- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 531579, 7 pages
Does the Adult Human Ciliary Body Epithelium Contain “True” Retinal Stem Cells?
1Department of Ophthalmology, Oslo University Hospital, Pb 4950 Nydalen, 0407 Oslo, Norway
2Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged, Korányi fasor 10-11, Szeged 6720, Hungary
3Stem Cells and Eye Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical and Health Science Center and Apoptosis and Genomics Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei krt. 98, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
Received 3 July 2013; Revised 26 August 2013; Accepted 31 August 2013
Academic Editor: Daniel Petrovič
Copyright © 2013 Rebecca Frøen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Ramsden, M. B. Powner, A. J. Carr, M. J. Smart, L. da Cruz, and P. J. Coffey, “Stem cells in retinal regeneration: past, present and future,” Development, vol. 140, pp. 2576–2585, 2013.
- H. Skottman, S. Narkilahti, and O. Hovatta, “Challenges and approaches to the culture of pluripotent human embryonic stem cells,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 265–273, 2007.
- F. Osakada, Y. Hirami, and M. Takahashi, “Stem cell biology and cell transplantation therapy in the retina,” Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews, vol. 26, pp. 297–334, 2009.
- S. G. Wohl, C. W. Schmeer, and S. Isenmann, “Neurogenic potential of stem/progenitor-like cells in the adult mammalian eye,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 213–242, 2012.
- C. Y. Liu, U. Westerlund, M. Svensson et al., “Artificial niches for human adult neural stem cells: possibility for autologous transplantation therapy,” Journal of Hematotherapy and Stem Cell Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 689–699, 2003.
- S. Ramon y Cajal, Degeneration and Regeneration of the Nervous System, translated by R. M. Day from the 1913 Spanish edition, 1913.
- B. Bhatia, H. Jayaram, S. Singhal, M. F. Jones, and G. A. Limb, “Differences between the neurogenic and proliferative abilities of Müller glia with stem cell characteristics and the ciliary epithelium from the adult human eye,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 852–861, 2011.
- B. Bhatia, S. Singhal, H. Jayaram, P. T. Khaw, and G. A. Limb, “Adult retinal stem cells revisited,” Open Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 4, pp. 30–38, 2010.
- B. Bhatia, S. Singhal, J. M. Lawrence, P. T. Khaw, and G. A. Limb, “Distribution of Müller stem cells within the neural retina: evidence for the existence of a ciliary margin-like zone in the adult human eye,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 373–382, 2009.
- J. M. Lawrence, S. Singhal, B. Bhatia et al., “MIO-M1 cells and similar Müller glial cell lines derived from adult human retina exhibit neural stem cell characteristics,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2033–2043, 2007.
- E. Salero, T. A. Blenkinsop, B. Corneo et al., “Adult human RPE can be activated into a multipotent stem cell that produces mesenchymal derivatives,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2012.
- D. Lamba, M. Karl, and T. Reh, “Neural regeneration and cell replacement: a view from the eye,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 538–549, 2008.
- M. Perron and W. A. Harris, “Retinal stem cells in vertebrates,” Bioessays, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 685–688, 2000.
- I. Ahmad, L. Tang, and H. Pham, “Identification of neural progenitors in the adult mammalian eye,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 270, no. 2, pp. 517–521, 2000.
- V. Tropepe, B. L. K. Coles, B. J. Chiasson et al., “Retinal stem cells in the adult mammalian eye,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5460, pp. 2032–2036, 2000.
- F. H. Gage, “Mammalian neural stem cells,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5457, pp. 1433–1438, 2000.
- L. P. Deleyrolle and B. A. Reynolds, “Isolation, expansion, and differentiation of adult mammalian neural stem and progenitor cells using the neurosphere assay,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 549, pp. 91–101, 2009.
- B. A. Reynolds and S. Weiss, “Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system,” Science, vol. 255, no. 5052, pp. 1707–1710, 1992.
