- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 520294, 9 pages
Diagnosis Value of the Serum Amyloid A Test in Neonatal Sepsis: A Meta-Analysis
1Center for Systems Biology, Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, China
2Affiliated Children's Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 225121, China
3Suzhou Zhengxing Translational Biomedical Informatics Ltd., Taicang 215400, China
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 4 July 2013
Academic Editor: Zhongming Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Haining Yuan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. A. Qazi and B. J. Stoll, “Neonatal sepsis: a major global public health challenge,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 28, no. 1, supplement, pp. S1–S2, 2009.
- Y.-J. Shin, M. Ki, and B. Foxman, “Epidemiology of neonatal sepsis in South Korea,” Pediatrics International, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 225–232, 2009.
- S. Vergnano, M. Sharland, P. Kazembe, C. Mwansambo, and P. T. Heath, “Neonatal sepsis: an international perspective,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. F220–F224, 2005.
- E. Persson, B. Trollfors, L. L. Brandberg, and I. Tessin, “Septicaemia and meningitis in neonates and during early infancy in the Göteborg area of Sweden,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 1087–1092, 2002.
- V. Sundaram, P. Kumar, S. Dutta et al., “Blood culture confirmed bacterial sepsis in neonates in a north Indian tertiary care center: changes over the last decade,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 46–50, 2009.
- P. C. Ng, “Clinical trials for evaluating diagnostic markers of infection in neonates,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 111–112, 2005.
- M. W. Weber, J. B. Carlin, S. Gatchalian, et al., “Predictors of neonatal sepsis in developing countries,” The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 711–717, 2003.
- N. Tripathi, C. M. Cotten, and P. B. Smith, “Antibiotic use and misuse in the neonatal intensive care unit,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2012.
- I. M. Stefanovic, “Neonatal sepsis,” Biochemia Medica (Zagreb), vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 276–281, 2011.
- U. K. Mishra, S. E. Jacobs, L. W. Doyle, and S. M. Garland, “Newer approaches to the diagnosis of early onset neonatal sepsis,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. F208–F212, 2006.
- P. C. Ng and H. S. Lam, “Diagnostic markers for neonatal sepsis,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 125–131, 2006.
- C. Pierrakos and J.-L. Vincent, “Sepsis biomarkers: a review,” Critical Care, vol. 14, no. 1, article R15, 2010.
- E. Bilavsky, H. Yarden-Bilavsky, S. Ashkenazi, and J. Amir, “C-reactive protein as a marker of serious bacterial infections in hospitalized febrile infants,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1776–1780, 2009.
- A. Kordek, M. Hałasa, and W. Podraza, “Early detection of an early onset infection in the neonate based on measurements of procalcitonin and C-reactive protein concentrations in cord blood,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1143–1148, 2008.
- J. P. S. Caldas, S. T. M. Marba, M. H. S. L. Blotta, R. Calil, S. S. Morais, and R. T. D. Oliveira, “Accuracy of white blood cell count, C-reactive protein, interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha for diagnosing late neonatal sepsis,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 536–542, 2008.
- Z. Yu, J. Liu, Q. Sun, Y. Qiu, S. Han, and X. Guo, “The accuracy of the procalcitonin test for the diagnosis of neonatal sepsis: a meta-analysis,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 723–733, 2010.
- B. S. Naher, M. A. Mannan, K. Noor, and M. Shahiddullah, “Role of serum procalcitonin and C-reactive protein in the diagnosis of neonatal sepsis,” Bangladesh Medical Research Council Bulletin, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 40–46, 2011.
- S. Urieli-Shoval, R. P. Linke, and Y. Matzner, “Expression and function of serum amyloid A, a major acute-phase protein, in normal and disease states,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 64–69, 2000.
- D. B. Jovanovic, “Clinical importance of determination of serum amyloid A,” Srpski Arhiv Za Celokupno Lekarstvo, vol. 132, no. 7-8, pp. 267–271, 2004.
- S. Arnon, I. Litmanovitz, R. Regev, M. Lis, R. Shainkin-Kestenbaum, and T. Dolfin, “The prognostic virtue of inflammatory markers during late-onset sepsis in preterm infants,” Journal of Perinatal Medicine, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 176–180, 2004.
- S. Arnon, I. Litmanovitz, R. H. Regev, S. Bauer, R. Shainkin-Kestenbaum, and T. Dolfin, “Serum amyloid A: an early and accurate marker of neonatal early-onset sepsis,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 297–302, 2007.
- S. Arnon, I. Litmanovitz, R. Regev et al., “Serum amyloid A protein is a useful inflammatory marker during late-onset sepsis in preterm infants,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2005.
