- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 494671, 7 pages
Stepwise Embryonic Toxicity of Silver Nanoparticles on Oryzias latipes
Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environmental Research, Kyungseo-Dong, Seo-gu, Incheon 404-170, Republic of Korea
Received 11 March 2013; Revised 3 May 2013; Accepted 7 May 2013
Academic Editor: Weibo Cai
Copyright © 2013 Jae-Gu Cho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Groneberg, M. Giersig, T. Welte, and U. Pison, “Nanoparticle-based diagnosis and therapy,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 643–648, 2006.
- S. C. Jeong, D. H. Lee, and J. S. Lee, “Production and characterization of an anti-angiogenic agent from Saccharomyces cerevisiae K-7,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1904–1911, 2006.
- M. Manabe, N. Tatarazako, and M. Kinoshita, “Uptake, excretion and toxicity of nano-sized latex particles on medaka (Oryzias latipes) embryos and larvae,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 105, pp. 576–581, 2011.
- M. de Wild, S. Berner, H. Suzuki, L. Ramoino, A. Baratoff, and T. A. Jung, “Molecular assembly and self-assembly: molecular nanoscience for future technologies,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1006, pp. 291–305, 2003.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- J. M. Balbus, A. D. Maynard, V. L. Colvin et al., “Meeting report: hazard assessment for nanoparticles-report from an interdisciplinary workshop,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 115, no. 11, pp. 1654–1659, 2007.
- S. Kashiwada, M. E. Ariza, T. Kawaguchi et al., “Silver nanocolloids disrupt medaka embryogenesis through vital gene expressions,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 46, pp. 6278–6287, 2012.
- V. Edwards-Jones, “The benefits of silver in hygiene, personal care and healthcare,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2009.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- S. W. P. Wijnhoven, W. J. G. M. Peijnenburg, C. A. Herberts et al., “Nano-silver—a review of available data and knowledge gaps in human and environmental risk assessment,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 109–138, 2009.
- K. W. H. Kwok, M. Auffan, A. R. Badireddy et al., “Uptake of silver nanoparticles and toxicity to early life stages of Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes): effect of coating materials,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 121, pp. 12059–12066, 2012.
- J. Liu and R. H. Hurt, “Ion release kinetics and particle persistence in aqueous nano-silver colloids,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 2169–2175, 2010.
- G. Laban, L. F. Nies, R. F. Turco, J. W. Bickham, and M. S. Sepúlveda, “The effects of silver nanoparticles on fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) embryos,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 185–195, 2010.
- R. J. Griffitt, K. Hyndman, N. D. Denslow, and D. S. Barber, “Comparison of molecular and histological changes in zebrafish gills exposed to metallic nanoparticles,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 404–415, 2009.
- T. M. Benn and P. Westerhoff, “Nanoparticle silver released into water from commercially available sock fabrics,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 4133–4139, 2008.
- E. Navarro, F. Piccapietra, B. Wagner et al., “Toxicity of silver nanoparticles to Chlamydomonas reinhardtii,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 8959–8964, 2008.
- R. J. Griffitt, J. Luo, J. Gao, J. C. Bonzongo, and D. S. Barber, “Effects of particle composition and species on toxicity of metallic nanomaterials in aquatic organisms,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1972–1978, 2008.
- P. V. Asharani, Y. Lian Wu, Z. Gong, and S. Valiyaveettil, “Toxicity of silver nanoparticles in zebrafish models,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 25, Article ID 255102, 2008.
- K. J. Lee, P. D. Nallathamby, L. M. Browning, C. J. Osgood, and X. H. Xu, “In vivo imaging of transport and biocompatibility of single silver nanoparticles in early development of zebrafish embryos,” ACS nano, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 133–143, 2007.
- Y. J. Chae, C. H. Pham, J. Lee, E. Bae, J. Yi, and M. B. Gu, “Evaluation of the toxic impact of silver nanoparticles on Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes),” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 320–327, 2009.
- OECD, Guideline for Testing of Chemicals, Guideline 203. Fish, Acute Toxicity Test, Organization of Economic Cooperation, Development, Paris, France, 1992.
- T. Iwamatsu, “Stages of normal development in the medaka Oryzias latipes,” Mechanisms of development, vol. 121, no. 7-8, pp. 605–618, 2004.
