- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 490964, 5 pages
Hyperglycemia Increases Susceptibility to Ischemic Necrosis
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, University Hospitals of Geneva and Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Received 27 October 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jorge Berlanga Acosta
Copyright © 2013 D. Lévigne et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Apelqvist, “Diagnostics and treatment of the diabetic foot,” Endocrine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 384–397, 2012.
- G. E. Reiber, D. G. Smith, L. Vileikyte et al., “Causal pathways for incident lower-extremity ulcers in patients with diabetes from two settings,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, supplement 1, pp. 157–162, 1999.
- J. Apelqvist, K. Bakker, W. H. van Houtum, and N. C. Schaper, “Practical guidelines on the management and prevention of the diabetic foot,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. S181–S187, 2008.
- M. M. Iversen, G. S. Tell, T. Riise et al., “History of foot ulcer increases mortality among individuals with diabetes: ten-year follow-up of the Nord-Trondelag Health Study, Norway,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2193–2199, 2009.
- J. Escandon, A. C. Vivas, J. Tang, K. J. Rowland, and R. S. Kirsner, “High mortality in patients with chronic wounds,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 526–528, 2011.
- G. Jörneskog, K. Brismar, and B. Fagrell, “Pronounced skin capillary ischemia in the feet of diabetic patients with bad metabolic control,” Diabetologia, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 410–415, 1998.
- G. Jorneskog, “Why critical limb ischemia criteria are not applicable to diabetic foot and what the consequences are,” Scandinavian Journal of Surgery, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 114–118, 2012.
- E. J. Boyko, J. H. Ahroni, V. Stensel, R. C. Forsberg, D. R. Davignon, and D. G. Smith, “A prospective study of risk factors for diabetic foot ulcer: the seattle diabetic foot study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1036–1042, 1999.
- N. Alizadeh, M. S. Pepper, A. Modarressi et al., “Persistent ischemia impairs myofibroblast development in wound granulation tissue: a new model of delayed wound healing,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 809–816, 2007.
- J. A. Dormandy and R. B. Rutherford, “Management of peripheral arterial disease (PAD). TASC Working Group. TransAtlantic Inter-Society Consensus (TASC),” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. S1–S296, 2000.
- W. B. Kannel, “Risk factors for atherosclerotic cardiovascular outcomes in different arterial territories,” Journal of Cardiovascular Risk, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 333–339, 1994.
- B. Lin, M. D. Ginsberg, and R. Busto, “Hyperglycemic but not normoglycemic global ischemia induces marked early intraneuronal expression of β-amyloid precursor protein,” Brain Research, vol. 888, no. 1, pp. 107–116, 2001.
- G. de Courten-Myers, R. E. Myers, and L. Schoolfield, “Hyperglycemia enlarges infarct size in cerebrovascular occlusion in cats,” Stroke, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 623–630, 1988.
- B. Lin, M. D. Ginsberg, and R. Busto, “Hyperglycemic exacerbation of neuronal damage following forebrain ischemia: microglial, astrocytic and endothelial alterations,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 610–620, 1998.
- I. Eitel, S. Hintze, S. de Waha, et al., “Prognostic impact of hyperglycemia in non-diabetic and diabetic patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction: insights from contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging,” Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 708–718, 2012.
- M. J. Luitse, G. J. Biessels, G. E. Rutten, et al., “Diabetes, hyperglycaemia, and acute ischaemic stroke,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 261–271, 2012.
- N. J. J. MacDougall and K. W. Muir, “Hyperglycaemia and infarct size in animal models of middle cerebral artery occlusion: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 807–818, 2011.
- O. P. Ganda and C. F. Arkin, “Hyperfibrinogenemia: an important risk factor for vascular complications in diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1245–1250, 1992.
- M. E. Carr, “Diabetes mellitus: a hypercoagulable state,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 44–54, 2001.
- B. A. Lemkes, J. Hermanides, J. H. Devries, F. Holleman, J. C. M. Meijers, and J. B. L. Hoekstra, “Hyperglycemia: a prothrombotic factor?” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1663–1669, 2010.
- N. T. Gentile, V. R. Vaidyula, U. Kanamalla, M. DeAngelis, J. Gaughan, and A. K. Rao, “Factor VIIa and tissue factor procoagulant activity in diabetes mellitus after acute ischemic stroke: impact of hyperglycemia,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 1007–1013, 2007.
- M. Kalani, A. Silveira, M. Blombäck et al., “Beneficial effects of dalteparin on haemostatic function and local tissue oxygenation in patients with diabetes, severe vascular disease and foot ulcers,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 653–661, 2007.
- S. W. Suh, B. S. Shin, H. Ma et al., “Glucose and NADPH oxidase drive neuronal superoxide formation in stroke,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 654–663, 2008.
- I. Olmez and H. Ozyurt, “Reactive oxygen species and ischemic cerebrovascular disease,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 208–212, 2012.
- O. Blokhina, E. Virolainen, and K. V. Fagerstedt, “Antioxidants, oxidative damage and oxygen deprivation stress: a review,” Annals of Botany, vol. 91, pp. 179–194, 2003.
- Y. Niu, X. Cao, F. Song, et al., “Reduced dermis thickness and AGE accumulation in diabetic abdominal skin,” International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 224–230, 2012.
- Y. Niu, T. Xie, K. Ge, Y. Lin, and S. Lu, “Effects of extracellular matrix glycosylation on proliferation and apoptosis of human dermal fibroblasts via the receptor for advanced glycosylated end products,” American Journal of Dermatopathology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 344–351, 2008.
- N. D. Kruyt, G. J. Biessels, J. H. Devries, and Y. B. Roos, “Hyperglycemia in acute ischemic stroke: pathophysiology and clinical management,” Nature Reviews Neurology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2010.
- K. Katsura, B. Asplund, A. Ekholm, and B. K. Siesjo, “Extra- and intracellular pH in the brain during ischaemia, related to tissue lactate content in normo- and hypercapnic rats,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 166–176, 1992.
- P. English and G. Williams, “Hyperglycaemic crises and lactic acidosis in diabetes mellitus,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 80, no. 943, pp. 253–261, 2004.
- A. Schurr, “Lactate, glucose and energy metabolism in the ischemic brain (Review),” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 131–136, 2002.
- R. E. Anderson, W. K. Tan, H. S. Martin, and F. B. Meyer, “Effects of glucose and PaO2 modulation on cortical intracellular acidosis, NADH redox state, and infarction in the ischemic penumbra,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 160–170, 1999.