- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 529589, 18 pages
Recovery of Fertility in Azoospermia Rats after Injection of Adipose-Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The Sperm Generation
1Ankalife IVF and Women Health Centre, Ankara, Turkey
2Stem Cell Department, Institute of Health Sciences, Kocaeli University Center for Stem Cell and Gene Therapies Research and Practice, Izmit, 41380 Kocaeli, Turkey
3Urology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Ufuk University, Ankara, Turkey
4Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
5Pathology Department, Ankara Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Received 10 October 2012; Revised 6 December 2012; Accepted 9 December 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas Skutella
Copyright © 2013 Cihangir Cakici et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Y. Lin, B. S. Lee, C. C. Liao, W. J. Cheng, F. M. Chang, and M. H. Chen, “Transdifferentiation of bone marrow stem cells into acinar cells using a double chamber system,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2007.
- M. Stashower, K. Smith, J. Williams, and H. Skelton, “Stromal progenitor cells present within liposuction and reduction abdominoplasty fat for autologous transfer to aged skin,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 945–949, 1999.
- Y. C. Halvorsen, W. O. Wilkison, and J. M. Gimble, “Adipose-derived stromal cells—their utility and petential in bone formation,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. S41–S44, 2000.
- Y. D. C. Halvorsen, D. Franklin, A. L. Bond et al., “Extracellular matrix mineralization and osteoblast gene expression by human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 729–741, 2001.
- Y. D. C. Halvorsen, A. Bond, A. Sen et al., “Thiazolidinediones and glucocorticoids synergistically induce differentiation of human adipose tissue stromal cells: biochemical, cellular, and molecular analysis,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 407–413, 2001.
- S. Gronthos, D. M. Franklin, H. A. Leddy, P. G. Robey, R. W. Storms, and J. M. Gimble, “Surface protein characterization of human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 54–63, 2001.
- A. Sen, Y. R. Lea-Currie, D. Sujkowska, et al., “Adipogenic potential of human adipose derived stromal cells from multiple donors is heterogeneous,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 312–319, 2001.
- P. Wu, K. Sato, S. Yukawa, Y. Hikasa, and K. Kagota, “Differentiation of stromal-vascular cells isolated from canine adipose tissues in primary culture,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 2001.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, H. Mizuno et al., “Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for cell-based therapies,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 211–228, 2001.
- T. S. Housman, N. Lawrence, B. G. Mellen et al., “The safety of liposuction: results of a national survey,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 971–978, 2002.
- S. Lendeckel, A. Jödicke, P. Christophis et al., “Autologous stem cells (adipose) and fibrin glue used to treat widespread traumatic calvarial defects: case report,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 370–373, 2004.
- B. M. Strem, K. C. Hicok, M. Zhu et al., “Multipotential differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells,” The Keio Journal of Medicine, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 132–141, 2005.
- B. Fang, Y. P. Song, L. M. Liao, Q. Han, and R. C. Zhao, “Treatment of severe therapy-resistant acute graft-versus-host disease with human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 389–390, 2006.
- T. A. Moseley, M. Zhu, and M. H. Hedrick, “Adipose-derived stem and progenitor cells as fillers in plastic and reconstructive surgery,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 121–128, 2006.
- H. Ning, G. Lin, T. F. Lue, and C. S. Lin, “Neuron-like differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stromal cells and vascular smooth muscle cells,” Differentiation, vol. 74, no. 9-10, pp. 510–518, 2006.
- B. Fang, Y. Song, Q. Lin et al., “Human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cells as salvage therapy for treatment of severe refractory acute graft-vs.-host disease in two children,” Pediatric Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 814–817, 2007.
- C. Valina, K. Pinkernell, Y. H. Song et al., “Intracoronary administration of autologous adipose tissue-derived stem cells improves left ventricular function, perfusion, and remodelling after acute myocardial infarction,” European Heart Journal, vol. 28, no. 21, pp. 2667–2677, 2007.
- K. Yoshimura, K. Sato, N. Aoi, M. Kurita, T. Hirohi, and K. Harii, “Cell-assisted lipotransfer for cosmetic breast augmentation: supportive use of adipose-derived stem/stromal cells,” Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 2008.
- Y. Toyooka, N. Tsunekawa, R. Akasu, and T. Noce, “Embryonic stem cells can form germ cells in vitro,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 20, pp. 11457–11462, 2003.
- N. Geijsen, M. Horoschak, K. Kim, J. Gribnau, K. Eggan, and G. Q. Daley, “Derivation of embryonic germ cells and male gametes from embryonic stem cells,” Nature, vol. 427, no. 6970, pp. 148–154, 2004.
- J. A. West, I. H. Park, G. Q. Daley, and N. Geijsen, “In vitro generation of germ cells from murine embryonic stem cells,” Nature Protocols, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 2026–2036, 2006.