- OECD, Guideline for Testing of Chemicals, Guideline 212. Fish, Short-Term Toxicity Test on Embryo and Sac-Fry Stages, Organization of Economic Cooperation, Development, Paris, France, 1998.
- Y. Wu, Q. Zhou, H. Li, W. Liu, T. Wang, and G. Jiang, “Effects of silver nanoparticles on the development and histopathology biomarkers of Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) using the partial-life test,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 160–167, 2010.
- K. Bilberg, M. B. Hovgaard, F. Besenbacher, and E. Baatrup, “In vivo toxicity of silver nanoparticles and silver ions in zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 2012, Article ID 293784, 9 pages, 2012.
- J. E. Choi, S. Kim, J. H. Ahn et al., “Induction of oxidative stress and apoptosis by silver nanoparticles in the liver of adult zebrafish,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 151–159, 2010.
- D. Shahbazzadeh, H. Ahari, N. M. Rahimi et al., “The effects of nanosilver (Nanocid) on survival percentage of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss),” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1178–1179, 2009.
- A. Jahanbakhshi, F. Shaluei, and A. Hedayati, “Detection of silver nanoparticles (Nanosil) LC50 in silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) and goldfish (Carassius auratus),” World Journal of Zoology, vol. 7, pp. 126–130, 2012.
- S. M. Hoheisel, S. Diamond, and D. Mount, “Comparison of nanosilver and ionic silver toxicity in Daphnia magna and Pimephales promelas,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 31, pp. 2557–2563, 2012.
- Z. Wang, J. Chen, X. Li, J. Shao, and W. J. G. M. Peijnenburg, “Aquatic toxicity of nanosilver colloids to different trophic organisms: contributions of particles and free silver ion,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 31, pp. 2408–2413, 2012.
- O. Bar-Ilan, R. M. Albrecht, V. E. Fako, and D. Y. Furgeson, “Toxicity assessments of multisized gold and silver nanoparticles in zebrafish embryos,” Small, vol. 5, no. 16, pp. 1897–1910, 2009.
- M. Boudreau, S. C. Courtenay, D. L. MacLatchy, C. H. Bérubé, L. M. Hewitt, and G. J. Van Der Kraak, “Morphological abnormalities during early-life development of the estuarine mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus, as an indicator of androgenic and anti-androgenic endocrine disruption,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 357–369, 2005.
- M. Boudreau, S. C. Courtenay, D. L. MacLatchy, C. H. Bérubé, J. L. Parrott, and G. J. van der Kraak, “Utility of morphological abnormalities during early-life development of the estuarine mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus, as an indicator of estrogenic and antiestrogenic endocrine disruption,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 415–425, 2004.
- K. Osaki, S. Kashiwada, N. Tatarazako, and Y. Ono, “Toxicity testing of leachate from waste landfills using medaka (Oryzias latipes) for monitoring environmental safety,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 117, no. 1–3, pp. 73–84, 2006.
- K. E. Tollefsen, R. Mathisen, and J. Stenersen, “Estrogen mimics bind with similar affinity and specificity to the hepatic estrogen receptor in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar ) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss),” General and Comparative Endocrinology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 2002.
- A. Kahru and H. C. Dubourguier, “From ecotoxicology to nanoecotoxicology,” Toxicology, vol. 269, no. 2-3, pp. 105–119, 2010.
- S. Kashiwada, “Distribution of nanoparticles in the see-through medaka (Oryzias latipes),” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1697–1702, 2006.
- S. L. Oxendine, J. Cowden, D. E. Hinton, and S. Padilla, “Vulnerable windows for developmental ethanol toxicity in the Japanese medaka fish (Oryzias latipes),” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 396–404, 2006.
- M. González-Doncel, E. de la Peña, C. Barrueco, and D. E. Hinton, “Stage sensitivity of medaka (Oryzias latipes) eggs and embryos to permethrin,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 255–268, 2003.
- F. Gottschalk, T. Sonderer, R. W. Scholz, and B. Nowack, “Modeled environmental concentrations of engineered nanomaterials (TiO2, ZnO, Ag, CNT, fullerenes) for different regions,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 24, pp. 9216–9222, 2009.
- N. C. Mueller and B. Nowack, “Exposure modeling of engineered nanoparticles in the environment,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 4447–4453, 2008.