- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 527549, 15 pages
Effects of Chitosan on Candida albicans: Conditions for Its Antifungal Activity
Departamento de Genética Molecular, Instituto de Fisiología Celular, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Circuito Exterior s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
Received 18 April 2013; Accepted 19 May 2013
Academic Editor: Isabel Sá-Correia
Copyright © 2013 Antonio Peña et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Rinaudo, “Chitin and chitosan: properties and applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 31, pp. 603–632, 2006.
- E. I. Rabea, M. E.-T. Badawy, C. V. Stevens, G. Smagghe, and W. Steurbaut, “Chitosan as antimicrobial agent: applications and mode of action,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1457–1465, 2003.
- D. A. Yphantis, J. L. Dainko, and F. Schlenk, “Effect of some proteins on the yeast cell membrane,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 94, pp. 1509–1515, 1967.
- M. Dürr, T. Boller, and A. Wiemken, “Polybase induced lysis of yeast spheroplasts,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 105, pp. 319–327, 1975.
- V. Huber-Wälchli and A. Wiemken, “Differential extraction of soluble pools from the cytosol and the vacuoles of yeast (Candida utilis) using DEAE-dextran,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 120, pp. 141–149, 1979.
- J. Y. Je and S. K. Kim, “Chitosan derivatives killed bacteria by disrupting the outer and inner membrane,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, pp. 6629–6633, 2006.
- F. Seyfarth, S. Schliemann, P. Elsner, and U. C. Hipler, “Antifungal effect of high and low-molecular-weight chitosan hydrochloride, carboxymethyl chitosan, chitosan oligosaccharide and N-acetyl-d-glucosamine against Candida albicans, Candida kruseiand Candida glabrata,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 353, pp. 139–148, 2008.
- X. Meng, R. Xing, S. Liu et al., “Molecular weight and pH effects of aminoethyl modified chitosan on antibacterial activity in vitro,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 50, pp. 918–924, 2012.
- E. Enríquez-Freire, R. L. López, and A. Peña, “Potassium ion efflux induced by cationic compounds in yeast,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1418, pp. 147–157, 1999.
- R. A. Dixon, M. J. Harrison, and C. J. Lamb, “Early events in the activation of plant defense responses,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 32, pp. 479–501, 1994.
- D. H. Young, H. Köhle, and H. Kauss, “Effect of chitosan on membrane permeability of suspension-cultures Glycine max and Phaseolus vulgaris cells,” Plant Physiology, vol. 70, pp. 1449–1454, 1982.
- T. Singh, D. Vesentini, A. P. Singh, and G. Daniel, “Effect of chitosan on physiological, morphological and structural characteristics of wood-degrading fungi,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 62, pp. 116–124, 2008.
- H. Liu, Y. Du, X. Wang, and I. Sun, “Chitosan kills bacteria through cell membrane damage,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 95, pp. 147–155, 2004.
- D. J. Sullivan, T. J. Westerneng, K. A. Haynes, D. E. Bennett, and D. C. Coleman, “Candida dubliniensis sp. nov.: phenotypic and molecular characterization of a novel species associated with oral candidosis in HIV-infected individuals,” Microbiology, vol. 141, pp. 1507–1521, 1995.
- M. Calahorra, N. S. Sánchez, and A. Peña, “Characterization of glycolytic metabolism and ion transport of Candida albicans,” Yeast, vol. 29, pp. 357–370, 2012.
- C. A. Fiske and Y. Subbarow, “The colorimetric determination of phosphorus,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 66, pp. 375–400, 1925.
- N. S. Sánchez, A. Peña, and M. Calahorra, “Estimation of the electric plasma membrane potential difference in yeast with fluorescent dyes: comparative study of methods,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, vol. 42, pp. 419–432, 2010.
- Y. Krauke and H. Sychrova, “Functional comparison of plasma-membrane Na+/H+ antiporters from two pathogenic Candida species,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 8, p. 80, 2008.
- W. E. Courchesne, “Characterization of a novel, broad based fungididal activity for the antiarrhytmic drug amiodarone,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 300, pp. 195–199, 2012.
