- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 493696, 6 pages
Cardiovascular Disease and Hip Fracture among Older Inpatients in Beijing, China
1Medical Informatics Center, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Rd, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
2Yale University School of Medicine Program on Aging & Internal Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
3New York College of Medicine, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Received 3 April 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: M. Ilyas Kamboh
Copyright © 2013 Beibei Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Sennerby, H. Melhus, R. Gedeborg et al., “Cardiovascular diseases and risk of hip fracture,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 15, pp. 1666–1673, 2009.
- C. O. Stehman-Breen, D. J. Sherrard, A. M. Alem et al., “Risk factors for hip fracture among patients with end-stage renal disease,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 2200–2205, 2000.
- J. A. Grisso, J. L. Kelsey, B. L. Strom et al., “Risk factors for falls as a cause of hip fracture in women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 324, no. 19, pp. 1326–1331, 1991.
- E. Dennison, M. A. Mohamed, and C. Cooper, “Epidemiology of osteoporosis,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 617–629, 2006.
- J. Kanis, A. Oden, and O. Johnell, “Acute and long-term increase in fracture risk after hospitalization for stroke,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 702–706, 2001.
- C. Holroyd, C. Cooper, and E. Dennison, “Epidemiology of osteoporosis,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 671–685, 2008.
- T. E. Strandberg, “Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and risk of hip fracture,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 8, p. 731, 2010.
- F. P. Cappuccio, E. Meilahn, J. M. Zmuda, and J. A. Cauley, “High blood pressure and bone-mineral loss in elderly white women: a prospective study,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9183, pp. 971–975, 1999.
- W. B. Xia, S. L. He, A. M. Liu et al., “Rapidly increasing rates of hip fracture in Beijing, China,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 125–129, 2012.
- V. Finsen, “Improvements in general health among the elderly: a factor in the rising incidence of hip fractures?” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 200–203, 1988.
- G. Yang, L. Kong, W. Zhao et al., “Emergence of chronic non-communicable diseases in China,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9650, pp. 1697–1705, 2008.
- D. Spiegelman and E. Hertzmark, “Easy SAS calculations for risk or prevalence ratios and differences,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 199–200, 2005.
- T. Faresjo and A. Faresjo, “To match or not to match in epidemiological studies-same outcome but less power,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 325–332, 2010.
- U. Sennerby, B. Farahmand, A. Ahlbom, S. Ljunghall, and K. Michaëlsson, “Cardiovascular diseases and future risk of hip fracture in women,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1355–1362, 2007.
- J. A. Kanis, A. Odén, E. V. McCloskey, H. Johansson, D. A. Wahl, and C. Cooper, “A systematic review of hip fracture incidence and probability of fracture worldwide,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 2239–2256, 2012.
- M. C. Corti, G. Baggio, L. Sartori et al., “White matter lesions and the risk of incident hip fracture in older persons: results from the progetto veneto anziani study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 16, pp. 1745–1751, 2007.
- L. Nyberg and Y. Gustafson, “Fall prediction index for patients in stroke rehabilitation,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 716–721, 1997.