- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 497485, 9 pages
Locally Applied Valproate Enhances Survival in Rats after Neocortical Treatment with Tetanus Toxin and Cobalt Chloride
1Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacher Straße 64, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
2Section of Clinical Neuropharmacology, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacher Straße 64, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
3Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacher Straße 64, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 24 July 2013; Accepted 8 August 2013
Academic Editor: Mauro S. Oliveira
Copyright © 2013 Dirk-Matthias Altenmüller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kammerer, M. Fabritius, C. Carvalho, R. Mülhaupt, T. J. Feuerstein, and R. Trittler, “Valproate release from polycaprolactone implants prepared by 3D-bioplotting,” Pharmazie, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 511–516, 2011.
- W. Löscher, “Critical review of current animal models of seizures and epilepsy used in the discovery and development of new antiepileptic drugs,” Seizure, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 359–368, 2011.
- J. H. Chang, X. F. Yang, J. M. Zempel, and S. M. Rothman, “The unilateral cobalt wire model of neocortical epilepsy: a method of producing subacute focal seizures in rodents,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 61, no. 1–3, pp. 153–160, 2004.
- R. J. Tamargo, L. A. Rossell, E. H. Kossoff, B. M. Tyler, M. G. Ewend, and J. J. Aryanpur, “The intracerebral administration of phenytoin using controlled-release polymers reduces experimental seizures in rats,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2002.
- R. S. Dow, A. Fernández-Guardiola, and E. Manni, “The production of cobalt experimental epilepsy in the rat,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 399–407, 1962.
- R. C. Dow, J. K. McQueen, and H. R. Townsend, “The production and detection of epileptogenic lesions in rat cerebral cortex,” Epilepsia, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 459–465, 1972.
- B. K. Colasanti, E. R. Hartman, and C. R. Craig, “Electrocorticogram and behavioral correlates during the development of chronic cobalt experimental epilepsy in the rat,” Epilepsia, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 361–373, 1974.
- K. E. Nilsen, M. C. Walker, and H. R. Cock, “Characterization of the tetanus toxin model of refractory focal neocortical epilepsy in the rat,” Epilepsia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 179–187, 2005.
- G. Paxinos and C. Watson, The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates, Academic Press, Amsterdam, The Netherland; Elsevier, Boston, Mass, USA, 6th edition, 2007.
- R. C. Dow, J. C. Forfar, and J. K. McQueen, “The effects of some anticonvulsant drugs on cobalt induced epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 1973.
- C. R. Craig, P. Chiu, and B. K. Colasanti, “Effects of diphenylhydantoin and trimethadione on seizure activity during cobalt experimental epilepsy in the rat,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 485–489, 1976.
- B. K. Colasanti and C. R. Craig, “Reduction of seizure frequency by clonazepam during cobalt experimental epilepsy,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 329–331, 1992.
- C. R. Craig and B. K. Colasanti, “Reduction of frequency of seizures by carbamazepine during cobalt experimental epilepsy in the rat,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 813–816, 1992.
- R. D'Ambrosio, J. P. Fairbanks, J. S. Fender, D. E. Born, D. L. Doyle, and J. W. Miller, “Post-traumatic epilepsy following fluid percussion injury in the rat,” Brain, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 304–314, 2004.
- H. Stefan and T. J. Feuerstein, “Novel anticonvulsant drugs,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 165–183, 2007.
- K. Brener, Y. Amitai, J. G. Jefferys, and M. J. Gutnick, “Chronic epileptic foci in neocortex: in vivo and in vitro effects of tetanus toxin,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 1991.
- F. Liang, L. D. Le, and E. G. Jones, “Reciprocal up- and down-regulation of BDNF mRNA in tetanus toxin- induced epileptic focus and inhibitory surround in cerebral cortex,” Cerebral Cortex, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 481–491, 1998.
- H. van Duijn and M. K. Beckmann, “Dipropylacetic acid (Depakine) in experimental epilepsy in the alert cat,” Epilepsia, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 1975.
- N. Y. Walton and D. M. Treiman, “Valproic acid treatment of experimental status epilepticus,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 199–205, 1992.
- D. Y. Zhao, G. J. Feng, X. R. Wu, and Q. H. Zuo, “Seizures induced by intraventricular microinjection of ionized cobalt in the rat—an new experimental model of epilepsy,” Brain Research, vol. 342, no. 2, pp. 323–329, 1985.
- W. Löscher and C. Brandt, “Prevention or modification of epileptogenesis after brain insults: experimental approaches and translational research,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 668–700, 2010.
- N. R. Temkin, S. S. Dikmen, G. D. Anderson et al., “Valproate therapy for prevention of posttraumatic seizures: a randomized trial,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 593–600, 1999.