- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 510736, 9 pages
Antibacterial, Antioxidant, and Anticholinesterase Activities of Plant Seed Extracts from Brazilian Semiarid Region
1Departamento de Bioquímica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceará, 60440-970 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
2Netherlands Toxicogenomics Centre, Maastricht University, Universiteitssingel 50, 6229ER Maastricht, The Netherlands
3Departamento de Fisiologia e Farmacologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Ceará, 60430-270 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
4Departamento de Química Orgânica e Inorgânica, Universidade Federal do Ceará, 60440-970 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
5Departamento de Ciências Biológicas, Campus Senador Helvídio Nunes de Barros, Universidade Federal do Piauí, 64600-000 Picos, PI, Brazil
6Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Universidade Federal do Piauí, Avenida Universitária, s/n, 64049-550 Teresina, PI, Brazil
7Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal do Ceará, Campus do Pici, 60451-970 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Received 9 July 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013
Academic Editor: Kazim Husain
Copyright © 2013 Davi Felipe Farias et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Katiyar, A. Gupta, S. Kanjilal, and S. Katiyar, “Drug discovery from plant sources: an integrated approach,” Ayu, vol. 33, pp. 10–19, 2012.
- P. S. Luize, T. S. Tiuman, L. G. Morello et al., “Effects of medicinal plant extracts on growth of Leishmania (L.) amazonensis and Trypanosoma cruzi,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 85–94, 2005.
- A. E. Edris, “Anti-cancer properties of Nigella spp. essential oils and their major constituents, thymoquinone and β-Elemene,” Current Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 2009.
- R. N. Bennett and R. M. Wallsgrove, “Secondary metabolites in plant defence mechanisms,” New Phytologist, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 617–633, 1994.
- R. J. Grayer and J. B. Harborne, “A survey of antifungal compounds from higher plants, 1982-1993,” Phytochemistry, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 19–42, 1994.
- A. E. Osbourn, “Preformed antimicrobial compounds and plant defense against fungal attack,” Plant Cell, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1821–1831, 1996.
- E. V. S. B. Sampaio, “Vegetação e flora da Caatinga,” APNE /CNIP: Recife, 2000.
- C. F. C. B. R. De Almeida, T. C. De Lima E Silva, E. L. C. De Amorim, M. B. D. S. Maia, and U. P. De Albuquerque, “Life strategy and chemical composition as predictors of the selection of medicinal plants from the caatinga (Northeast Brazil),” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 127–142, 2005.
- U. P. de Albuquerque, P. M. de Medeiros, A. L. S. de Almeida et al., “Medicinal plants of the caatinga (semi-arid) vegetation of NE Brazil: a quantitative approach,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 325–354, 2007.
- U. P. de Albuquerque, V. A. da Silva, M. D. C. Cabral, N. Leal Alencar, and L. D. H. C. Andrade, “Comparisons between the use of medicinal plants in indigenous and rural caatinga (dryland) communities in NE Brazil,” Boletin Latinoamericano y del Caribe de Plantas Medicinales y Aromaticas, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 156–170, 2008.
- T. M. Souza, D. F. Farias, B. M. Soares et al., “Toxicity of Brazilian plant seed extracts to two strains of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) and Nontarget Animals,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 846–851, 2011.
- P. M. P. Ferreira, D. F. Farias, M. P. Viana et al., “Study of the antiproliferative potential of seed extracts from Northeastern Brazilian plants,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciencias, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 1045–1058, 2011.
- F. J. A. Matos, M. E. O. Matos, M. P. Sousa, M. I. L. Machado, and A. A. Craveiro, Constituintes Químicos Ativos e Propriedades Biológicas de Plantas Medicinais Brasileiras, UFC, Fortaleza, Brazil, 1st edition, 2004.
- F. J. A. Matos, Plantas Medicinais: Guia de Seleção e Emprego de Plantas Usadas em Fitoterapia no Nordeste do Brasil, IU, Fortaleza, Brazil, 2nd edition, 2000.
