- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 504136, 12 pages
Risk Prediction Models for Mortality in Community-Acquired Pneumonia: A Systematic Review
1Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
2Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
3School of Medicine & Dentistry, Division of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Demosthenes Bouros
Copyright © 2013 Chun Shing Kwok et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. G. Feagan, T. J. Marrie, C. Y. Lau, S. L. Wheeler, C. J. Wong, and M. K. Vandervoort, “Treatment and outcomes of community-acquired pneumonia at Canadian hospitals,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 162, no. 10, pp. 1415–1420, 2000.
- M. J. Fine, R. A. Stone, D. E. Singer et al., “Processes and outcomes of care for patients with community-acquired pneumonia: results from the Pneumonia Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT) cohort study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 159, no. 9, pp. 970–980, 1999.
- W. S. Lim, S. Lewis, and J. T. Macfarlane, “Severity prediction rules in community acquired pneumonia: a validation study,” Thorax, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 2000.
- D. T. Huang, L. A. Weissfeld, J. A. Kellum et al., “Risk prediction with procalcitonin and clinical rules in community-acquired pneumonia,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 2008.
- A. Capelastegui, P. P. España, J. M. Quintana et al., “Validation of a predictive rule for the management of community-acquired pneumonia,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 151–157, 2006.
- A. Liapikou, M. Ferrer, E. Polverino et al., “Severe community-acquired pneumonia: validation of the Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society guidelines to predict an intensive care unit admission,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 377–385, 2009.
- P. K. Myint, P. Sankaran, P. Musonda et al., “Performance of CURB-65 and CURB-age in community-acquired pneumonia,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1345–1350, 2009.
- A. M. Neill, I. R. Martin, R. Weir et al., “Community acquired pneumonia: aetiology and usefulness of severity criteria on admission,” Thorax, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1010–1016, 1996.
- M. A. Woodhead, J. T. MacFarlane, and J. S. McCracken, “Prospective study of the aetiology and outcome of pneumonia in the community,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8534, pp. 671–674, 1987.
- J. Almirall, I. Bolíbar, J. Vidal et al., “Epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in adults: a population- based study,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 757–763, 2000.
- M. J. Fine, T. E. Auble, D. M. Yealy et al., “A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 336, no. 4, pp. 243–250, 1997.
- Y. K. Loke, C. S. Kwok, A. Niruban, and P. K. Myint, “Value of severity scales in predicting mortality from community-acquired pneumonia: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Thorax, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 884–890, 2010.
- J. D. Chalmers, A. Singanayagam, A. R. Akram et al., “Severity assessment tools for predicting mortality in hospitalised patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Systematic review and meta-analysis,” Thorax, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 878–883, 2010.
- O. Leroy, H. Georges, C. Beuscart et al., “Severe community-acquired pneumonia in ICUs: prospective validation of a prognostic score,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1307–1314, 1996.
- S. Ewig, A. de Roux, T. Bauer et al., “Validation of predictive rules and indices of severity for community acquired pneumonia,” Thorax, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 421–427, 2004.
- P. G. Charles, R. Wolfe, M. Whitby, et al., “SMART-COP: a tool for predicting the need for intensive respiratory or vasopressor support in community-acquired pneumonia,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 375–384, 2008.
- P. P. España, A. Capelastegui, I. Gorordo et al., “Development and validation of a clinical prediction rule for severe community-acquired pneumonia,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 174, no. 11, pp. 1249–1256, 2006.
- K. L. Buising, K. A. Thursky, J. F. Black et al., “Identifying severe community-acquired pneumonia in the emergency department: a simple clinical prediction tool,” Emergency Medicine Australasia, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 418–426, 2007.
- A. Singanayagam, J. D. Chalmers, and A. T. Hill, “Severity assessment in community-acquired pneumonia: a review,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 379–388, 2009.
- J. A. Hayden, P. Côté, and C. Bombardier, “Evaluation of the quality of prognosis studies in systematic reviews,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 427–437, 2006.
- W. S. Lim, M. M. van der Eerden, R. Laing et al., “Defining community acquired pneumonia severity on presentation to hospital: an international derivation and validation study,” Thorax, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 377–382, 2003.
