- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 497492, 11 pages
New Bioactive Fungal Molecules with High Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Capacity Isolated from Cerrena unicolor Idiophasic Cultures
Department of Biochemistry, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Akademicka 19, 20-033 Lublin, Poland
Received 29 March 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 23 June 2013
Academic Editor: Elvira Gonzalez De Mejia
Copyright © 2013 Magdalena Jaszek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Xu, H. Yan, J. Chen, and X. Zhang, “Bioactive proteins from mushrooms,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 667–674, 2011.
- J. H. Wong, T. B. Ng, R. C. F. Cheung et al., “Proteins with antifungal properties and other medicinal applications from plants and mushrooms,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1221–1235, 2010.
- I. C. F. R. Ferreira, J. A. Vaz, M. H. Vasconcelos, and A. Martins, “Compounds from wild mushrooms with antitumor potential,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 424–436, 2010.
- S. P. Wasser, “Medicinal mushroom science: history, current status, future trends and unsolved problems,” International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2010.
- J. Erjavec, J. Kos, M. Ravnikar, T. Dreo, and J. Sabotič, “Proteins of higher fungi-from forest to application,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 259–273, 2012.
- X. J. Wu and C. Hansen, “Antioxidant capacity, phenolic content, and polysaccharide content of Lentinus edodes grown in whey permeate-based submerged culture,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. M1–M8, 2008.
- L. Fan, J. Li, K. Deng, and L. Ai, “Effects of drying methods on the antioxidant activities of polysaccharides extracted from Ganoderma lucidum,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 1849–1854, 2012.
- D. J. Jamieson, “The effect of oxidative stress on Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Redox Report, vol. 1, pp. 89–95, 1995.
- B. Halliwell, “Antioxidants and human disease: a general introduction,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 55, no. 1, part 2, pp. S44–S52, 1997.
- C. Thetsrimuang, S. Khammuang, K. Chiablaem, C. Srisomsap, and R. Sarnthima, “Antioxidant properties and cytotoxicity of crude polysaccharides from Lentinus polychrous Lév,” Food Chemistry, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 634–639, 2011.
- M. Kozarski, A. Klaus, M. Niksic, D. Jakovljevic, J. P. F. G. Helsper, and L. J. L. D. van Griensven, “Antioxidative and immunomodulating activities of polysaccharide extracts of the medicinal mushrooms Agaricus bisporus, Agaricus brasiliensis, Ganoderma lucidum and Phellinus linteus,” Food Chemistry, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 1667–1675, 2011.
- Y. Chen, M.-Y. Xie, S.-P. Nie, C. Li, and Y.-X. Wang, “Purification, composition analysis and antioxidant activity of a polysaccharide from the fruiting bodies of Ganoderma atrum,” Food Chemistry, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 231–241, 2008.
- J.-Y. Jung, I.-K. Lee, S.-J. Seok, H.-J. Lee, Y.-H. Kim, and B.-S. Yun, “Antioxidant polyphenols from the mycelial culture of the medicinal fungi Inonotus xeranticus and Phellinus linteus,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1824–1832, 2008.
- K. E. Hammel, A. N. Kapich, K. A. Jensen Jr., and Z. C. Ryan, “Reactive oxygen species as agents of wood decay by fungi,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 445–453, 2002.
- W. Chen, Z. Zhao, S.-F. Chen, and Y.-Q. Li, “Optimization for the production of exopolysaccharide from Fomes fomentarius in submerged culture and its antitumor effect in vitro,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 3187–3194, 2008.
- M. Jaszek, J. Zuchowski, E. Dajczak, K. Cimek, M. Graz, and K. Grzywnowicz, “Ligninolytic enzymes can participate in a multiple response system to oxidative stress in white-rot basidiomycetes: Fomes fomentarius and Tyromyces pubescens,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 58, no. 3-4, pp. 168–175, 2006.
- S. Ghorai, S. P. Banik, D. Verma, S. Chowdhury, S. Mukherjee, and S. Khowala, “Fungal biotechnology in food and feed processing,” Food Research International, vol. 42, no. 5-6, pp. 577–587, 2009.
- W. C. Roody, Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachians, University Press of Kentucky, 2003.
- C. Gonindard, C. Bergonzi, C. Denier et al., “Synthetic hispidin, a PKC inhibitor, is more cytotoxic toward cancer cells than normal cells in vitro,” Cell Biology and Toxicology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 141–153, 1997.
- J. Rogalski, A. Dawidowicz, E. Jóźwik, and A. Leonowicz, “Immobilization of laccase from Cerrena unicolor on controlled porosity glass,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 6, no. 1-2, pp. 29–39, 1999.
- G. Janusz, J. Rogalski, and J. Szczodrak, “Increased production of laccase by Cerrena unicolor in submerged liquid cultures,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1459–1464, 2007.
- J. Polak and A. Jarosz-Wilkolazka, “Fungal laccases as green catalysts for dye synthesis,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1295–1307, 2012.
- G. Janusz, K. H. Kucharzyk, A. Pawlik, M. Staszczak, and A. J. Paszczynski, “Fungal laccase, manganese peroxidase and lignin peroxidase: gene expression and regulation,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- H. X. Wang and T. B. Ng, “Purification of a novel low-molecular-mass laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom Tricholoma giganteum,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 315, no. 2, pp. 450–454, 2004.
- M. Li, G. Zhang, H. Wang, and T. Ng, “Purification and characterization of a laccase from the edible wild mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1069–1076, 2010.
