- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 493128, 6 pages
HIV Related High Risk Behaviors and Willingness to Participate in HIV Vaccine Trials among China MSM by Computer Assisted Self-Interviewing Survey
1Key Laboratory of AIDS Immunology of Ministry of Health, Department of Laboratory Medicine, The First Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
2Collaborative Innovation Center for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, Hangzhou 310000, China
3National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 102206, China
4Liaoning Provincial CDC, Shenyang 110005, China
Received 20 August 2013; Accepted 1 November 2013
Academic Editor: Lucia Lopalco
Copyright © 2013 Zhenxing Chu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNAIDS and WHO. GLOBAL HIV/AIDS RESPONSE, “Epidemic update and health sector progress towards Universal Access Progress Report 2011,” 2011, http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/progress_report2011/summary_en.pdf.
- Ministry of Health, People's Republic of China, “2011 estimates for the HIV/AIDS epidemic in China,” Chinese Journal of AIDS & STD, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2012.
- Ministry of Health and People's Republic of China, “2009 estimates for the HIV/AIDS epidemic in China: Ministry of Health, People's Republic of China, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS,” World Health Organization, 2010, http://www.unaids.org.cn/en/index/Document_view.asp?id=413.
- D. Li, S. Li, Y. Liu, et al., “HIV incidence among men who have sex with men in Beijing: a prospective cohort study,” BMJ Open, vol. 2, no. 6, 2012.
- C. Hao, H. Yan, H. Yang et al., “The incidence of syphilis, HIV and HCV and associated factors in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Nanjing, China,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 199–201, 2011.
- X. Han, J. Xu, Z. Chu et al., “Screening acute hiv infections among chinese men who have sex with men from voluntary counseling & testing centers,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 12, Article ID e28792, 2011.
- Z. Peng, H. Yang, J. Norris et al., “HIV incidence and predictors associated with retention in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Yangzhou, Jiangsu Province, China,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e52731, 2012.
- B. Zhang, X. Li, T. Shi, L. Yang, and J. Zhang, “Estimates of China's gay /bisexual population and prevalence of HIV,” Chinese Journal of STD & AIDS Prevention and Control, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 197–199, 2002 (Chinese).
- H. Shang, J. Xu, X. Han, J. Spero Li, K. C. Arledge, and L. Zhang, “HIV prevention: bring safe sex to China,” Nature, vol. 485, pp. 576–577, 2012.
- S. Rerks-Ngarm, P. Pitisuttithum, S. Nitayaphan et al., “Vaccination with ALVAC and AIDSVAX to prevent HIV-1 infection in Thailand,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 23, pp. 2209–2220, 2009.
- “Phase-II clinical trial of self-developed HIV vaccine was started in China,” 2008, http://www.chinanews.com/jk/hyxw/news/2009/03-21/1611799.shtml.
- L. K. John, G. Loewenstein, and D. Prelec, “Measuring the prevalence of questionable research practices with incentives for truth telling,” Psychological Science, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 524–532, 2012.
- W. V. Slack, H. B. Kowaloff, R. B. Davis, T. Delbanco, S. E. Locke, and H. L. Bleich, “Test-eretest reliability in a computer-based medical history,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 73–76, 2011.
- J.-J. Xu, M. Zhang, K. Brown et al., “Syphilis and HIV seroconversion among a 12-month prospective cohort of men who have sex with men in Shenyang, China,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 432–439, 2010.
- Z. X. Chu, N. Ma, J. J. Xu, et al., “HIV prevalence and its associated factors among 2074 men who have sex with men(MSM) in Liaoning province, China,” Chinese Journal of Public Health, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 967–969, 2011.
- C. T. Vieira De Souza, C. M. Lowndes, C. Landman Szwarcwald, F. Sutmöller, and F. I. Bastos, “Willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trials among a sample of men who have sex with men, with and without a history of commercial sex, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,” AIDS Care, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 539–548, 2003.
- P. A. Newman, S. Roungprakhon, S. Tepjan, and S. Yim, “Preventive HIV vaccine acceptability and behavioral risk compensation among high-risk men who have sex with men and transgenders in Thailand,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 958–964, 2010.
- P. Van de Ven, L. Mao, J. Crawford et al., “Willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trials among HIV-negative gay men in Sydney, Australia,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 314–317, 2005.
- Q. Li, F. Luo, Z. Zhou et al., “Willingness to participate in HIV vaccine clinical trials among Chinese men who have sex with men,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 29, pp. 4638–4643, 2010.
- H. L. Wang, M. Zhang, Q. H. Hu, et al., “Prevalence of HIV/STD and risk behavior among men who have sex with men in Shenyang,” Chinese Journal of Public Health, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 995–997, 2008.
- P. A. Newman, N. Duan, E. T. Rudy, K. J. Roberts, and D. Swendeman, “Posttrial HIV vaccine adoption: concerns, motivators, and intentions among persons at risk for HIV,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 1393–1403, 2004.
- P. A. Newman, N. Duan, S.-J. Lee et al., “HIV vaccine acceptability among communities at risk: the impact of vaccine characteristics,” Vaccine, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2094–2101, 2006.
- P. A. Newman, S.-J. Lee, N. Duan et al., “Preventive hiv vaccine acceptability and behavioral risk compensation among a random sample of high-risk adults in los angeles (La voices): research briefs,” Health Services Research, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 2167–2179, 2009.
- S.-J. Lee, R. A. Brooks, P. A. Newman, D. Seiden, R. Sangthong, and N. Duan, “HIV vaccine acceptability among immigrant Thai residents in Los Angeles: a mixed-method approach,” AIDS Care, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1161–1168, 2008.
- H. Zou, Z. Wu, J. Yu et al., “Internet-facilitated, voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) clinic-based HIV testing among men who have sex with men in China,” PloS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, Article ID e51919, 2013.
- N. Yuntadilok, R. Timmuang, S. Timsard et al., “Eroding gains in safe sex behavior, HIV/AIDS knowledge, and risk perceptions among royal Thai Navy conscripts after 28 years of the AIDS epidemic in Thailand,” AIDS and Behavior, 2013.
- X. Zhang, C. Wang, W. Hengwei et al., “Risk factors of HIV infection and prevalence of co-infections among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China,” AIDS, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. S53–S57, 2007.
- G. Asiki, A. Abaasa, E. Ruzagira, et al., “Willingness to participate in HIV vaccine efficacy trials among high risk men and women from fishing communities along Lake Victoria in Uganda,” Vaccine, vol. 31, no. 44, pp. 5055–5061, 2013.
- V. Chakrapani, P. A. Newman, N. Singhal, J. Jerajani, and M. Shunmugam, “Willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trials among men who have sex with men in Chennai and Mumbai, India: a social ecological approach,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e51080, 2012.
- P. A. Newman, A. Daley, R. Halpenny, and M. Loutfy, “Community heroes or “high-risk” pariahs? Reasons for declining to enroll in an HIV vaccine trial,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1091–1097, 2008.
- N. Kiwanuka, A. Ssetaala, J. Mpendo, et al., “High HIV-1 prevalence, risk behaviours, and willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trials in fishing communities on Lake Victoria, Uganda,” Journal of the International AIDS Society, vol. 16, no. 1, Article ID 18621.
- L. Yin, Y. Zhang, H.-Z. Qian et al., “Willingness of Chinese injection drug users to participate in HIV vaccine trials,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 762–768, 2008.
- N. S. Abraham, J. M. Young, and M. J. Solomon, “A systematic review of reasons for nonentry of eligible patients into surgical randomized controlled trials,” Surgery, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 469–483, 2006.