- The British Thoracic Society and the Public Health Laboratory Service, “Community-acquired pneumonia in adults in British Hospitals in 1982-1983: a survey of aetiology, mortality, prognostic factors and outcome,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 62, no. 239, pp. 195–220, 1987.
- B. M. Farr, A. J. Sloman, and M. J. Fisch, “Predicting death in patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 428–436, 1991.
- P. K. Myint, A. V. Kamath, S. L. Vowler, D. N. Maisey, and B. D. W. Harrison, “Severity assessment criteria recommended by the British Thoracic Society (BTS) for Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP) and older patients. Should SOAR (systolic blood pressure, oxygenation, age and respiratory rate) criteria be used in older people? A compilation study of two prospective cohorts,” Age and Ageing, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 286–291, 2006.
- G. J. Escobar, B. H. Fireman, T. E. Palen et al., “Risk adjusting community-acquired pneumonia hospital outcomes using automated databases,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 158–166, 2008.
- Y. Shindo, S. Sato, E. Maruyama et al., “Comparison of severity scoring systems A-DROP and CURB-65 for community-acquired pneumonia,” Respirology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 731–735, 2008.
- P. K. Myint, A. V. Kamath, S. L. Vowler, and B. D. W. Harrison, “Simple modification of CURB-65 better identifies patients including the elderly with severe CAP,” Thorax, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 1015–1016, 2007.
- J. Rello, A. Rodriguez, T. Lisboa, M. Gallego, M. Lujan, and R. Wunderink, “PIRO score for community-acquired pneumonia: a new prediction rule for assessment of severity in intensive care unit patients with community-acquired pneumonia,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 456–462, 2009.
- N. Uchiyama, R. Suda, S. Yamao, et al., “A new severity score for community-acquired pneumonia: PARB score,” Critical Care, vol. 14, supplement 1, p. 253, 2010.
- P. K. Myint, P. Musonda, P. Sankaran et al., “Confusion, urea, respiratory rate and shock index or adjusted shock index (CURSI or CURASI) criteria predict mortality in community-acquired pneumonia,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 429–433, 2010.
- P. K. Myint, A. Bhaniani, S. M. Bradshaw, F. Alobeidi, and S. M. Tariq, “Usefulness of shock index and adjusted shock index in the severity assessment of community-acquired pneumonia,” Respiration, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 468–469, 2009.
- P. Musonda, P. Sankaran, D. N. Subramanian et al., “Prediction of mortality in community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalized patients,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 342, no. 6, pp. 489–493, 2011.
- J. F. Perry, R. Goindi, C. Symington, et al., “Survey of emergency physicians' requirements for clinical decision rule for acute respiratory illness in three countries,” Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 83–89, 2012.
- I. G. Stiell, G. A. Wells, R. H. Hoag et al., “Implementation of the Ottawa Knee Rule for the use of radiography in acute knee injuries,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 278, no. 23, pp. 2075–2079, 1997.
- I. G. Stiell, R. D. McKnight, G. H. Greenberg et al., “Implementation of the Ottawa ankle rules,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 271, no. 11, pp. 827–832, 1994.
- I. Stiell, G. Wells, A. Laupacis et al., “Multicentre trial to introduce the Ottawa ankle rules for use of radiography in acute ankle injuries,” British Medical Journal, vol. 311, no. 7005, pp. 594–597, 1995.
- I. G. Stiell, C. M. Clement, B. H. Rowe et al., “Comparison of the Canadian CT head rule and the New Orleans criteria in patients with minor head injury,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 12, pp. 1511–1518, 2005.
- R. W. W. Lee and S. T. Lindstrom, “A teaching hospital's experience applying the Pneumonia Severity Index and antibiotic guidelines in the management of community-acquired pneumonia,” Respirology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 754–758, 2007.
- D. J. Maxwell, K. A. McIntosh, L. K. Pulver et al., “Empiric management of community-acquired pneumonia in Australian emergency departments,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. 520–524, 2005.
- D. J. Serisier, S. Williams, and S. D. Bowler, “Australasian respiratory and emergency physicians do not use the pneumonia severity index in community-acquired pneumonia,” Respirology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 291–296, 2013.