- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 496586, 12 pages
Production, Characterization and Antioxidant Potential of Protease from Streptomyces sp. MAB18 Using Poultry Wastes
1Marine Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Pukyong National University, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
2Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Faculty of Marine Sciences, Annamalai University, Parangipettai, Tamil Nadu 608 502, India
3Marine Bioprocess Research Center, Pukyong National University, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 20 June 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Periasamy Anbu
Copyright © 2013 Panchanathan Manivasagan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S.-B. Lin and F. J. Stutzenberger, “Purification and characterization of the major β-1,4-endoglucanase from Thermomonospora curvata,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 447–453, 1995.
- A. Abdel-Hafez, S. Mahmoud, E. Saleh, M. Abdel-Fatah, and S. Shehata, “Studies on the Keratinolytic enzymes of thermophilic actinomycetes: 1. Production of thermostable Keratinase enzyme and identification of Keratinolytic thermophilic actinomycete,” Egyptian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 30, pp. 203–222, 1995.
- C. Williams, C. Lee, J. Garlich, and J. C. H. Shih, “Evaluation of a bacterial feather fermentation product, feather-lysate, as a feed protein,” Poultry Science, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 85–94, 1991.
- C. M. Williams, C. S. Richter, J. M. MacKenzie Jr., and J. C. H. Shih, “Isolation, identification, and characterization of a feather-degrading bacterium,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1509–1515, 1990.
- B. Bockle, B. Galunsky, and R. Muller, “Characterization of a keratinolytic serine proteinase from Streptomyces pactum DSM 40530,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 3705–3710, 1995.
- M. E. M. Mabrouk, “Feather degradation by a new keratinolytic Streptomyces sp. MS-2,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 2331–2338, 2008.
- A. H. Mohamedin, “Isolation, identification and some cultural conditions of a protease- producing thermophilic Streptomyces strain grown on chicken feather as a substrate,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 43, no. 1-2, pp. 13–21, 1999.
- H. Nonomura, “Key for classification and identification of 458 species of the Streptomycetes included in ISP,” Journal of Fermentation Technology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 78–92, 1974.
- F. Ausubel, R. Brent, R. Kingston, E. Moore, et al., Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, Greene Publishing Association, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1972.
- J. R. Marchesi, T. Sato, A. J. Weightman et al., “Design and evaluation of useful bacterium-specific PCR primers that amplify genes coding for bacterial 16S rRNA,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 6, p. 2333, 1998.
- J. D. Thompson, T. J. Gibson, F. Plewniak, F. Jeanmougin, and D. G. Higgins, “The CLUSTAL X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 4876–4882, 1997.
- A. Gessesse, R. Hatti-Kaul, B. A. Gashe, and B. Mattiasson, “Novel alkaline proteases from alkaliphilic bacteria grown on chicken feather,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 519–524, 2003.
- S. W. Cheng, H. M. Hu, S. W. Shen, H. Takagi, M. Asano, and Y. C. Tsai, “Production and characterization of keratinase of a feather-degrading Bacillus licheniformis PWD-1,” Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 2239–2243, 1995.
- A. A. Kembhavi, A. Kulkarni, and A. Pant, “Salt-tolerant and thermostable alkaline protease from Bacillus subtilis NCIM No. 64,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 83–92, 1993.
- R. L. Plackett and J. P. Burman, “The design of optimum multifactorial experiments,” Biometrika, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 305–325, 1946.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of biological chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- S. U. Phadatare, V. V. Deshpande, and M. C. Srinivasan, “High activity alkaline protease from Conidiobolus coronatus (NCL 86.8.20): enzyme production and compatibility with commercial detergents,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 72–76, 1993.
- D. Jain, I. Pancha, S. K. Mishra, A. Shrivastav, and S. Mishra, “Purification and characterization of haloalkaline thermoactive, solvent stable and SDS-induced protease from Bacillus sp.: a potential additive for laundry detergents,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 115, pp. 228–236, 2012.
- A. K. Mukherjee, M. Borah, and S. K. Rai, “To study the influence of different components of fermentable substrates on induction of extracellular α-amylase synthesis by Bacillus subtilis DM-03 in solid-state fermentation and exploration of feasibility for inclusion of α-amylase in laundry detergent formulations,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2009.
