- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 503421, 6 pages
Heart Rate Variability Is Associated with Survival in Patients with Brain Metastasis: A Preliminary Report
1Institute of Physiology, National Yang-Ming University, Beitou, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
2Department of Radiation Oncology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Niao-Sung, Kaohsiung 83306, Taiwan
3Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
4School of Traditional Chinese Medicine, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Kwei-Shan, Taoyuan 33302, Taiwan
5Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Beitou, Taipei 11217, Taiwan
Received 30 June 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Tsair-Fwu Lee
Copyright © 2013 Yu-Ming Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. R. Kleinberg, Brain Metastasis: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Demos, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- M. N. Tsao, D. Rades, A. Wirth et al., “Radiotherapeutic and surgical management for newly diagnosed brain metastasis(es): an American Society for Radiation Oncology evidence-based guideline,” Practical Radiation Oncology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 210–225, 2012.
- L. Gaspar, C. Scott, M. Rotman et al., “Recursive Partitioning Analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 745–751, 1997.
- J. Lorenzoni, D. Devriendt, N. Massager et al., “Radiosurgery for treatment of brain metastases: estimation of patient eligibility using three stratification systems,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 218–224, 2004.
- P. W. Sperduto, B. Berkey, L. E. Gaspar, M. Mehta, and W. Curran, “A new prognostic index and comparison to three other indices for patients with brain metastases: an analysis of 1,960 patients in the RTOG database,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 510–514, 2008.
- E. Weltman, J. V. Salvajoli, R. A. Brandt, et al., “Radiosurgery for brain metastases: a score index for predicting prognosis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1155–1161, 2000.
- C. Nieder and M. Molls, “Validation of graded prognostic assessment index for patients with brain metastases: in regard to Sperduto et al. (Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008;70:510-514),” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 72, no. 5, p. 1619, 2008.
- S. Villà, D. C. Weber, C. Moretones, et al., “Validation of the new graded prognostic assessment scale for brain metastases: A Multicenter Prospective Study,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 6, article 23, 2011.
- C. Nieder and M. P. Mehta, “Prognostic indices for brain metastases—usefulness and challenges,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 4, article 10, 2009.
- Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology, “Standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use,” European Heart Journal, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 354–381, 1996.
- S. Ahmad, A. Tejuja, K. D. Newman, R. Zarychanski, and A. J. E. Seely, “Clinical review: a review and analysis of heart rate variability and the diagnosis and prognosis of infection,” Critical Care, vol. 13, no. 6, article 232, 2009.
- D. Almoznino-Sarafian, G. Sarafian, I. Zyssman et al., “Application of HRV-CD for estimation of life expectancy in various clinical disorders,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 779–783, 2009.
- R. Pop-Busui, G. W. Evans, H. C. Gerstein et al., “Effects of cardiac autonomic dysfunction on mortality risk in the Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1578–1584, 2010.
- H.-W. Yien, S.-S. Hseu, L.-C. Lee, T. B. J. Kuo, T.-Y. Lee, and S. H. H. Chan, “Spectral analysis of systemic arterial pressure and heart rate signals as a prognostic tool for the prediction of patient outcome in the intensive care unit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 258–266, 1997.
- M. De Couck and Y. Gidron, “Norms of vagal nerve activity, indexed by Heart Rate Variability, in cancer patients,” Cancer Epidemiology, 2013.
- D. H. Kim, J. A. Kim, Y. S. Choi, S. H. Kim, J. Y. Lee, and Y. E. Kim, “Heart rate variability and length of survival in hospice cancer patients,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1140–1145, 2010.
- C. Mouton, A. Ronson, D. Razavi et al., “The relationship between heart rate variability and time-course of carcinoembryonic antigen in colorectal cancer,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 166, no. 1-2, pp. 96–99, 2012.
- J.-K. Chiang, M. Koo, T. B. J. Kuo, and C.-H. Fu, “Association between cardiovascular autonomic functions and time to death in patients with terminal hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 673–679, 2010.
- N. Fadul, F. Strasser, J. L. Palmer et al., “The association between autonomic dysfunction and survival in male patients with advanced cancer: A Preliminary Report,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 2010.
- D. Nunan, G. R. H. Sandercock, and D. A. Brodie, “A quantitative systematic review of normal values for short-term heart rate variability in healthy adults,” PACE - Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1407–1417, 2010.
- S. B. Park, B. C. Lee, and K. S. Jeong, “Standardized tests of heart rate variability for autonomic function tests in healthy Koreans,” International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 1707–1717, 2007.
- A. K. Biswas, W. A. Scott, J. F. Sommerauer, and P. M. Luckett, “Heart rate variability after acute traumatic brain injury in children,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 3907–3912, 2000.
- R. J. Winchell and D. B. Hoyt, “Analysis of heart-rate variability: a noninvasive predictor of death and poor outcome in patients with severe head injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 927–933, 1997.
- S. Akselrod, D. Gordon, and F. A. Ubel, “Power spectrum analysis of heart rate fluctuation: a quantitative probe of beat-to-beat cardiovascular control,” Science, vol. 213, no. 4504, pp. 220–222, 1981.
- T. B. J. Kuo, C. J. Lai, Y.-T. Huang, and C. C. H. Yang, “Regression analysis between heart rate variability and baroreflex-related vagus nerve activity in rats,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 864–869, 2005.
- K. D. Fairchild, V. Srinivasan, J. R. Moorman, R. P. A. Gaykema, and L. E. Goehler, “Pathogen-induced heart rate changes associated with cholinergic nervous system activation,” American Journal of Physiology—Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, vol. 300, no. 2, pp. R330–R339, 2011.
- P. Pavithran, H. Nandeesha, V. Sathiyapriya, Z. Bobby, and T. Madanmohan, “Short-term heart variability and oxidative stress in newly diagnosed essential hypertension,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 486–496, 2008.
- Y. Gidron, H. Perry, and M. Glennie, “Does the vagus nerve inform the brain about preclinical tumours and modulate them?” Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 245–248, 2005.