- K. Nayernia, M. Li, L. Jaroszynski et al., “Stem cell based therapeutical approach of male infertility by teratocarcinoma derived germ cells,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 1451–1460, 2004.
- K. Nayernia, J. Nolte, H. W. Michelmann et al., “In vitro-differentiated embryonic stem cells give rise to male gametes that can generate offspring mice,” Developmental Cell, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2006.
- K. Nayernia, J. H. Lee, N. Drusenheimer et al., “Derivation of male germ cells from bone marrow stem cells,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 654–663, 2006.
- N. Drusenheimer, G. Wulf, J. Nolte et al., “Putative human male germ cells from bone marrow stem cells,” Society of Reproduction and Fertility Supplement, vol. 63, pp. 69–76, 2007.
- Y. Lue, K. Erkkila, P. Y. Liu et al., “Fate of bone marrow stem cells transplanted into the testis: potential implication for men with testicular failure,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 899–908, 2007.
- J. Kim, M. Seandel, I. Falciatori, D. Wen, and S. Rafii, “CD34+ testicular stromal cells support long-term expansion of embryonic and adult stem and progenitor cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 2516–2522, 2008.
- J. Hua, P. Qiu, H. Zhu, H. Cao, F. Wang, and W. Li, “Multipotent mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) from human umbilical cord: potential differentiation of germ cells,” African Journal of Biochemistry Research, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 113–123, 2011.
- M. L. Meistrich and M. Kangasniemi, “Hormone treatment after irradiation stimulates recovery of rat spermatogenesis from surviving spermatogonia,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 80–87, 1997.
- T. Ogawa, J. M. Aréchaga, M. R. Avarbock, and R. L. Brinster, “Transplantation of testis germinal cells into mouse seminiferous tubules,” International Journal of Developmental Biology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 111–122, 1997.
- E. Southern, “Southern blotting,” Nature Protocols, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 518–525, 2006.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, P. Ashjian et al., “Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 4279–4295, 2002.
- K. M. Safford, K. C. Hicok, S. D. Safford et al., “Neurogenic differentiation of murine and human adipose-derived stromal cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 294, no. 2, pp. 371–379, 2002.
- P. H. Ashjian, A. S. Elbarbary, B. Edmonds et al., “In vitro differentiation of human processed lipoaspirate cells into early neural progenitors,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1922–1931, 2003.
- S. K. Kang, D. H. Lee, Y. C. Bae, H. K. Kim, S. Y. Baik, and J. S. Jung, “Improvement of neurological deficits by intracerebral transplantation of human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells after cerebral ischemia in rats,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 183, no. 2, pp. 355–366, 2003.
- S. S. Tholpady, A. J. Katz, and R. C. Ogle, “Mesenchymal stem cells from rat visceral fat exhibit multipotential differentiation in vitro,” Anatomical Record Part A, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 398–402, 2003.
- S. K. Kang, L. A. Putnam, J. Ylostalo et al., “Neurogenesis of Rhesus adipose stromal cells,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 18, pp. 4289–4299, 2004.
- A. C. Boquest, A. Shahdadfar, K. Frønsdal et al., “Isolation and transcription profiling of purified uncultured human stromal stem cells: alteration of gene expression after in vitro cell culture,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 1131–1141, 2005.
- J. Fujimura, R. Ogawa, H. Mizuno, Y. Fukunaga, and H. Suzuki, “Neural differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells isolated from GFP transgenic mice,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 333, no. 1, pp. 116–121, 2005.
- F. Guilak, K. E. Lott, H. A. Awad et al., “Clonal analysis of the differentiation potential of human adipose-derived adult stem cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 229–237, 2006.
- S. K. Kang, M. J. Shin, J. S. Jung, Y. G. Kim, and C. H. Kim, “Autologous adipose tissue-derived stromal cells for treatment of spinal cord injury,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 583–594, 2006.
- T. Nagase, D. Matsumoto, M. Nagase et al., “Neurospheres from human adipose tissue transplanted into cultured mouse embryos can contribute to craniofacial morphogenesis: a preliminary report,” Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 2007.
- A. T. Clark, M. S. Bodnar, M. Fox et al., “Spontaneous differentiation of germ cells from human embryonic stem cells in vitro,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 727–739, 2004.
- P. W. Dyce, L. Wen, and J. Li, “In vitro germline potential of stem cells derived from fetal porcine skin,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 384–390, 2006.
- O. Lacham-Kaplan, H. Chy, and A. Trounson, “Testicular cell conditioned medium supports differentiation of embryonic stem cells into ovarian structures containing oocytes,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 266–273, 2006.
- J. Hua, H. Yu, W. Dong et al., “Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) from human fetal lung: potential differentiation of germ cells,” Tissue and Cell, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 448–455, 2009.
