- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 530712, 13 pages
Poly(lactic-co-glycolic) Acid/Nanohydroxyapatite Scaffold Containing Chitosan Microspheres with Adrenomedullin Delivery for Modulation Activity of Osteoblasts and Vascular Endothelial Cells
1VIP Integrated Department, School of Stomatology, Jilin University, 1500 Qinghua Road, Changchun 130021, China
2Implant Center, School of Stomatology, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
3State Key Laboratory of Polymer Physics and Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 5625 Renmin Avenue, Changchun 130022, China
Received 24 February 2013; Revised 7 May 2013; Accepted 17 May 2013
Academic Editor: Andre Van Wijnen
Copyright © 2013 Lin Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Aubin, “Regulation of osteoblast formation and function,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 2001.
- R. A. Jain, “The manufacturing techniques of various drug loaded biodegradable poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) devices,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 2475–2490, 2000.
- R. Dorati, C. Colonna, I. Genta, T. Modena, and B. Conti, “Effect of porogen on the physico-chemical properties and degradation performance of PLGA scaffolds,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 694–701, 2010.
- G. Papavasiliou, C. Ming-Huei, and E. M. Brey, “Strategies for vascularization of polymer scaffolds,” Journal of Investigative Medicine, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 838–844, 2010.
- J. G. Nemeno-Guanzon, S. Lee, and J. R. Berg, “Trends in tissue engineering for blood vessels,” Journal of Biomedcine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 956345, 14 pages, 2012.
- K. Kitamura, K. Kangawa, M. Kawamoto et al., “Adrenomedullin: a novel hypotensive peptide isolated from human pheochromocytoma,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 553–560, 1993.
- J. P. Hinson, S. Kapas, and D. M. Smith, “Adrenomedullin, a multifunctional regulatory peptide,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 138–167, 2000.
- Y. Ichiki, “Distribution and characterization of immunoreactive adrenomedullin in human tissue and plasma,” FEBS Letters, vol. 338, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 1994.
- J. G. Lainchbury, G. J. S. Cooper, D. H. Coy et al., “Adrenomedullin: a hypotensive hormone in man,” Clinical Science, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 467–472, 1997.
- W. K. Samson, T. Murphy, and D. A. Schell, “A novel vasoactive peptide, adrenomedullin, inhibits pituitary adrenocorticotropin release,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 5, pp. 2349–2352, 1995.
- F. Yoshihara, S.-I. Suga, N. Yasui et al., “Chronic administration of adrenomedullin attenuates the hypertension and increases renal nitric oxide synthase in Dahl salt-sensitive rats,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2005.
- J. Cornish, D. Naot, and I. R. Reid, “Adrenomedullin—a regulator of bone formation,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 112, no. 1–3, pp. 79–86, 2003.
- D. Ribatti, B. Nico, R. Spinazzi, A. Vacca, and G. G. Nussdorfer, “The role of adrenomedullin in angiogenesis,” Peptides, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1670–1675, 2005.
- R. P. Allaker and S. Kapas, “Adrenomedullin and mucosal defence: interaction between host and microorganism,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 112, no. 1–3, pp. 147–152, 2003.
- M. Gröschl, O. Wendler, H.-G. Topf, J. Bohlender, and H. Köhler, “Significance of salivary adrenomedullin in the maintenance of oral health: stimulation of oral cell proliferation and antibacterial properties,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 154, no. 1–3, pp. 16–22, 2009.
- J. Cornish, K. E. Callon, D. H. Coy et al., “Adrenomedullin is a potent stimulator of osteoblastic activity in vitro and in vivo,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 273, no. 6, pp. E1113–E1120, 1997.
- J. Cornish, K. E. Callon, U. Bava et al., “Systemic administration of adrenomedullin(27–52) increases bone volume and strength in male mice,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 251–257, 2001.
- V. P. Michelangeli, A. E. Fletcher, E. H. Allen, G. C. Nicholson, and T. J. Martin, “Effects of calcitonin gene-related peptide on cyclic AMP formation in chicken, rat, and mouse bone cells,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 269–272, 1989.
- H. Hamada, K. Kitamura, E. Chosa, T. Eto, and N. Tajima, “Adrenomedullin stimulates the growth of cultured normal human osteoblasts as an autocrine/paracine regulator,” Peptides, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2163–2168, 2002.
- H.-Q. Mao, K. Roy, V. L. Troung-Le et al., “Chitosan-DNA nanoparticles as gene carriers: synthesis, characterization and transfection efficiency,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 399–421, 2001.
