- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 515712, 10 pages
Genotypically Different Clones of Staphylococcus aureus Are Diverse in the Antimicrobial Susceptibility Patterns and Biofilm Formations
1Laboratory of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Medical Microbiology, Basrah University, Basrah, Iraq
3Laboratory of Marine Science and Aquaculture, Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
4Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
5Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Al Bukacyriyah, Saudi Arabia
6Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 4 October 2013
Academic Editor: Javeed Iqbal
Copyright © 2013 Salman Sahab Atshan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. E. Cosgrove, G. Sakoulas, E. N. Perencevich, M. J. Schwaber, A. W. Karchmer, and Y. Carmeli, “Comparison of mortality associated with methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a meta-analysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2003.
- Y. S. Seo, D. Y. Lee, N. Rayamahji, M. L. Kang, and H. S. Yoo, “Biofilm-forming associated genotypic and phenotypic characteristics of Staphylococcus spp. isolated from animals and air,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 433–438, 2008.
- T. S. Naimi, K. H. LeDell, K. Como-Sabetti et al., “Comparison of community- and health care—associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 22, pp. 2976–2984, 2003.
- I. A. Binswanger, A. H. Kral, R. N. Bluthenthal, D. J. Rybold, and B. R. Edlin, “High prevalence of abscesses and cellulitis among community-recruited injection drug users in San Francisco,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 579–581, 2000.
- L. G. Miller and B. A. Diep, “Colonization, fomites, and virulence: rethinking the pathogenesis of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 752–760, 2008.
- E. Ghaznavi-Rad, M. N. Shamsudin, Z. Sekawi et al., “Predominance and emergence of clones of hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Malaysia,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 867–872, 2010.
- H. Ghasemzadeh-Moghaddama, E. Ghaznavi-Rada, Z. Sekawia et al., “Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus from clinical and community sources are genetically diverse,” International Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 301, no. 4, pp. 347–353, 2011.
- I. M. Gould, “Clinical relevance of increasing glycopeptide MICs against Staphylococcus aureus,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- V. Lorian, Antibiotics in Laboratory Medicine, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2005.
- J. M. Andrews, “Determination of minimum inhibitory concentrations,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 2001.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing, Approved Standard M100-S16, National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2006.
- R. Saginur, M. St. Denis, W. Ferris et al., “Multiple combination bactericidal testing of staphylococcal biofilms from implant-associated infections,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2006.
- S. S. Atshan, M. N. Shamsudin, L. T. T. Lung, Z. Sekawi, E. Ghaznavi-Rad, and C. Pei Pei, “Comparative characterisation of genotypically different clones of MRSA in the production of biofilms,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 417247, 7 pages, 2012.
- S. M. Moskowitz, J. M. Foster, J. Emerson, and J. L. Burns, “Clinically feasible biofilm susceptibility assay for isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa from patients with cystic fibrosis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1915–1922, 2004.
- D. J. Diekema, M. A. Pfaller, F. J. Schmitz et al., “Survey of infections due to Staphylococcus species: frequency of occurrence and antimicrobial susceptibility of isolates collected in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, and the Western Pacific region for the SENTRY antimicrobial surveillance program, 1997–1999,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. S114–S132, 2001.
- M. E. Jones, J. A. Karlowsky, D. C. Draghi, C. Thornsberry, D. F. Sahm, and D. Nathwani, “Epidemiology and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria causing skin and soft tissue infections in the USA and Europe: a guide to appropriate antimicrobial therapy,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 406–419, 2003.
- V. K. E. Lim, “Staphylococcal infection in Malaysian hospitals,” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 11, pp. S103–S108, 1988.
- M. Y. Rohani, A. Raudzah, M. G. Lau et al., “Susceptibility pattern of Staphylococcus aureus isolated in Malaysian hospitals,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 209–213, 2000.
- D. A. Robinson and M. C. Enright, “Evolutionary models of the emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 3926–3934, 2003.
- E. Ghaznavi-Rad, V. Neela, M. Nor Shamsudin et al., “Diversity in the antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 3317–3321, 2012.
- L. Y. Hsu, T. H. Koh, K. Singh, M. L. Kang, A. Kurup, and B. H. Tan, “Dissemination of multisusceptible methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Singapore,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 2923–2925, 2005.
- C. Schlichting, C. Branger, J. M. Fournier et al., “Typing of Staphylococcus aureus by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, zymotyping, capsular typing, and phage typing: resolution of clonal relationships,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 227–232, 1993.
- S. J. Campbell, H. S. Deshmukh, C. L. Nelson et al., “Genotypic characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from a multinational trial of complicated skin and skin structure infections,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 678–684, 2008.
- B. A. Diep, S. R. Gill, R. F. Chang et al., “Complete genome sequence of USA300, an epidemic clone of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9512, pp. 731–739, 2006.
- A. C. Fluit, A. Florijn, J. Verhoef, and D. Milatovic, “Presence of tetracycline resistance determinants and susceptibility to tigecycline and minocycline,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1636–1638, 2005.
- A. W. Karchmer, “Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin: the sequel,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 739–741, 1991.
- G. Sakoulas, P. A. Moise-Broder, J. Schentag, A. Forrest, R. C. Moellering Jr., and G. M. Eliopoulos, “Relationship of MIC and bactericidal activity to efficacy of vancomycin for treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2398–2402, 2004.
- J. D. Perry, A. L. Jones, and F. K. Gould, “Glycopeptide tolerance in bacteria causing endocarditis,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 121–124, 1999.
- J. B. Patel, L. A. Jevitt, J. Hageman, L. C. McDonald, and F. C. Tenover, “An association between reduced susceptibility to daptomycin and reduced susceptibility to vancomycin in Staphylococcus aureus,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1652–1653, 2006.
- G. A. Pankey and L. D. Sabath, “Clinical relevance of bacteriostatic versus bactericidal mechanisms of action in the treatment of gram-positive bacterial infections,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 864–870, 2004.
- V. G. Fowler Jr., H. W. Boucher, G. R. Corey et al., “Daptomycin versus standard therapy for bacteremia and endocarditis caused by Staphylococcus aureus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 7, pp. 653–665, 2006.
- E. Paintsil, “Pediatric community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection and colonization: trends and management,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2007.
- A. S. Kwon, G. C. Park, S. Y. Ryu et al., “Higher biofilm formation in multidrug-resistant clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 2008.
- A. L. S. Antunes, D. S. Trentin, J. W. Bonfanti et al., “Application of a feasible method for determination of biofilm antimicrobial susceptibility in staphylococci,” Acta Pathologica, et Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 873–877, 2010.