- T. Yazawa, T. Mizutani, K. Yamada et al., “Differentiation of adult stem cells derived from bone marrow stroma into Leydig or adrenocortical cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 9, pp. 4104–4111, 2006.
- S. G. Ball, A. C. Shuttleworth, and C. M. Kielty, “Direct cell contact influences bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell fate,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 714–727, 2004.
- M. Koyanagi, R. P. Brandes, J. Haendeler, A. M. Zeiher, and S. Dimmeler, “Cell-to-cell connection of endothelial progenitor cells with cardiac myocytes by nanotubes: a novel mechanism for cell fate changes?” Circulation Research, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1039–1041, 2005.
- C. Lange, H. Bruns, D. Kluth, A. R. Zander, and H. C. Fiegel, “Hepatocytic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in cocultures with fetal liver cells,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 15, pp. 2394–2397, 2006.
- S. M. Richardson, R. V. Walker, S. Parker et al., “Intervertebral disc cell-mediated mesenchymal stem cell differentiation,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 707–716, 2006.
- F. J. Rivera, W. D. Sierralta, J. J. Minguell, and L. Aigner, “Adult hippocampus derived soluble factors induce a neuronal-like phenotype in mesenchymal stem cells,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 406, no. 1-2, pp. 49–54, 2006.
- T. Wang, Z. Xu, W. Jiang, and A. Ma, “Cell-to-cell contact induces mesenchymal stem cell to differentiate into cardiomyocyte and smooth muscle cell,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 74–81, 2006.
- K. L. Doyle, A. Kazda, Y. Hort, S. M. McKay, and S. Oleskevich, “Differentiation of adult mouse olfactory precursor cells into hair cells in vitro,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 621–627, 2007.
- I. C. Lee, J. H. Wang, Y. T. Lee, and T. H. Young, “The differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells by mechanical stress or/and co-culture system,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 352, no. 1, pp. 147–152, 2007.
- C. S. Lin, Z. C. Xin, C. H. Deng, H. Ning, G. Lin, and T. F. Lue, “Recent advances in andrology-related stem cell research,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2008.
- X. T. Meng, D. Chen, Z. Y. Dong, and J. M. Liu, “Enhanced neural differentiation of neural stem cells and neurite growth by amniotic epithelial cell co-culture,” Cell Biology International, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 691–698, 2007.
- Y. Yamada, S. I. Yokoyama, N. Fukuda et al., “A novel approach for myocardial regeneration with educated cord blood cells cocultured with cells from brown adipose tissue,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 353, no. 1, pp. 182–188, 2007.
- R. Schofield, “The relationship between the spleen colony-forming cell and the haemopoietic stem cell. A hypothesis,” Blood Cells, vol. 4, no. 1-2, pp. 7–25, 1978.
- X. Meng, M. Lindahl, M. E. Hyvönen et al., “Regulation of cell fate decision of undifferentiated spermatogonia by GDNF,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5457, pp. 1489–1493, 2000.
- Y. Tadokoro, K. Yomogida, H. Ohta, A. Tohda, and Y. Nishimune, “Homeostatic regulation of germinal stem cell proliferation by the GDNF/FSH pathway,” Mechanisms of Development, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 29–39, 2002.
- M. Kanatsu-Shinohara, N. Ogonuki, K. Inoue et al., “Long-term proliferation in culture and germline transmission of mouse male germline stem cells,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 612–616, 2003.
- H. Kubota, M. R. Avarbock, and R. L. Brinster, “Growth factors essential for self-renewal and expansion of mouse spermatogonial stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 47, pp. 16489–16494, 2004.
- K. T. Ebata, J. R. Yeh, X. Zhang, and M. C. Nagano, “Soluble growth factors stimulate spermatogonial stem cell divisions that maintain a stem cell pool and produce progenitors in vitro,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 317, no. 10, pp. 1319–1329, 2011.
- D. Jahner and R. Jaenisch, “Chromosomal position and specific demethylation in enhancer sequences of germ line-transmitted retroviral genomes during mouse development,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 2212–2220, 1985.
- A. Z. Rizvi, J. R. Swain, P. S. Davies et al., “Bone marrow-derived cells fuse with normal and transformed intestinal stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 16, pp. 6321–6325, 2006.
- K. Kemp, D. Gordon, D. C. Wraith et al., “Fusion between human mesenchymal stem cells and rodent cerebellar Purkinje cells,” Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 166–178, 2011.
- R. Gonzalez, L. Griparic, V. Vargas et al., “A putative mesenchymal stem cells population isolated from adult human testes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 385, no. 4, pp. 570–575, 2009.
- D. M. Kristensen, J. E. Nielsen, N. E. Skakkebaek et al., “Presumed pluripotency markers UTF-1 and REX-1 are expressed in human adult testes and germ cell neoplasms,” Human Reproduction, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 775–782, 2008.