- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 530382, 7 pages
Genotypic and Antimicrobial Characterisation of Propionibacterium acnes Isolates from Surgically Excised Lumbar Disc Herniations
1The School of Health and Life Sciences, Department of Biomolecular Sciences, Coventry University, CV1 5FB, UK
2Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen's University, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
3Research Department, Spine Centre of Southern Denmark, Hospital Lillebaelt, Middelfart, Institute of Regional Health Services Research, University of Southern Denmark, 5230, Denmark
4The School of Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
5University Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Received 10 February 2013; Revised 21 May 2013; Accepted 1 June 2013
Academic Editor: Yoshinobu Eishi
Copyright © 2013 Jess Rollason et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Dessinioti and A. D. Katsambas, “The role of Propionibacterium acnes in acne pathogenesis: facts and controversies,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 2–7, 2010.
- K. Arnell, K. Cesarini, A. Lagerqvist-Widh, T. Wester, and J. Sjölin, “Cerebrospinal fluid shunt infections in children over a 13-year period: anaerobic cultures and comparison of clinical signs of infection with Propionibacterium acnes and with other bacteria,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 366–372, 2008.
- A. Stirling, T. Worthington, M. Rafiq, P. A. Lambert, and T. S. J. Elliott, “Association between sciatica and Propionibacterium acnes,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9273, pp. 2024–2025, 2001.
- A. E. Harris, C. Hennicke, K. Byers, and W. C. Welch, “Postoperative discitis due to Propionibacterium acnes: a case report and review of the literature,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 538–541, 2005.
- I. Uçkay, A. Dinh, L. Vauthey et al., “Spondylodiscitis due to Propionibacterium acnes: report of twenty-nine cases and a review of the literature,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 353–358, 2010.
- H. Brüggemann, A. Henne, F. Hoster et al., “The complete genome sequence of Propionibacterium acnes, a commensal of human skin,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5684, pp. 671–673, 2004.
- E. Brzuszkiewicz, J. Weiner, A. Wollherr et al., “Comparative genomics and transcriptomics of Propionibacterium acnes,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e21581, 2011.
- G. J. Debelian, I. Olsen, and L. Tronstad, “Bacteremia in conjunction with endodontic therapy,” Endodontics & Dental Traumatology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 142–149, 1995.
- G. J. Roberts, H. S. Holzel, M. R. J. Sury, N. A. Simmons, P. Gardner, and P. Longhurst, “Dental bacteremia in children,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 24–27, 1997.
- M. Doita, T. Kanatani, T. Harada, and K. Mizuno, “Immunohistologic study of the ruptured intervertebral disc of the lumbar spine,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 235–241, 1996.
- T. Ito, M. Yamada, F. Ikuta et al., “Histologic evidence of absorption of sequestration-type herniated disc,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 230–234, 1996.
- H. B. Albert, P. Kjaer, T. S. Jensen, J. S. Sorensen, T. Bendix, and C. Manniche, “Modic changes, possible causes and relation to low back pain,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 361–368, 2008.
- H. B. Albert, P. Lambert, J. Rollason et al., “Does nuclear tissue infected with bacteria following disc herniations lead to Modic changes in the adjacent vertebrae?” European Spine Journal, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 690–696, 2013.
- G. C. McLorinan, J. V. Glenn, M. G. McMullan, and S. Patrick, “Propionibacterium acnes wound contamination at the time of spinal surgery,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 437, pp. 67–73, 2005.
- H. B. Albert, C. Manniche, J. S. Sorensen, and B. W. Deleuran, “Antibiotic treatment in patients with low-back pain associated with Modic changes type 1 (bone oedema): a pilot study,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 969–973, 2008.
- H. B. Albert, J. S. Sorensen, B. S. Christensen, and C. Manniche, “Antibiotic treatment in patients with chronic low back pain and vertebral bone edema (Modic type 1 changes): a double-blind randomized clinical controlled trial of efficacy,” European Spine Journal, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 697–707, 2013.
- A. McDowell, S. Valanne, G. Ramage et al., “Propionibacterium acnes types I and II represent phylogenetically distinct groups,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 326–334, 2005.
- A. McDowell, A. L. Perry, P. A. Lambert, and S. Patrick, “A new phylogenetic group of Propionibacterium acnes,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 218–224, 2008.
- A. McDowell, E. Barnard, I. Nagy et al., “An expanded multilocus sequence typing scheme for Propionibacterium acnes: investigation of “pathogenic”, “commensal” and antibiotic resistant strains,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID e41480, 2012.
- S. Valanne, A. McDowell, G. Ramage et al., “CAMP factor homologues in Propionibacterium acnes: a new protein family differentially expressed by types I and II,” Microbiology, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 1369–1379, 2005.
