- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 512495, 8 pages
A Biosurfactant-Sophorolipid Acts in Synergy with Antibiotics to Enhance Their Efficiency
Biochemical Sciences Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Homi Bhabha Road, Pune Maharashtra 411008, India
Received 11 April 2013; Revised 22 July 2013; Accepted 2 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ramkrishna Sen
Copyright © 2013 Kasturi Joshi-Navare and Asmita Prabhune. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Rossolini and M. Thaller, “Coping with antibiotic resistance: contributions from genomics,” Genome Medicine, vol. 2, article 15, 2010.
- S. B. Levy and B. Marshall, “Antibacterial resistance worldwide: causes, challenges and responses,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. S122–S129, 2004.
- O. Aiyegoro, A. Adewusi, S. Oyedemi, et al., “Interactions of antibiotics and methanolic crude extracts of Afzelia Africana (Smith.) against drug resistance bacterial isolates,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 4477–4487, 2011.
- A. J. Alanis, “Resistance to antibiotics: are we in the post-antibiotic era?” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 697–705, 2005.
- A. M. Allahverdiyev, K. V. Kon, E. S. Abamor, M. Bagirova, and M. Rafailovich, “Coping with antibiotic resistance: combining nanoparticles with antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1035–1052, 2011.
- J. Torella, R. Chait, and R. Kishony, “Optimal drug synergy in antimicrobial treatments,” PLOS Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e1000796, 2010.
- G. Adwan and M. Mhanna, “Synergistic effects of plant extract and antibiotics on Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from clinical specimens,” Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 3, pp. 134–139, 2008.
- E. Gharaei-Fathabad, “Biosurfactants in pharmaceutical industry (a mini-review),” American Journal of Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 58–69, 2011.
- P. Singh and S. S. Cameotra, “Potential applications of microbial surfactants in biomedical sciences,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 142–146, 2004.
- K. S. Bisht, R. A. Gross, and D. L. Kaplan, “Enzyme-mediated regioselective acylations of sophorolipids,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 780–789, 1999.
- I. N. A. van Bogaert, K. Saerens, C. D. Muynck, D. Develter, W. Soetaert, and E. J. Vandamme, “Microbial production and application of sophorolipids,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2007.
- A. Azim, V. Shah, G. F. Doncel, N. Peterson, W. Gao, and R. Gross, “Amino acid conjugated sophorolipids: a new family of biologically active functionalized glycolipids,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1523–1529, 2006.
- I. N. A. van Bogaert, J. Zhang, and W. Soetaert, “Microbial synthesis of sophorolipids,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 821–833, 2011.
- X. Sun, Y. Lee, J. Choi, and E. Kim, “Synergistic effect of sophorolipid and loess combination in harmful algal blooms mitigation,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 48, no. 9-10, pp. 863–872, 2004.
- Y. Inoh, D. Kitamoto, N. Hirashima, and M. Nakanishi, “Biosurfactants of MEL-A increase gene transfection mediated by cationic liposomes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 57–61, 2001.
- S. Loew, A. Fahr, and S. May, “Modeling the release kinetics of poorly water-soluble drug molecules from liposomal nanocarriers,” Journal of Drug Delivery, vol. 2011, Article ID 376548, 10 pages, 2011.
- P. Dubey, K. Sevaraj, and A. Prabhune, “Sophorolipids: in self assembly and nanomaterial synthesis,” World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1107–1133, 2013.
- J. N. Sleiman, S. A. Kohlhoff, P. M. Roblin et al., “Sophorolipids as antibacterial agents,” Annals of Clinical & Laboratory Science, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 60–63, 2009.
- K. Joshi-Navare, A. Shiras, and A. Prabhune, “Differentiation-inducing ability of sophorolipids of oleic and linoleic acids using a glioma cell line,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 509–512, 2011.
- K. E. Vivekanandan, K. Gokul Raj, S. Kumaresan, and M. Pandi, “Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticle activity against bacterial strain, cephalexin antibiotic synergistic activity,” International Journal of Current Science, vol. 4, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- I. Chopra and M. Roberts, “Tetracycline antibiotics: mode of action, applications, molecular biology, and epidemiology of bacterial resistance,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 232–260, 2001.
- A. Rai, A. Prabhune, and C. C. Perry, “Antibiotic mediated synthesis of gold nanoparticles with potent antimicrobial activity and their application in antimicrobial coatings,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 32, pp. 6789–6798, 2010.
- R. Gupta, S. Uma, and A. Prabhune, “Antibacterial properties of linolenic sophorolipid and its chemically esterified methyl ester form,” Research Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 40–45, 2012.
- Y. Hu and L. Ju, “Sophorolipid production from different lipid precursors observed with LC-MS,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 593–601, 2001.
- R. Merchant and I. M. Banat, “Biosurfactants: a sustainable replacement for chemical surfactants?” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1597–1605, 2012.
- V. Dengle-Pulate, S. Bhagwat, and A. Prabhune, “Microbial oxidation of medium chain fatty alcohol in the synthesis of sophorolipids by candida bombicola and its physicochemical characterization,” Journal of Surfactants and Detergents, vol. 18, pp. 173–181, 2013.
- V. Shah, D. Badia, and P. Ratsep, “Sophorolipids having enhanced antibacterial activity,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 397–400, 2007.
- Y. Hirata, M. Ryu, K. Igarashi et al., “Natural synergism of acid and lactone type mixed sophorolipids in interfacial activities and cytotoxicities,” Journal of Oleo Science, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 565–572, 2009.
- L. Englander and A. Friedman, “Nitric oxide nanoparticle technology,” Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 45–50, 2010.
- J. B. Kaper, J. P. Nataro, and H. L. T. Mobley, “Pathogenic Escherichia coli,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 123–140, 2004.
- M. Ceccarelli, A. V. Vargiu, and P. Ruggerone, “A kinetic Monte Carlo approach to investigate antibiotic translocation through bacterial porins,” Journal of Physics, vol. 24, no. 10, Article ID 104012, 2012.
- L. Gutmann, R. Williamson, and E. Collatz, “The possible role of porins in bacterial antibiotic resistance,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 554–557, 1984.
- J. Pagès, C. E. James, and M. Winterhalter, “The porin and the permeating antibiotic: a selective diffusion barrier in Gram-negative bacteria,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 893–903, 2008.