- P. Bersuder, M. Hole, and G. Smith, “Antioxidants from a heated histidine-glucose model system. I: investigation of the antioxidant role of histidine and isolation of antioxidants by high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 1998.
- C. Beauchamp and I. Fridovich, “Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 276–287, 1971.
- C. A. Martinez, M. E. Loureiro, M. A. Oliva, and M. Maestri, “Differential responses of superoxide dismutase in freezing resistant Solanum curtilobum and freezing sensitive Solanum tuberosum subjected to oxidative and water stress,” Plant Science, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 505–515, 2001.
- S. Sreejayan and M. N. A. Rao, “Nitric oxide scavenging by curcuminoids,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 105–107, 1997.
- M. Oyaizu, “Antioxidative activities of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine,” Japanese Journal of Nutrition, vol. 44, pp. 307–315, 1986.
- T. C. P. Dinis, V. M. C. Madeira, and L. M. Almeida, “Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 161–169, 1994.
- L. A. I. De Azeredo, D. M. G. Freire, R. M. A. Soares, S. G. F. Leite, and R. R. R. Coelho, “Production and partial characterization of thermophilic proteases from Streptomyces sp. isolated from Brazilian cerrado soil,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 34, no. 3-4, pp. 354–358, 2004.
- B. Jaouadi, B. Abdelmalek, D. Fodil et al., “Purification and characterization of a thermostable keratinolytic serine alkaline proteinase from Streptomyces sp. strain AB1 with high stability in organic solvents,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8361–8369, 2010.
- J. T. Thumar and S. P. Singh, “Secretion of an alkaline protease from a salt-tolerant and alkaliphilic, Streptomyces clavuligerus strain MIT-1,” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 766–772, 2007.
- J. Chun, K. S. B. Kyung Sook Bae, E. Y. M. Eun Young Moon, S.-O. Jung, H. K. L. Hong Kum Lee, and S.-J. Kim, “Nocardiopsis kunsanensis sp. nov., a moderately halophilic actinomycete isolated from a saltern,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1909–1913, 2000.
- S. Shastry and M. S. Prasad, “Extracellular protease from Pseudomonas sp. (CL 1457) active against Xanthomonas campestris,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 611–621, 2002.
- K. Shimada, K. Fujikawa, K. Yahara, and T. Nakamura, “Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 945–948, 1992.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, university press Oxford, Oxford, UK, 1999.
- N. Tuteja, M. Chandra, R. Tuteja, and M. K. Misra, “Nitric oxide as a unique bioactive signaling messenger in physiology and pathophysiology,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2004, no. 4, pp. 227–237, 2004.
- S. Moncada, R. M. J. Palmer, and E. A. Higgs, “Nitric oxide: physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 109–142, 1991.
- Y.-G. Tu, Y.-Z. Sun, Y.-G. Tian, M.-Y. Xie, and J. Chen, “Physicochemical characterisation and antioxidant activity of melanin from the muscles of Taihe Black-bone silky fowl (Gallus gallus domesticus Brisson),” Food Chemistry, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 1345–1350, 2009.
- S. Vimala, M. Ilham, A. Rashih, S. Rohana, and M. Juliza, “Antioxidant and skin whitening standardized extracts: cosmeceutical and neutraceutical products development and commercialization in FRIM,” in Highlights of FRIM's IRPA Projects 2005: Identifying Potential Commercial Collaborations, N. Zanariah, Ed., Forest Research Institute Malaysia, 2006.
- P.-D. Duh, “Antioxidant activity of burdock (Arctium lappa linné): its scavenging effect on free-radical and active oxygen,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 455–461, 1998.
- A. T. Diplock, “Will the ‘good fairies’ please prove to us that vitamin E lessens human degenerative disease?” Free Radical Research, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 511–532, 1997.
- F. Yamaguchi, T. Ariga, Y. Yoshimura, and H. Nakazawa, “Antioxidative and anti-glycation activity of garcinol from Garcinia indica fruit rind,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2000.
- P.-D. Duh, Y.-Y. Tu, and G.-C. Yen, “Antioxidant Activity of Water Extract of Harng Jyur (Chrysanthemum morifolium Ramat),” Food Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 269–277, 1999.