- N. Galiè, A. Manes, L. Negro, M. Palazzini, M. L. Bacchi-Reggiani, and A. Branzi, “A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension,” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 394–403, 2009.
- M. Humbert, O. Sitbon, A. Chaouat et al., “Pulmonary arterial hypertension in France: results from a national registry,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 173, no. 9, pp. 1023–1030, 2006.
- Z.-C. Jing, X.-Q. Xu, Z.-Y. Han et al., “Registry and survival study in Chinese patients with idiopathic and familial pulmonary arterial hypertension,” Chest, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 373–379, 2007.
- A. J. Peacock, N. F. Murphy, J. J. V. McMurrey, L. Caballero, and S. Stewart, “An epidemiological study of pulmonary arterial hypertension,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 104–109, 2007.
- T. Thenappan, S. J. Shah, S. Rich, and M. Gomberg-Maitland, “A USA-based registry for pulmonary arterial hypertension: 1982-2006,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1103–1110, 2007.
- M. D. McGoon, A. Krichman, H. W. Farber et al., “Design of the REVEAL registry for US patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 923–931, 2008.
- C. Tueller, H. Stricker, P. Soccal et al., “Epidemiology of pulmonary hypertension: new data from the swiss registry,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 138, no. 25-26, pp. 379–384, 2008.
- M. Gomberg-Maitland and E. D. Michelakis, “A global pulmonary arterial hypertension registry: is it needed? Is it feasible?” Chest, vol. 137, supplement, no. 6, pp. 95S–101S, 2010.
- N. Galiè, M. M. Hoeper, M. Humbert et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1219–1263, 2009.
- R. L. Benza, D. P. Miller, M. Gomberg-Maitland et al., “Predicting survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension: insights from the registry to evaluate early and long-term pulmonary arterial hypertension disease management (REVEAL),” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 164–172, 2010.
- S. Rich, D. R. Dantzker, S. M. Ayres et al., “Primary pulmonary hypertension: a national prospective study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 107, pp. 216–223, 1987.
- M. Fischler, R. Speich, L. Dorschner et al., “Pulmonary hypertension in Switzerland: treatment and clinical course,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 138, no. 25-26, pp. 371–378, 2008.
- X. Jaïs, A. M. D'Armini, P. Jansa et al., “Bosentan for treatment of inoperable chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 25, pp. 2127–2134, 2008.
- V. Pengo, A. W. A. Lensing, M. H. Prins et al., “Incidence of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension after pulmonary embolism,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 22, pp. 2257–2323, 2004.
- R. Souza, M. Humbert, B. Sztrymf et al., “Pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with fenfluramine exposure: report of 109 cases,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 343–348, 2008.
- A. E. Frost, D. B. Badesch, R. J. Barst et al., “The changing picture of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension in the United States: how REVEAL differs from historic and non-US contemporary registries,” Chest, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 128–137, 2011.
- E. Hachulla, V. Gressin, L. Guillevin et al., “Early detection of pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: a French nationwide prospective multicenter study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 3792–3800, 2005.
- N. Galiè, L. Rubin, M. Hoeper et al., “Treatment of patients with mildly symptomatic pulmonary arterial hypertension with bosentan (EARLY study): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9630, pp. 2093–2100, 2008.
- R. Condliffe, D. G. Kiely, J. S. R. Gibbs et al., “Improved outcomes in medically and surgically treated chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 10, pp. 1122–1127, 2008.
- H. A. Ghofrani, O. Distler, F. Gerhardt et al., “Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH): updated recommendations of the Cologne Consensus Conference 2011,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 154, supplement 1, pp. S20–S33, 2011.
- W. E. Hopkins, L. L. Ochoa, G. W. Richardson, and E. P. Trulock, “Comparison of the hemodynamics and survival of adults with severe primary pulmonary hypertension or Eisenmenger syndrome,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 1996.
- R. J. Hughes, X. Jais, D. Bonderman et al., “The efficacy of bosentan in inoperable chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: a 1-year follow-up study,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 138–143, 2006.
- L. Abenhaim, Y. Moride, F. Brenot et al., “Appetite-suppressant drugs and the risk of primary pulmonary hypertension. International Primary Pulmonary Hypertension Study Group,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, pp. 609–616, 1996.
- L. Appelbaum, M. Yigla, D. Bendayan et al., “Primary pulmonary hypertension in Israel: A national survey,” Chest, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1801–1806, 2001.
- V. V. McLaughlin and S. Suissa, “Prognosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension: the power of clinical registries of rare diseases,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 106–108, 2010.