- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 526367, 13 pages
Kidney-Targeted Transplantation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells by Ultrasound-Targeted Microbubble Destruction Promotes Kidney Repair in Diabetic Nephropathy Rats
1Department of Ultrasound, Xinqiao Hospital of the Third Military Medical University, 183 Xinqiaozheng Road, Chongqing 400037, China
2Department of Ultrasound, The Forty-Fourth Military Hospital, 67 Huanghe Road, Guiyang 550009, China
3Department of Orthopaedics, The Affiliated Hospital of Guiyang Medical College, 28 Guiyi Street, Guiyang 550004, China
4Center for Tissue Engineering and Stem Cells, Guiyang Medical College, 9 Beijing Road, Guiyang 550004, China
Received 3 March 2013; Revised 19 April 2013; Accepted 19 April 2013
Academic Editor: Ken-ichi Isobe
Copyright © 2013 Yi Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Chamberlain, J. Fox, B. Ashton, and J. Middleton, “Concise review: mesenchymal stem cells: their phenotype, differentiation capacity, immunological features, and potential for homing,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2739–2749, 2007.
- R. H. Lee, M. J. Seo, R. L. Reger et al., “Multipotent stromal cells from human marrow home to and promote repair of pancreatic islets and renal glomeruli in diabetic NOD/scid mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 46, pp. 17438–17443, 2006.
- Z. Yang, K. Li, X. Yan, F. Dong, and C. Zhao, “Amelioration of diabetic retinopathy by engrafted human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 248, no. 10, pp. 1415–1422, 2010.
- N. Zhang, J. Li, R. Luo, J. Jiang, and J. A. Wang, “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells induce angiogenesis and attenuate the remodeling of diabetic cardiomyopathy,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 104–111, 2008.
- R. J. Price, D. M. Skyba, S. Kaul, and T. C. Skalak, “Delivery of colloidal particles and red blood cells to tissue through microvessel ruptures created by targeted microbubble destruction with ultrasound,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 13, pp. 1264–1267, 1998.
- S. G. Zhong, S. Y. Shu, Z. G. Wang et al., “Enhanced homing of mesenchymal stem cells to the ischemic myocardium by ultrasound-targeted microbubble destruction,” Ultrasonics, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 281–286, 2012.
- S. Chen, J. H. Ding, R. Bekeredjian et al., “Efficient gene delivery to pancreatic islets with ultrasonic microbubble destruction technology,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 22, pp. 8469–8474, 2006.
- Y. L. Xu, Y. H. Gao, Z. Liu et al., “Myocardium-targeted transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells by diagnostic ultrasound-mediated microbubble destruction improves cardiac function in myocardial infarction of New Zealand rabbits,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 182–195, 2010.
- D. L. Miller, M. A. Averkiou, A. A. Brayman et al., “Bioeffects considerations for diagnostic ultrasound contrast agents,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 611–632, 2008.
- E. F. Akowuah, C. Gray, A. Lawrie et al., “Ultrasound-mediated delivery of TIMP-3 plasmid DNA into saphenous vein leads to increased lumen size in a porcine interposition graft model,” Gene Therapy, vol. 12, no. 14, pp. 1154–1157, 2005.
- J. Song, P. S. Cottler, A. L. Klibanov, S. Kaul, and R. J. Price, “Microvascular remodeling and accelerated hyperemia blood flow restoration in arterially occluded skeletal muscle exposed to ultrasonic microbubble destruction,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 6, pp. H2754–H2761, 2004.
- G. Korpanty, S. Chen, R. V. Shohet et al., “Targeting of VEGF-mediated angiogenesis to rat myocardium using ultrasonic destruction of microbubbles,” Gene Therapy, vol. 12, no. 17, pp. 1305–1312, 2005.
- S. Xenariou, U. Griesenbach, H. D. Liang et al., “Use of ultrasound to enhance nonviral lung gene transfer in vivo,” Gene Therapy, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 768–774, 2007.
- Z. P. Shen, A. A. Brayman, L. Chen, and C. H. Miao, “Ultrasound with microbubbles enhances gene expression of plasmid DNA in the liver via intraportal delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 1147–1155, 2008.
- F. Nie, H. X. Xu, M. D. Lu, Y. Wang, and Q. Tang, “Anti-angiogenic gene therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma mediated by microbubble-enhanced ultrasound exposure: an in vivo experimental study,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2008.
- R. Bekeredjian, S. Chen, P. A. Frenkel, P. A. Grayburn, and R. V. Shohet, “Ultrasound-targeted microbubble destruction can repeatedly direct highly specific plasmid expression to the heart,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 1022–1026, 2003.
- H. L. Li, X. Z. Zheng, H. P. Wang, F. Li, Y. Wu, and L. F. Du, “Ultrasound-targeted microbubble destruction enhances AAV-mediated gene transfection in human RPE cells in vitro and rat retina in vivo,” Gene Therapy, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1146–1153, 2009.