- J. Varshosaz, “The promise of chitosan microspheres in drug delivery systems,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 263–273, 2007.
- K. G. H. Desai and H. J. Park, “Encapsulation of vitamin C in tripolyphosphate cross-linked chitosan microspheres by spray drying,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 179–192, 2005.
- S. Tamura, H. Kataoka, Y. Matsui et al., “The effects of transplantation of osteoblastic cells with bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)/carrier complex on bone repair,” Bone, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2001.
- L. Wang, C.-Y. Li, P. He, L. Fu, Y.-M. Zhou, and X.-S. Chen, “Preparation and bioactivities of plga/nano-hydroxyapatite scaffold containing chitosan microspheres for controlled delivery of mutifuncational peptide-adrenomedullin,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1622–1628, 2011.
- Y. X. Wan, X. Cao, Q. Wu, S. Zhang, and W. Sheng, “Preparation and mechanical properties of poly(chitosan-g-DL-lactic acid) fibrous mesh scaffolds,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 114–123, 2008.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- L. Illum, I. Jabbal-Gill, M. Hinchcliffe, A. N. Fisher, and S. S. Davis, “Chitosan as a novel nasal delivery system for vaccines,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 51, no. 1–3, pp. 81–96, 2001.
- J. A. Ko, H. J. Park, S. J. Hwang, J. B. Park, and J. S. Lee, “Preparation and characterization of chitosan microparticles intended for controlled drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 165–174, 2002.
- S. Mobini, J. Javadpour, M. Hosseinalipour, M. Ghazi-Khansari, A. Khavandi, and H. R. Rezaie, “Synthesis and characterisation of gelatin-nano hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Advances in Applied Ceramics, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 4–8, 2008.
- A. H. Touny, C. Laurencin, L. Nair, H. Allcock, and P. W. Brown, “Formation of composites comprised of calcium deficient HAp and cross-linked gelatin,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 3193–3201, 2008.
- W. Zeng, J. Huang, X. Hu et al., “Ionically cross-linked chitosan microspheres for controlled release of bioactive nerve growth factor,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 421, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 2011.
- X. Z. Shu and K. J. Zhu, “Controlled drug release properties of ionically cross-linked chitosan beads: the influence of anion structure,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 233, no. 1-2, pp. 217–225, 2002.
- K. G. H. Desai and H. J. Park, “Preparation of cross-linked chitosan microspheres by spray drying: effect of cross-linking agent on the properties of spray dried microspheres,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 377–395, 2005.
- C. Mandoli, B. Mecheri, G. Forte et al., “Thick soft tissue reconstruction on highly perfusive biodegradable scaffolds,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 127–138, 2010.
- F. J. O'Brien, B. A. Harley, I. V. Yannas, and L. J. Gibson, “The effect of pore size on cell adhesion in collagen-GAG scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 433–441, 2005.
- J. A. Jansen, J. W. M. Vehof, P. Q. Ruhé et al., “Growth factor-loaded scaffolds for bone engineering,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 101, no. 1–3, pp. 127–136, 2005.
- M. J. Dalby, S. Childs, M. O. Riehle, H. J. H. Johnstone, S. Affrossman, and A. S. G. Curtis, “Fibroblast reaction to island topography: changes in cytoskeleton and morphology with time,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 927–935, 2003.
- Y. Wan, Y. Wang, Z. Liu et al., “Adhesion and proliferation of OCT-1 osteoblast-like cells on micro- and nano-scale topography structured poly(L-lactide),” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 21, pp. 4453–4459, 2005.
- X. Niu, Q. Feng, M. Wang, X. Guo, and Q. Zheng, “Porous nano-HA/collagen/PLLA scaffold containing chitosan microspheres for controlled delivery of synthetic peptide derived from BMP-2,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 111–117, 2009.
- W. Huang, X. Shi, L. Ren, C. Du, and Y. Wang, “PHBV microspheres—PLGA matrix composite scaffold for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 4278–4285, 2010.
- K. M. Kulig and J. P. Vacanti, “Hepatic tissue engineering,” Transplant Immunology, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 303–310, 2004.
- D. W. Hutmacher, “Scaffolds in tissue engineering bone and cartilage,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 2529–2543, 2000.
- Y. X. Huang, J. Ren, C. Chen, T. B. Ren, and X. Y. Zhou, “Preparation and properties of poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA)/ Nano-Hydroxyapatite (NHA) scaffolds by thermally induced phase separation and rabbit MSCs culture on scaffolds,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 409–432, 2008.
