- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 507103, 11 pages
Novel 4-Arm Poly(Ethylene Glycol)-Block-Poly(Anhydride-Esters) Amphiphilic Copolymer Micelles Loading Curcumin: Preparation, Characterization, and In Vitro Evaluation
1School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
2School of Pharmacy, Hubei University of Science and Technology, Xianning 437100, China
Received 8 April 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Ajit S. Narang
Copyright © 2013 Li Lv et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Kumar, R. S. Langer, and A. J. Domb, “Polyanhydrides: an overview,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 889–910, 2002.
- U. Edlund and A. C. Albertsson, “Polyesters based on diacid monomers,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 585–609, 2003.
- J. P. Jain, S. Modi, A. J. Domb, and N. Kumar, “Role of polyanhydrides as localized drug carriers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 541–563, 2005.
- L. S. Nair and C. T. Laurencin, “Biodegradable polymers as biomaterials,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 32, no. 8-9, pp. 762–798, 2007.
- V. Zabaleta, G. Ponchel, H. Salman, M. Agüeros, C. Vauthier, and J. M. Irache, “Oral administration of paclitaxel with pegylated poly(anhydride) nanoparticles: permeability and pharmacokinetic study,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 514–523, 2012.
- L. Huntimer, J. H. W. Welder, K. Ross et al., “Single immunization with a suboptimal antigen dose encapsulated into polyanhydride microparticles promotes high titer and avid antibody responses,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 2013.
- Y. Liang, L. Xiao, Y. Zhai, C. Xie, L. Deng, and A. Dong, “Preparation and characterization of biodegradable poly(sebacic anhydride) chain extended by glycol as drug carrier,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 3948–3953, 2013.
- A. Göpferich and J. Tessmar, “Polyanhydride degradation and erosion,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 911–931, 2002.
- M. Martina and D. W. Hutmacher, “Biodegradable polymers applied in tissue engineering research: a review,” Polymer International, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 145–157, 2007.
- W. Dang, T. Daviau, P. Ying et al., “Effects of GLIADEL wafer initial molecular weight on the erosion of wafer and release of BCNU,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 1996.
- G. Gaucher, M. H. Dufresne, V. P. Sant, N. Kang, D. Maysinger, and J. Leroux, “Block copolymer micelles: preparation, characterization and application in drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 109, no. 1–3, pp. 169–188, 2005.
- R. F. Storey and A. E. Taylor, “Synthesis of novel biodegradable poly(ester-anhydride)s,” Journal of Macromolecular Science A, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 265–280, 1997.
- B. A. Pfeifer, J. A. Burdick, and R. Langer, “Formulation and surface modification of poly(ester-anhydride) micro- and nanospheres,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 2005.
- R. A. Hakala, H. Korhonen, V. V. Meretoja, and J. V. Seppälä, “Photo-cross-linked biodegradable poly(ester anhydride) networks prepared from alkenylsuccinic anhydride functionalized poly(ε-caprolactone) precursors,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 2806–2814, 2011.
- M. L. Adams, A. Lavasanifar, and G. S. Kwon, “Amphiphilic block copolymers for drug delivery,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 1343–1355, 2003.
- N. Zhang, S. R. Guo, H. Q. Li, L. Liu, Z. H. Li, and J. R. Gu, “Synthesis of three types of amphiphilic poly(ethylene glycol)-block-poly(sebacic anhydride) copolymers and studies of their micellar solutions,” Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, vol. 207, no. 15, pp. 1359–1367, 2006.
- S. Hou, L. K. McCauley, and P. X. Ma, “Synthesis and erosion properties of PEG-containing polyanhydrides,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 620–628, 2007.
- F. Najafi and M. N. Sarbolouki, “Biodegradable micelles/polymersomes from fumaric/sebacic acids and poly(ethylene glycol),” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1175–1182, 2003.
- R. K. Maheshwari, A. K. Singh, J. Gaddipati, and R. C. Srimal, “Multiple biological activities of curcumin: a short review,” Life Sciences, vol. 78, no. 18, pp. 2081–2087, 2006.
- S. M. Oliveira, I. F. Amaral, M. A. Barbosa, and C. C. Teixeira, “Engineering endochondral bone: in vitro studies,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 625–634, 2009.
- L. Song, Y. Shen, J. Hou, L. Lei, S. Guo, and C. Qian, “Polymeric micelles for parenteral delivery of curcumin: preparation, characterization and in vitro evaluation,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 390, no. 1–3, pp. 25–32, 2011.
- S. Singh and B. B. Aggarwal, “Activation of transcription factor NF-κb is suppressed by curcumin (diferuloylmethane),” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 42, pp. 24995–25000, 1995.
- A. B. Kunnumakkara, P. Anand, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Curcumin inhibits proliferation, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis of different cancers through interaction with multiple cell signaling proteins,” Cancer Letters, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 199–225, 2008.
- E. O. Farombi, S. Shrotriya, and Y. J. Surh, “Kolaviron inhibits dimethyl nitrosamine-induced liver injury by suppressing COX-2 and iNOS expression via NF-κB and AP-1,” Life Sciences, vol. 84, no. 5-6, pp. 149–155, 2009.
- K. Mehta, P. Pantazis, T. McQueen, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Antiproliferative effect of curcumin (diferuloylmethane) against human breast tumor cell lines,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 470–481, 1997.
- A. L. Chen, C. H. Hsu, J. K. Lin et al., “Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemopreventive agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions,” Anticancer Research, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 2895–2900, 2001.
- C. D. Lao, M. T. Ruffin IV, D. Normolle et al., “Dose escalation of a curcuminoid formulation,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, article 10, 2006.
- C. L. Zhao, M. A. Winnik, G. Riess, and M. D. Croucher, “Fluorescence probe techniques used to study micelle formation in water-soluble block copolymers,” Langmuir, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 514–516, 1990.
- Y. Wang, C. Wang, C. Gong et al., “Polysorbate 80 coated poly (ε-caprolactone)-poly (ethylene glycol)-poly (ε-caprolactone) micelles for paclitaxel delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 434, no. 1-2, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- K. Y. Lee, I. C. Kwon, Y. H. Kim, W. H. Jo, and S. Y. Jeong, “Preparation of chitosan self-aggregates as a gene delivery system,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 51, no. 2-3, pp. 213–220, 1998.
- H. Xin, X. Jiang, J. Gu et al., “Angiopep-conjugated poly(ethylene glycol)-co-poly(ε-caprolactone) nanoparticles as dual-targeting drug delivery system for brain glioma,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 18, pp. 4293–4305, 2011.
- H. Lou, L. Gao, X. Wei et al., “Oridonin nanosuspension enhances anti-tumor efficacy in SMMC-7721 cells and H22 tumor bearing mice,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 319–325, 2011.