- B. Yildiz, B. Ucar, M. A. Aksit et al., “Serum amyloid A, procalcitonin, tumor necrosis factor-α, and interleukin-1β levels in neonatal late-onset sepsis,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2008, Article ID 737141, 7 pages, 2008.
- J. D. M. Edgar, V. Gabriel, J. R. Gallimore, S. A. McMillan, and J. Grant, “A prospective study of the sensitivity, specificity and diagnostic performance of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule 1, highly sensitive C-reactive protein, soluble E-selectin and serum amyloid A in the diagnosis of neonatal infection,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 10, article 22, 2010.
- P. Whiting, A. W. S. Rutjes, J. B. Reitsma, P. M. M. Bossuyt, and J. Kleijnen, “The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 3, article 1, 2003.
- A. S. Glas, J. G. Lijmer, M. H. Prins, G. J. Bonsel, and P. M. M. Bossuyt, “The diagnostic odds ratio: a single indicator of test performance,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1129–1135, 2003.
- J. P. T. Higgins, S. G. Thompson, J. J. Deeks, and D. G. Altman, “Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7414, pp. 557–560, 2003.
- S. D. Walter, “Properties of the summary receiver operating characteristic (SROC) curve for diagnostic test data,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1237–1256, 2002.
- M. Çetinkaya, H. Özkan, N. Köksal, S. Çelebi, and M. Hacimustafaoǧlu, “Comparison of serum amyloid A concentrations with those of C-reactive protein and procalcitonin in diagnosis and follow-up of neonatal sepsis in premature infants,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 225–231, 2009.
- L. M. Mohsen, et al., “Study on diagnostic value of serum amyloid A protein during late- onset sepsis in preterm and full term neonates,” Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 530–536, 2012.
- A. Enguix, C. Rey, A. Concha, A. Medina, D. Coto, and M. A. Diéguez, “Comparison of procalcitonin with C-reactive protein and serum amyloid for the early diagnosis of bacterial sepsis in critically ill neonates and children,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 211–215, 2001.
- J. J. Deeks, P. Macaskill, and L. Irwig, “The performance of tests of publication bias and other sample size effects in systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracy was assessed,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 882–893, 2005.
- J. S. Gerdes, “Diagnosis and management of bacterial infections in the neonate,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 939–959, 2004.
- S. Arnon and I. Litmanovitz, “Diagnostic tests in neonatal sepsis,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 223–227, 2008.
- Y. Fan and J. L. Yu, “Umbilical blood biomarkers for predicting early-onset neonatal sepsis,” World Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2012.
- J. C. Marshall and K. Reinhart, “Biomarkers of sepsis,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 2290–2298, 2009.
- M. M. Levy, M. P. Fink, J. C. Marshall et al., “2001 SCCM/ESICM/ACCP/ATS/SIS International Sepsis Definitions Conference,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 530–538, 2003.
- B. Janković, D. Veljković, S. Pasić, Z. Rakonjac, D. Jevtić, and J. Martić, “C-reactive protein and cytokines in the diagnosis of neonatal sepsis,” Medicinski pregled, vol. 59, no. 11-12, pp. 545–549, 2006.
- T. Chan and F. Gu, “Early diagnosis of sepsis using serum biomarkers,” Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 487–496, 2011.
- A. Lannergård, A. Larsson, P. Kragsbjerg, and G. Friman, “Correlations between serum amyloid A protein and C-reactive protein in infectious diseases,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 267–272, 2003.
- C. Pizzini, M. Mussap, M. Plebani, and V. Fanos, “C-reactive protein and serum amyloid A protein in neonatal infections,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2000.
- M. Mussap, A. Noto, F. Cibecchini, and V. Fanos, “The importance of biomarkers in neonatology,” Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2013.
- P. C. Ng, I. L. Ang, R. W. K. Chiu et al., “Host-response biomarkers for diagnosis of late-onset septicemia and necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 120, no. 8, pp. 2989–3000, 2010.
- S. Arnon, I. Litmanovitz, R. Regev, M. Lis, R. Shainkin-Kestenbaum, and T. Dolfin, “Serum amyloid A protein in the early detection of late-onset bacterial sepsis in preterm infants,” Journal of Perinatal Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 329–332, 2002.
- M. S. Mostafa, et al., “Serum amyloid A an early diagnostic marker for neonatal sepsis,” Life Science Journal, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 271–277, 2011.
- S. Lewis and M. Clarke, “Forest plots: trying to see the wood and the trees,” British Medical Journal, vol. 322, no. 7300, pp. 1479–1480, 2001.