- Y. Gong, Q. Zhou, C. Gao, and J. Shen, “in vitro and in vivo degradability and cytocompatibility of poly(l-lactic acid) scaffold fabricated by a gelatin particle leaching method,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 531–540, 2007.
- L. Wu and J. Ding, “in vitro degradation of three-dimensional porous poly(D,L-lactide-co- glycolide) scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 27, pp. 5821–5830, 2004.
- L. Lu, S. J. Peter, M. D. Lyman et al., “in vitro and in vivo degradation of porous poly(DL-lactic-co-glycolic acid) foams,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 1837–1845, 2000.
- J. M. Oliveira, M. T. Rodrigues, S. S. Silva et al., “Novel hydroxyapatite/chitosan bilayered scaffold for osteochondral tissue-engineering applications: scaffold design and its performance when seeded with goat bone marrow stromal cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 36, pp. 6123–6137, 2006.
- M. J. Kim, J.-H. Kim, G. Yi, S.-H. Lim, Y. S. Hong, and D. J. Chung, “in vitro and in vivo application of PLGA nanofiber for artificial blood vessel,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 345–352, 2008.
- T. R. Arnett, “Extracellular pH regulates bone cell function,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. S415–S418, 2008.
- Z. S. Al-Aql, A. S. Alagl, D. T. Graves, L. C. Gerstenfeld, and T. A. Einhorn, “Molecular mechanisms controlling bone formation during fracture healing and distraction osteogenesis,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 107–118, 2008.
- H. Bahar, D. Benayahu, A. Yaffe, and I. Binderman, “Molecular signaling in bone regeneration,” Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 87–101, 2007.
- C. H. Damsky, “Extracellular matrix-integrin interactions in osteoblast function and tissue remodeling,” Bone, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 95–96, 1999.
- S. F. El-Amin, H. H. Lu, Y. Khan et al., “Extracellular matrix production by human osteoblasts cultured on biodegradable polymers applicable for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1213–1221, 2003.
- M. Sila-Asna, A. Bunyaratvej, S. Maeda, H. Kitaguchi, and N. Bunyaratavej, “Osteoblast differentiation and bone formation gene expression in strontium-inducing bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell,” Kobe Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2007.
- K. K. Frick, J. Li, and D. A. Bushinsky, “Acute metabolic acidosis inhibits the induction of osteoblastic egr-1 and type 1 collagen,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 272, no. 5, pp. C1450–C1456, 1997.
- P. Ducy, R. Zhang, V. Geoffroy, A. L. Ridall, and G. Karsenty, “Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation,” Cell, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 747–754, 1997.
- J. H. Jonason, G. Xiao, M. Zhang, L. Xing, and D. Chen, “Post-translational regulation of Runx2 in bone and cartilage,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 693–703, 2009.
- S. H. H. Hong, X. Lu, M. S. Nanes, and J. Mitchell, “Regulation of osterix (Osx, Sp7) and the Osx promoter by parathyroid hormone in osteoblasts,” Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 197–207, 2009.
- R. Binétruy-Tournaire, C. Demangel, B. Malavaud et al., “Identification of a peptide blocking vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-mediated angiogenesis,” EMBO Journal, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1525–1533, 2000.
- D. Guidolin, G. Albertin, R. Spinazzi et al., “Adrenomedullin stimulates angiogenic response in cultured human vascular endothelial cells: involvement of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2,” Peptides, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2013–2023, 2008.
- T. Shindo, Y. Kurihara, H. Nishimatsu et al., “Vascular abnormalities and elevated blood pressure in mice lacking adrenomedullin gene,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 16, pp. 1964–1971, 2001.
- M. Garayoa, A. Martínez, S. Lee et al., “Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1) up-regulates adrenomedullin expression in human tumor cell lines during oxygen deprivation: a possible promotion mechanism of carcinogenesis,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 848–862, 2000.
- N. Schwarz, D. Renshaw, S. Kapas, and J. P. Hinson, “Adrenomedullin increases the expression of calcitonin-like receptor and receptor activity modifying protein 2 mRNA in human microvascular endothelial cells,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 505–514, 2006.
- T. Maki, M. Ihara, Y. Fujita et al., “Angiogenic roles of adrenomedullin through vascular endothelial growth factor induction,” NeuroReport, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 442–447, 2011.
- S. Fernandez-Sauze, C. Delfino, K. Mabrouk et al., “Effects of adrenomedullin on endothelial cells in the multistep process of angiogenesis: involvement of CRLR/RAMP2 and CRLR/RAMP3 receptors,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 797–804, 2004.