- M. J. Lodes, H. Secrist, D. R. Benson et al., “Variable expression of immunoreactive surface proteins of Propionibacterium acnes,” Microbiology, vol. 152, no. 12, pp. 3667–3681, 2006.
- I. Nagy, A. Pivarcsi, K. Kis et al., “Propionibacterium acnes and lipopolysaccharide induce the expression of antimicrobial peptides and proinflammatory cytokines/chemokines in human sebocytes,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2195–2205, 2006.
- D. R. Osmon, E. F. Berbari, A. R. Berendt et al., “Executive summary: diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- K. S. Sfanos and W. B. Isaacs, “An evaluation of PCR primer sets used for detection of Propionibacterium acnes in prostate tissue samples,” Prostate, vol. 68, no. 14, pp. 1492–1495, 2008.
- J. M. Caddick, A. C. Hilton, J. Rollason, P. A. Lambert, T. Worthington, and T. S. J. Elliott, “Molecular analysis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus reveals an absence of plasmid DNA in multidrug-resistant isolates,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 297–302, 2005.
- A. McDowell, J. Hunyadkürti, B. Horváth et al., “Draft genome sequence of an antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes strain, PRP-38, from the novel type IC cluster,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 194, no. 12, pp. 3260–3261, 2012.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Methods for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing of Anaerobic Bacteria, Approved Standard M11-A7, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2007.
- V. Agarwal, S. R. Golish, and T. F. Alamin, “Bacteriologic culture of excised intervertebral disc from immunocompetent patients undergoing single level primary lumbar microdiscectomy,” Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 397–400, 2011.
- J. Arndt, Y. P. Charles, C. Koebel, I. Bogorin, and J. P. Steib, “Bacteriology of degenerated lumbar intervertebral disks,” Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 211–216, 2012.
- J. W. Savage, B. M. Weatherford, P. A. Sugrue et al., “Efficacy of surgical preparation solutions in lumbar spine surgery,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 490–494, 2012.
- H. B. Lomholt and M. Kilian, “Population genetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnes identifies a subpopulation and epidemic clones associated with acne,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e12277, 2010.
- S. A. Niazi, D. Clarke, T. Do, S. C. Gilbert, F. Mannocci, and D. Beighton, “Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis isolated from refractory endodontic lesions are opportunistic pathogens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3859–3869, 2010.
- M. Kilian, C. F. P. Scholz, and H. B. Lomholt, “Multilocus sequence typing and phylogenetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnes,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1158–1165, 2012.
- G. A. Denys, R. C. Jerris, J. M. Swenson, and C. Thornsberry, “Susceptibility of Propionibacterium acnes clinical isolates to 22 antimicrobial agents,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 335–337, 1983.
- F. Mory, S. Fougnot, C. Rabaud, H. Schuhmacher, and A. Lozniewski, “In vitro activities of cefotaxime, vancomycin, quinupristin/dalfopristin, linezolid and other antibiotics alone and in combination against Propionibacterium acnes isolates from central nervous system infections,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 265–268, 2005.
- C. Oprica, C. E. Nord, S. Kalenic et al., “European surveillance study on the antibiotic susceptibility of Propionibacterium acnes,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 204–213, 2005.
- E. Jakab, R. Zbinden, J. Gubler, C. Ruef, A. Von Graevenitz, and M. Krause, “Severe infections caused by Propionibacterium acnes: an underestimated pathogen in late postoperative infections,” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 477–482, 1996.
- M. Nisbet, S. Briggs, R. Ellis-Pegler, M. Thomas, and D. Holland, “Propionibacterium acnes: an under-appreciated cause of post-neurosurgical infection,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1097–1103, 2007.
- R. Bayston, B. Nuradeen, W. Ashraf, and B. J. C. Freeman, “Antibiotics for the eradication of Propionibacterium acnes biofilms in surgical infection,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1298–1301, 2007.
- P. Y. Levy, F. Fenollar, A. Stein et al., “Propionibacterium acnes postoperative shoulder arthritis: an emerging clinical entity,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1884–1886, 2008.
- I. Kurokawa, S. Nishijima, and S. Kawabata, “Antimicrobial susceptibility of Propionibacterium acnes isolated from acne vulgaris,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 25–28, 1999.
- J. I. Ross, A. M. Snelling, E. A. Eady et al., “Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes isolated from acne patients attending dermatology clinics in Europe, the U.S.A., Japan and Australia,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 339–346, 2001.
- C. Oprica, L. Emtestam, J. Lapins et al., “Antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes on the skin of patients with moderate to severe acne in Stockholm,” Anaerobe, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 155–164, 2004.