- H. Y. Lan, W. Mu, N. Tomita et al., “Inhibition of renal fibrosis by gene transfer of inducible Smad7 using ultrasound-microbubble system in rat UUO model,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1535–1548, 2003.
- T. Yu, G. Wang, K. Hu, P. Ma, J. Bai, and Z. Wang, “A microbubble agent improves the therapeutic efficiency of high intensity focused ultrasound: a rabbit kidney study,” Urological Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2004.
- H. L. Tang, Z. G. Wang, Q. Li et al., “Targeted delivery of bone mesenchymal stem cells by ultrasound destruction of microbubbles promotes kidney recovery in acute kidney injury,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 661–669, 2012.
- P. Liu, X. Wang, S. Zhou, X. Hua, Z. Liu, and Y. Gao, “Effects of a novel ultrasound contrast agent with long persistence on right ventricular pressure: comparison with SonoVue,” Ultrasonics, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 210–214, 2011.
- Z. Neshati, M. M. Matin, A. R. Bahrami, and A. Moghimi, “Differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells to insulin-producing cells and their impact on type 1 diabetic rats,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 2010.
- F. Tögel, Z. Hu, K. Weiss, J. Isaac, C. Lange, and C. Westenfelder, “Administered mesenchymal stem cells protect against ischemic acute renal failure through differentiation-independent mechanisms,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. F31–F42, 2005.
- A. H. Paz, G. D. Salton, A. Ayala-Lugo et al., “Betacellulin overexpression in mesenchymal stem cells induces insulin secretion in vitro and ameliorates streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemia in rats,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 223–232, 2011.
- M. B. Herrera, B. Bussolati, S. Bruno, V. Fonsato, G. M. Romanazzi, and G. Camussi, “Mesenchymal stem cells contribute to the renal repair of acute tubular epithelial injury,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1035–1041, 2004.
- V. Sordi, “Mesenchymal stem cell homing capacity,” Transplantation, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. S42–S45, 2009.
- C. J. Bailey, S. del Prato, D. Eddy, and B. Zinman, “Earlier intervention in type 2 diabetes: the case for achieving early and sustained glycaemic control,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1309–1316, 2005.
- F. E. Ezquer, M. E. Ezquer, D. B. Parrau, D. Carpio, A. J. Yañez, and P. A. Conget, “Systemic administration of multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells reverts hyperglycemia and prevents nephropathy in type 1 diabetic mice,” Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 631–640, 2008.
- F. N. Ziyadeh, “Mediators of diabetic renal disease: the case for TGF-β as the major mediator,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. S55–S57, 2004.
- G. Wolf, S. Chen, and F. N. Ziyadeh, “From the periphery of the glomerular capillary wall toward the center of disease: podocyte injury comes of age in diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1626–1634, 2005.
- S. Chen, B. Jim, and F. N. Ziyadeh, “Diabetic nephropathy and transforming growth factor-beta: transforming our view of glomerulosclerosis and fibrosis build-up,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 532–543, 2003.
- M. Ezquer, F. Ezquer, M. Ricca, C. Allers, and P. Conget, “Intravenous administration of multipotent stromal cells prevents the onset of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in obese mice with metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1112–1120, 2011.
- A. B. Carvalho, L. F. Quintanilha, J. V. Dias et al., “Bone marrow multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells do not reduce fibrosis or improve function in a rat model of severe chronic liver injury,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1307–1314, 2008.
- M. N. Karimabad, M. K. Arababadi, E. Hakimizadeh et al., “Is the IL-10 promoter olymorphism at position -592 associated with immune system-related diseases?” Inflammation, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2013.
- N. Akhtar, K. K. Verma, and A. Sharma, “Study of pro-and anti-inflammatory cytokine profile in the patients with parthenium dermatitis,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 203–208, 2010.
- J. F. Navarro-Gonzalez and C. Mora-Fernandez, “The role of inflammatory cytokines in diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 433–442, 2008.
- K. R. Tuttle, “Linking metabolism and immunology: diabetic nephropathy is an inflammatory disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1537–1538, 2005.
- F. Y. Chow, D. J. Nikolic-Paterson, E. Ozols, R. C. Atkins, B. J. Rollin, and G. H. Tesch, “Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 promotes the development of diabetic renal injury in streptozotocin-treated mice,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2006.
- P. Semedo, M. Correa-Costa, M. A. Cenedeze et al., “Mesenchymal stem cells attenuate renal fibrosis through immune modulation and remodeling properties in a rat remnant kidney model,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3063–3073, 2009.
- P. Mundel and S. J. Shankland, “Podocyte biology and response to injury,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 3005–3015, 2002.
- P. Mundel, H. W. Heid, T. M. Mundel, M. Krüger, J. Reiser, and W. Kriz, “Synaptopodin: an actin-associated protein in telencephalic dendrites and renal podocytes,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 193–204, 1997.
- K. Asanuma, K. Kim, J. Oh et al., “Synaptopodin regulates the actin-bundling activity of α-actinin in an isoform-specific manner,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1188–1198, 2005.