- A. T. Martínez, M. Speranza, F. J. Ruiz-Dueñas et al., “Biodegradation of lignocellulosics: microbial, chemical, and enzymatic aspects of the fungal attack of lignin,” International Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 195–204, 2005.
- G. Janusz, A. Mazur, A. Checinsks, W. Malek, J. Rogalski, and S. Ohga, “Cloning and characterization of a lacease gene from biotechnologically important basidiomycete Cerrerna unicolor,” Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2012.
- D. Jennings and G. Lysek, Fungal Biology: Understanding the Fungal Lifestyle, BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd., Oxford, UK, 1999.
- N. N. Pozdnyakova, J. Rodakiewicz-Nowak, O. V. Turkovskaya, and J. Haber, “Oxidative degradation of polyaromatic hydrocarbons catalyzed by blue laccase from Pleurotus ostreatus D1 in the presence of synthetic mediators,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1242–1249, 2006.
- S. Freimund, M. Sauter, O. Käppeli, and H. Dutler, “A new non-degrading isolation process for 1,3-β-D-glucan of high purity from baker's yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 159–171, 2003.
- M. DuBois, K. A. Gilles, J. K. Hamilton, P. A. Rebers, and F. Smith, “Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 350–356, 1956.
- C. F. A. Hope and R. G. Burns, “Activity, origins and location of cellulases in a silt loam soil,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 164–170, 1987.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- E. Malarczyk, “Transformation of phenolic acids by Nocardia,” Acta Microbiologica Polonica, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 1998.
- A. Leonowicz and K. Grzywnowicz, “Quantitative estimation of laccase forms in some white-rot fungi using syringaldazine as a substrate,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 1981.
- Z. Cheng, G. Yan, Y. Li, and W. Chang, “Determination of antioxidant activity of phenolic antioxidants in a Fenton-type reaction system by chemiluminescence assay,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 375, no. 3, pp. 376–380, 2003.
- R. van den Berg, G. R. M. M. Haenen, H. van den Berg, and A. Bast, “Applicability of an improved Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay for evaluation of antioxidant capacity measurements of mixtures,” Food Chemistry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 511–517, 1999.
- L. Duo-Chuan, “Review of fungal chitinases,” Mycopathologia, vol. 161, no. 6, pp. 345–360, 2006.
- R. Re, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, “Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9-10, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- R. Paduch, G. Matysik, M. Wójciak-Kosior et al., “Lamium album extracts express free radical scavenging and cytotoxic activities,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 569–580, 2008.
- A. Leonowicz, L. Gianfreda, J. Rogalski et al., “Appearance of laccase in wood-rotting fungi and its inducibility,” Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology, vol. 25, pp. 29–36, 1997.
- J.-A. Majeau, S. K. Brar, and R. D. Tyagi, “Laccases for removal of recalcitrant and emerging pollutants,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 2331–2350, 2010.
- H. X. Wang and T. B. Ng, “Purification of a laccase from fruiting bodies of the mushroom Pleurotus eryngii,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 521–525, 2006.
- E. M. EL-Fakharany, B. M. Haroun, T. B. Ng, and E.-R. M. Redwan, “Oyster mushroom laccase inhibits hepatitis C virus entry into peripheral blood cells and hepatoma cells,” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1031–1039, 2010.
- G.-Q. Zhang, Y.-F. Wang, X.-Q. Zhang, T. B. Ng, and H.-X. Wang, “Purification and characterization of a novel laccase from the edible mushroom Clitocybe maxima,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 627–633, 2010.
- R. L. Prior, X. Wu, and K. Schaich, “Standardized methods for the determination of antioxidant capacity and phenolics in foods and dietary supplements,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 4290–4302, 2005.
- M. Zhang, S. W. Cui, P. C. K. Cheung, and Q. Wang, “Antitumor polysaccharides from mushrooms: a review on their isolation process, structural characteristics and antitumor activity,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 4–19, 2007.
- G. D. Manrique and F. M. Lajolo, “FT-IR spectroscopy as a tool for measuring degree of methyl esterification in pectins isolated from ripening papaya fruit,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2002.
- M. Kozarski, A. Klaus, M. Nikšić et al., “Antioxidative activities and chemical characterization of polysaccharide extracts from the widely used mushrooms Ganoderma applanatum, Ganoderma lucidum, Lentinus edodes and Trametes versicolor,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 26, no. 1-2, pp. 144–153, 2012.
- J. Jelsma and D. R. Kreger, “Polymorphism in crystalline (1→3)-α-d-glucan from fungal cell-walls,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 51–64, 1979.
- Y.-H. Tseng, J.-H. Yang, and J.-L. Mau, “Antioxidant properties of polysaccharides from Ganoderma tsugae,” Food Chemistry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 732–738, 2008.
- A. A. J. Carneiro, I. C. F. R. Ferreira, M. Dueñas et al., “Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of dried powder formulations of Agaricus blazei and Lentinus edodes,” Food Chemistry, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 2168–2173, 2013.
- S. Wasser, “Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 258–274, 2002.
- B. Stone and A. Clarke, Chemistry and Biology of (1, 3)-Β-Glucans, La Trobe University Press, 1992.
- A. Smânia, F. D. Monache, E. F. A. Smânia, M. L. Gil, L. C. Benchetrit, and F. S. Cruz, “Antibacterial activity of a substance produced by the fungus Pycnoporus sanguineus (Fr.) Murr,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 177–181, 1995.