- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 527570, 6 pages
Modes of Inhibition of α-Amylase and α-Glucosidase by Aqueous Extract of Morinda lucida Benth Leaf
1Department of Biochemistry, Lagos State University, PMB 0001, LASU Post Office, Lagos, Nigeria
2Department of Chemistry, Lagos State University, PMB 0001, LASU Post Office, Lagos, Nigeria
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 1 October 2013; Accepted 11 October 2013
Academic Editor: Jude M. Przyborski
Copyright © 2013 M. I. Kazeem et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. S. Bello, T. Oduola, O. G. Adeosun, N. O. A. Omisore, G. O. Raheem, and A. A. Ademosun, “Evaluation of antimalarial activity of various fractions of Morinda lucida leaf extract and Alstonia boonei stem bark,” Global Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 163–165, 2009.
- J. O. Adebayo and A. U. Krettli, “Potential antimalarials from Nigerian plants: a review,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 289–302, 2011.
- B. Oliver-Bever, Medicinal Plant in Tropical West Africa, Cambridge University Press, London, UK, 2007.
- A. A. Adeneye, J. A. Olagunju, A. S. Benebo et al., “Nephroprotective effects of the aqueous root extract of Harungana madagascariensis (L.) In acute and repeated dose acetaminophen renal injured rats,” International Journal of Applied Research in Natural Products, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 6–14, 2008.
- O. A. Olajide, S. O. Awe, J. M. Makinde, and O. Morebise, “Evaluation of the anti-diabetic property of Morinda lucida leaves in streptozotocin-diabetic rats,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1321–1324, 1999.
- A. A. Adeneye and E. O. Agbaje, “Pharmacological evaluation of oral hypoglycemic and antidiabetic effects of fresh leaves ethanol extract of Morinda lucida benth. In normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” African Journal Biomedical Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2008.
- O. Klein, J. Lynge, L. Endahl, B. Damholt, L. Nosek, and T. Heise, “Albumin-bound basal insulin analogues (insulin detemir and NN344): comparable time-action profiles but less variability than insulin glargine in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 290–299, 2007.
- T. Heise, L. Nosek, B. B. Rønn et al., “Lower within-subject variability of insulin detemir in comparison to NPH insulin and insulin glargine in people with type 1 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1614–1620, 2004.
- A. F. Afifi, E. M. Kamel, A. A. Khalil, M. A. Foaad, E. M. Fawziand, and M. Houseny, “Purification and characterization of a-amylase from penicillium olsonii under the effect of some antioxidant vitamins,” Global Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 14–12, 2008.
- V. Manohar, N. A. Talpur, B. W. Echard, S. Lieberman, and H. G. Preuss, “Effects of a water-soluble extract of maitake mushroom on circulating glucose/insulin concentrations in KK mice,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2002.
- Y.-I. Kwon, E. Apostolidis, and K. Shetty, “Evaluation of pepper (Capsicum annuum) for management of diabetes and hypertension,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 370–385, 2007.
- T. Matsui, I. A. Ogunwande, K. J. M. Abesundara, and K. Matsumoto, “Anti-hyperglycemic potential of natural products,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 349–356, 2006.
- H. Matsuda, T. Morikawa, and M. Yoshikawa, “Antidiabetogenic constituents from several natural medicines,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 1301–1308, 2002.
- I. A. Ogunwande, T. Matsui, T. Fujise, and K. Matsumoto, “α-Glucosidase inhibitory profile of Nigerian medicinal plants in immobilized assay system,” Food Science and Technology Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 169–172, 2007.
- G. E. Trease and W. C. Evans, Pharmacognosy, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1996.
- A. Sofowora, Medical Plants and Traditional Medicine in Africa, Spectrum Books, Ibadan, Nigeria, 2006.
- P. P. McCue and K. Shetty, “Inhibitory effects of rosmarinic acid extracts on porcine pancreatic amylase in vitro,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 2004.
- H. Ali, P. J. Houghton, and A. Soumyanath, “α-Amylase inhibitory activity of some Malaysian plants used to treat diabetes; with particular reference to Phyllanthus amarus,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 449–455, 2006.
- D. L. Nelson and M. M. Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, W. H. Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 2008.
- Y.-M. Kim, Y.-K. Jeong, M.-H. Wang, W.-Y. Lee, and H.-I. Rhee, “Inhibitory effect of pine extract on α-glucosidase activity and postprandial hyperglycemia,” Nutrition, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 756–761, 2005.
- P. Mccue, Y.-I. Kwon, and K. Shetty, “Anti-amylase, anti-glucosidase and anti-angiotensin I-converting enzyme potential of selected foods,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 278–294, 2005.
- E. Apostolidis, Y.-I. Kwon, and K. Shetty, “Inhibitory potential of herb, fruit, and fungal-enriched cheese against key enzymes linked to type 2 diabetes and hypertension,” Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 46–54, 2007.
- L. J. Shai, P. Masoko, M. P. Mokgotho et al., “Yeast alpha glucosidase inhibitory and antioxidant activities of six medicinal plants collected in Phalaborwa, South Africa,” South African Journal of Botany, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 465–470, 2010.
- O. Kwon, P. Eck, S. Chen et al., “Inhibition of the intestinal glucose transporter GLUT2 by flavonoids,” FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 366–377, 2007.
- A. M. Mogale, L. S. Lebelo, N. Thovhogi, A. N. de Freitas, and L. J. Shai, “α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitory effects of sclerocarya birrea [(A. Rich.) Hochst.] subspecies caffra (Sond) Kokwaro (Anacardiaceae) stem-bark extracts,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 66, pp. 15033–15039, 2011.