- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 514395, 7 pages
Characterization of Legionella pneumophila Isolated from Environmental Water and Ashiyu Foot Spa
1The United Graduate School of Veterinary Science, Yamaguchi University, 1677-1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753-8515, Japan
2Laboratory of Veterinary Public Health, Joint Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Yamaguchi University, 1677-1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753-8515, Japan
Received 27 May 2013; Accepted 25 June 2013
Academic Editor: Hiroshi Asakura
Copyright © 2013 Masato Tachibana et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. C. Winn Jr., “Legionnaires disease: historical perspective,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 60–81, 1988.
- K. H. Berger and R. R. Isberg, “Two distinct defects in intracellular growth complemented by a single genetic locus in Legionella pneumophila,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 7–19, 1993.
- N. P. Cianciotto, “Pathogenicity of Legionella pneumophila,” International Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 291, no. 5, pp. 331–343, 2001.
- S. DebRoy, V. Aragon, S. Kurtz, and N. P. Cianciotto, “Legionella pneumophila Mip, a surface-exposed peptidylproline cis-trans-isomerase, promotes the presence of phospholipase C-like activity in culture supernatants,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 5152–5160, 2006.
- R. R. Isberg, S. Rankin, C. R. Roy, M. S. Swanson, and K. H. Berger, “Legionella pneumophila: factors involved in the route and response to an intracellular niche,” Infectious Agents and Disease, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 220–223, 1993.
- A. Marra, S. J. Blander, M. A. Horwitz, and H. A. Shuman, “Identification of a Legionella pneumophila locus required for intracellular multiplication in human macrophages,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 20, pp. 9607–9611, 1992.
- M. A. Söderberg, O. Rossier, and N. P. Cianciotto, “The type II protein secretion system of Legionella pneumophila promotes growth at low temperatures,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 186, no. 12, pp. 3712–3720, 2004.
- B. M. W. Diederen, “Legionella spp. and Legionnaires' disease,” Journal of Infection, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2008.
- T. Kuroki, T. Ishihara, K. Ito, and F. Kura, “Bathwater-associated cases of legionellosis in Japan, with a special focus on Legionella concentrations in water,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 201–205, 2009.
- H. Nakamura, H. Yagyu, K. Kishi et al., “A large outbreak of Legionnaires' disease due to an inadequate circulating and filtration system for bath water— epidemiologic manifestations,” Internal Medicine, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 806–811, 2003.
- M. Okada, K. Kawano, F. Kura et al., “The largest outbreak of legionellosis in Japan associated with spa baths: epidemic curve and environmental investigation,” The Journal of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 365–374, 2005.
- P. Dennis, “Isolation of Legionella from environmental specimens,” in A Laboratory Manual for Legionella, T. G. Harrison and A. G. Taylor, Eds., pp. 31–44, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 1988.
- M. Maiwald, J. H. Helbig, and P. C. Lück, “Laboratory methods for the diagnosis of Legionella infections,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 59–79, 1998.
- R. M. Ratcliff, M. A. Slavin, N. Sangster, R. M. Doyle, J. F. Seymour, and J. A. Lanser, “Legionella pneumophila mip gene sequencing to investigate a cluster of pneumonia cases,” Pathology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 2003.
- B. Huang, Z. Yuan, B. A. Heron et al., “Distribution of 19 major virulence genes in Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1 isolates from patients and water in Queensland, Australia,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 993–997, 2006.
- B. Jaulhac, M. Nowicki, N. Bornstein et al., “Detection of Legionella spp. in bronchoalveolar lavage fluids by DNA amplification,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 920–924, 1992.
- S. Sturgill-Koszycki and M. S. Swanson, “Legionella pneumophila replication vacuoles mature into acidic, endocytic organelles,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 192, no. 9, pp. 1261–1272, 2000.
- G. Segal, J. J. Russo, and H. A. Shuman, “Relationships between a new type IV secretion system and the icm/dot virulence system of Legionella pneumophila,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 799–809, 1999.
- S. L. G. Cirillo, L. E. Bermudez, S. H. El-Etr, G. E. Duhamel, and J. D. Cirillo, “Legionella pneumophila entry gene rtxA is involved in virulence,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 508–517, 2001.
- R. C. Fernandez, S. M. Logan, S. H. S. Lee, and P. S. Hoffman, “Elevated levels of Legionella pneumophila stress protein Hsp60 early in infection of human monocytes and L929 cells correlate with virulence,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1968–1976, 1996.
- R. A. Garduño, E. Garduño, and P. S. Hoffman, “Surface-associated Hsp60 chaperonin of Legionella pneumophila mediates invasion in a HeLa cell model,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 4602–4610, 1998.
- K. Furuhata, M. Hara, S.-I. Yoshida, and M. Fukuyama, “Distribution of Legionella spp. in hot spring baths in Japan,” The Journal of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 710–716, 2004.
- T. Karasudani, T. Kuroki, K. Otani et al., “Legionella contamination risk factors in non-circulating hot spring water,” The Journal of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2009.