- G. N. Maia, Caatinga: Árvores e Arbustos e Suas Utilidades, D & Z Computação Gráfica e Editora, São Paulo, Brazil, 1st edition, 2004.
- M. Chandrasekaran and V. Venkatesalu, “Antibacterial and antifungal activity of Syzygium jambolanum seeds,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 105–108, 2004.
- B. Yepez, M. Espinosa, S. López, and G. Bolaos, “Producing antioxidant fractions from herbaceous matrices by supercritical fluid extraction,” Fluid Phase Equilibria, vol. 194–197, pp. 879–884, 2002.
- E. M. Cardoso-Lopes, J. A. Maier, M. R. Da Silva et al., “Alkaloids from stems of esenbeckia leiocarpa Engl. (Rutaceae) as potential treatment for alzheimer disease,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 9205–9213, 2010.
- G. L. Ellman, K. D. Courtney, V. Andres Jr., and R. M. Featherstone, “A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 88–95, 1961.
- A. W. Bernheimer, “Assay of hemolytic toxins,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 165, pp. 213–217, 1988.
- F. J. A. Matos, Introdução À Fitoquímica Experimental, Editora UFC, Ceará, Brazil, 1st edition, 2009.
- J. Xavier-Filho, “Sementes e suas defesas contra insetos. Projeto Multinacional de Biotecnologia e Alimentos,” Organização dos Estados Americanos (OEA), pp.1–31, 1993.
- T. C. Fleischer, E. P. K. Ameade, M. L. K. Mensah, and I. K. Sawer, “Antimicrobial activity of the leaves and seeds of Bixa orellana,” Fitoterapia, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 136–138, 2003.
- L. Majhenič, M. Škerget, and Ž. Knez, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of guarana seed extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 1258–1268, 2007.
- M. M. Cowan, “Plant products as antimicrobial agents,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 564–582, 1999.
- A. Rafat, K. Philip, and S. Muniandy, “Antioxidant potential and content of phenolic compounds in ethanolic extracts of selected parts of Andrographis paniculata,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 197–202, 2010.
- O. M. Mosquera, Y. M. Correa, D. C. Buitrago, and J. Niño, “Antioxidant activity of twenty five plants from Colombian biodiversity,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 631–634, 2007.
- N. Cotelle, J.-L. Bernier, J.-P. Catteau, J. Pommery, J.-C. Wallet, and E. M. Gaydou, “Antioxidant properties of hydroxy-flavones,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 1996.
- H. Oh, D.-H. Kim, J.-H. Cho, and Y.-C. Kim, “Hepatoprotective and free radical scavenging activities of phenolic petrosins and flavonoids isolated from Equisetum arvense,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 95, no. 2-3, pp. 421–424, 2004.
- S. López, J. Bastida, F. Viladomat, and C. Codina, “Acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity of some Amaryllidaceae alkaloids and Narcissus extracts,” Life Sciences, vol. 71, no. 21, pp. 2521–2529, 2002.
- M. G. Ortega, A. M. Agnese, and J. L. Cabrera, “Anticholinesterase activity in an alkaloid extract of Huperzia saururus,” Phytomedicine, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 539–543, 2004.
- B. J. Hillhouse, D. S. Ming, C. J. French, and G. H. N. Towers, “Acetylcholine esterase inhibitors in Rhodiola rosea,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 2004.
- P. Sawasdee, C. Sabphon, D. Sitthiwongwanit, and U. Kokpol, “Anticholinesterase activity of 7-methoxyflavones isolated from Kaempferia parviflora,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1792–1794, 2009.
- M.-J. R. Howes, N. S. L. Perry, and P. J. Houghton, “Plants with traditional uses and activities, relevant to the management of Alzheimer's disease and other cognitive disorders,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2003.
- H.-F. Ji and H.-Y. Zhang, “Multipotent natural agents to combat Alzheimer's disease. Functional spectrum and structural features,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 2008.
- K. Fernández and E. Agosin, “Quantitative analysis of red wine tannins using Fourier-transform mid-infrared spectrometry,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 18, pp. 7294–7300, 2007.