- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 519184, 7 pages
Direct Evaluation of L-DOPA Actions on Neuronal Activity of Parkinsonian Tissue In Vitro
División de Neurociencias, Instituto de Fisiología Celular, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), 04510 México City, DF, Mexico
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Olivier Darbin
Copyright © 2013 Víctor Plata et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Herrera-Marschitz, G. Arbuthnott, and U. Ungerstedt, “The rotational model and microdialysis: significance for dopamine signalling, clinical studies, and beyond,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 176–189, 2010.
- N. B. Mercuri and G. Bernardi, “The ‘magic’ of L-dopa: why is it the gold standard Parkinson's disease therapy?” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 341–344, 2005.
- O. Jáidar, L. Carrillo-Reid, A. Hernández, R. Drucker-Colín, J. Bargas, and A. Hernández-Cruz, “Dynamics of the Parkinsonian striatal microcircuit: entrainment into a dominant network state,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 30, no. 34, pp. 11326–11336, 2010.
- C. Oye, R. Bouchard, R. Boucher, and L. J. Poirier, “Spontaneous activity of the putamen after chronic interruption of the dopaminergic pathway: effect of L-dopa,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 700–708, 1970.
- E. Galarraga, J. Bargas, D. Martinez-Fong, and J. Aceves, “Spontaneous synaptic potentials in dopamine-denervated neostriatal neurons,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 351–355, 1987.
- P. Calabresi, N. B. Mercuri, G. Sancesario, and G. Bernardi, “Electrophysiology of dopamine-denervated striatal neurons. Implications for Parkinson's disease,” Brain, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 433–452, 1993.
- K.-C. Tang, M. J. Low, D. K. Grandy, and D. M. Lovinger, “Dopamine-dependent synaptic plasticity in striatum during in vivo development,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 1255–1260, 2001.
- M.-T. Chen, M. Morales, D. J. Woodward, B. J. Hoffer, and P. H. Janak, “In vivo extracellular recording of striatal neurons in the awake rat following unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine lesions,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 72–83, 2001.
- K. Y. Tseng, F. Kasanetz, L. Kargieman, L. A. Riquelme, and M. G. Murer, “Cortical slow oscillatory activity is reflected in the membrane potential and spike trains of striatal neurons in rats with chronic nigrostriatal lesions,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 16, pp. 6430–6439, 2001.
- L. Liang, M. R. DeLong, and S. M. Papa, “Inversion of dopamine responses in striatal medium spiny neurons and involuntary movements,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 30, pp. 7537–7547, 2008.
- A. Raz, A. Feingold, V. Zelanskaya, E. Vaadia, and H. Bergman, “Neuronal synchronization of tonically active neurons in the striatum of normal and parkinsonian primates,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 2083–2088, 1996.
- J. R. Walters and D. A. Bergstrom, “Basal ganglia network synchronization in animal models of Parkinson's disease,” in Cortico-Subcortical Dynamics in Parkinson Disease, pp. 117–142, Contemporary Neuroscience, 2009.
- N. Lemaire, L. F. Hernandez, D. Hu, Y. Kubota, M. W. Howe, and A. M. Graybiel, “Effects of dopamine depletion on LFP oscillations in striatum are task- and learning-dependent and selectively reversed by L-DOPA,” PNAS, vol. 109, no. 44, pp. 18126–18131, 2012.
- B. Ballion, F. Frenois, C. L. Zold, J. Chetrit, M. G. Murer, and F. Gonon, “D2 receptor stimulation, but not D1, restores striatal equilibrium in a rat model of Parkinsonism,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 376–384, 2009.
- S. Taverna, E. Ilijic, and D. J. Surmeier, “Recurrent collateral connections of striatal medium spiny neurons are disrupted in models of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 21, pp. 5504–5512, 2008.
- V. G. López-Huerta, L. Carrillo-Reid, E. Galarraga et al., “The balance of striatal feedback transmission is disrupted in a model of parkinsonism,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 4964–4975, 2013.
- T. Perez-Rosello, A. Figueroa, H. Salgado et al., “Cholinergic control of firing pattern and neurotransmission in rat neostriatal projection neurons: role of CaV2.1 and CaV2.2 Ca2+ channels,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 2507–2519, 2005.
- X.-T. Hu and R. Y. Wang, “Comparison of effects of D-1 and D-2 dopamine receptor agonists on neurons in the rat caudate putamen: an electrophysiological study,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 4340–4348, 1988.
- B. Picconi, D. Centonze, K. Håkansson et al., “Loss of bidirectional striatal synaptic plasticity in L-DOPA-induced dyskinesia,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 501–506, 2003.
- L. Carrillo-Reid, S. Hernández-López, D. Tapia, E. Galarraga, and J. Bargas, “Dopaminergic modulation of the striatal microcircuit: receptor-specific configuration of cell assemblies,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 31, no. 42, pp. 14972–14983, 2011.
- L. Li and F. M. Zhou, “Parallel dopamine D1 receptor activity dependence of L-dopa-induced normal movement and dyskinesia in mice,” Neuroscience, vol. 236, pp. 66–76, 2013.
- L. Carrillo-Reid, F. Tecuapetla, D. Tapia et al., “Encoding network states by striatal cell assemblies,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 1435–1450, 2008.
- L. Carrillo-Reid, F. Tecuapetla, O. Ibáñez-Sandoval, A. Hernández-Cruz, E. Galarraga, and J. Bargas, “Activation of the cholinergic system endows compositional properties to striatal cell assemblies,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 737–749, 2009.
- V. G. López-Huerta, E. Blanco-Hernández, J. Bargas, and E. Galarraga, “Presynaptic modulation by somatostatin in the rat neostriatum is altered in a model of Parkinsonism,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 1032–1043, 2012.
- J. D. J. Aceves, P. E. Rueda-Orozco, R. Hernández et al., “Dopaminergic presynaptic modulation of nigral afferents: Its role in the generation of recurrent bursting in substantia nigra pars reticulata neurons,” Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, no. 4, article 6, 2011.