- L. Maresova, S. Muend, Y.-Q. Zhang, H. Sychrova, and R. Rao, “Membrane hyperpolarization drives cation influx and fungicidal activity of amiodarone,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 5, pp. 2795–2802, 2009.
- A. Peña, M. Calahorra, B. Michel, J. Ramírez, and N. S. Sánchez, “Effects of amiodarone on K+, internal pH and Ca2+ homeostasis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 9, pp. 832–848, 2009.
- L. Hartl, S. Zach, and V. Seidl-Seiboth, “Fungal chitinases: diversity, mechanistic properties and biotechnological potential,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 93, pp. 533–543, 2012.
- M. J. Kuranda and P. W. Robbins, “Chitinase is required for cell separation during growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 266, no. 29, pp. 19758–219767, 1991.
- L. Chernin, Z. Ismailov, S. Haran, and I. Chet, “Chitinolytic Enterobacter agglomerans Antagonistic to Fungal Plant Pathogens,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, pp. 1720–1726, 1995.
- I. Tews, R. Vincentelli, and C. E. Vorgias, “N-acetylglucosaminidase (chitobiase) from Serratia marcescens: gene sequence, and protein production and purification in Escherichia coli,” Gene, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 1996.
- B. E. Ambrosé, J. Bonmort, P. Fleurat-Lessard, and G. Roblin, “Early events induced by chitosan on plant cells,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 59, pp. 2317–2324, 2008.
- A. Palmeira-de-Oliveira, L. A. Passarinha, C. Gaspar et al., “The relationship between Candida species charge density and chitosan activity evaluated by ion-exchange chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 879, no. 31, pp. 3749–3751, 2011.
- R. Dumitru, J. M. Hornby, and K. W. Nickerson, “Defined anaerobic growth medium for studying Candida albicans basic biology and resistance to eight antifungal drugs,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, pp. 2350–2354, 2004.
- G. W. F. H. Borst-Pauwels and A. P. R. Theuvenet, “Apparent saturation kinetics of divalent cation uptake in yeast caused by a reduction in the surface potential,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, vol. 771, pp. 171–176, 1984.
- Génolevures Database, “Genomic exploration of the Hemiascomycete yeasts,” Center of Bioinformatics, Bordeaux, http://www.genolevures.org/.
- S. Muend and R. Rao, “Fungicidal activity of amiodarone is tightly coupled to calcium influx,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 8, pp. 425–431, 2008.
- D. Granot, A. Levine, and E. Dor-Hefetz, “Sugar-induced apoptosis in yeast cells,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 4, pp. 7–13, 2003.
- F. A. Hoeberichts, J. Perez-Valle, C. Montesinos et al., “The role of K+ and H+ transport systems during glucose-and H2O2-induced cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Yeast, vol. 27, pp. 713–725, 2010.
- P. Gupta, S. K. Mahanty, S. Ansari, and R. Prasad, “Isolation, purification and kinetic characterization of plasma membrane H+-ATPase of Candida albicans,” International Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 24, pp. 907–915, 1991.
- J. García Rincón, J. Vega Pérez, M. G. Guerra Sánchez, A. N. Hernández Lauzardo, A. Peña-Díaz, and M. G. Velázquez del Valle, “Effect of chitosan on growth and plasma membrane properties of Rhizopus stolonifer (Ehrenb.:Fr.) Vuill,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 97, pp. 275–278, 2010.
- N. Avéret, V. Fitton, O. Bunoust, M. Rigoulet, and B. Guérin, “Yeast mitochondrial metabolism: from in vitro to in situ quantitative study,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 184, pp. 67–79, 1998.
- A. Dünkler, A. Walther, C. A. Specht, and J. Wendland, “Candida albicans CHT3 encodes the functional homolog of the Cts1 chitinase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Fungal Genetics and Biology, vol. 42, pp. 935–947, 2005.
- J. Palma-Guerrero, I. C. Huang, H. B. Jansson, J. Salinas, L. B. Lopez-Llorca, and N. D. Read, “Chitosan permeabilizes the plasma membrane and kills cells of Neurospora crassa in an energy dependent manner,” Fungal Genetics and Biology, vol. 46, pp. 585–594, 2009.