- J. B. Jensen and M. Parmar, “Strengths and limitations of the neurosphere culture system,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 153–161, 2006.
- Y. Arsenijevic, J. Villemure, J. Brunet et al., “Isolation of multipotent neural precursors residing in the cortex of the adult human brain,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 48–62, 2001.
- V. G. Kukekov, E. D. Laywell, O. Suslov et al., “Multipotent stem/progenitor cells with similar properties arise from neurogenic regions of adult human brain,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 333–344, 1999.
- E. D. Laywell, P. Rakic, V. G. Kukekov, E. C. Holland, and D. A. Steindler, “Identification of a multipotent astrocytic stem cell in the immature and adult mouse brain,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 25, pp. 13883–13888, 2000.
- D. T. Scadden, “The stem-cell niche as an entity of action,” Nature, vol. 441, no. 7097, pp. 1075–1079, 2006.
- R. Kohno, Y. Ikeda, Y. Yonemitsu et al., “Sphere formation of ocular epithelial cells in the ciliary body is a reprogramming system for neural differentiation,” Brain Research, vol. 1093, no. 1, pp. 54–70, 2006.
- I. Singec, R. Knoth, R. P. Meyer et al., “Defining the actual sensitivity and specificity of the neurosphere assay in stem cell biology,” Nature Methods, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 801–806, 2006.
- S. A. Cicero, D. Johnson, S. Reyntjens et al., “Cells previously identified as retinal stem cells are pigmented ciliary epithelial cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 6685–6690, 2009.
- B. L. K. Coles, B. Angénieux, T. Inoue et al., “Facile isolation and the characterization of human retinal stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 44, pp. 15772–15777, 2004.
- E. J. Mayer, D. A. Carter, Y. Ren et al., “Neural progenitor cells from postmortem adult human retina,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 102–106, 2005.
- D. A. Carter, E. J. Mayer, and A. D. Dick, “The effect of postmortem time, donor age and sex on the generation of neurospheres from adult human retina,” The British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 1216–1218, 2007.
- H. Xu, D. D. Sta Iglesia, J. L. Kielczewski et al., “Characteristics of progenitor cells derived from adult ciliary body in mouse, rat, and human eyes,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1674–1682, 2007.
- T. A. Reh, “Neural stem cells: form and function,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 392–394, 2002.
- R. C. Frøen, E. O. Johnsen, G. Petrovski et al., “Pigment epithelial cells isolated from human peripheral iridectomies have limited properties of retinal stem cells,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. e635–e644, 2011.
- E. O. Johnsen, R. C. Frøen, R. Albert et al., “Activation of neural progenitor cells in human eyes with proliferative vitreoretinopathy,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2012.
- M. C. Moe, R. S. Kolberg, C. Sandberg et al., “A comparison of epithelial and neural properties in progenitor cells derived from the adult human ciliary body and brain,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 30–38, 2009.
- S. Gualdoni, M. Baron, J. Lakowski et al., “Adult ciliary epithelial cells, previously identified as retinal stem cells with potential for retinal repair, fail to differentiate into new rod photoreceptors,” Stem Cells, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1048–1059, 2010.
- B. G. Ballios, L. Clarke, B. L. Coles, M. S. Shoichet, and D. van der Kooy, “The adult retinal stem cell is a rare cell in the ciliary epithelium whose progeny can differentiate into photoreceptors,” Biology Open, vol. 1, pp. 237–246, 2012.
- A. V. Das, J. James, J. Rahnenführer et al., “Retinal properties and potential of the adult mammalian ciliary epithelium stem cells,” Vision Research, vol. 45, no. 13, pp. 1653–1666, 2005.
- A. MacNeil, R. A. Pearson, R. E. MacLaren, A. J. Smith, J. C. Sowden, and R. R. Ali, “Comparative analysis of progenitor cells isolated from the iris, pars plana, and ciliary body of the adult porcine eye,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2430–2438, 2007.
- M. C. Moe, M. Varghese, A. I. Danilov et al., “Multipotent progenitor cells from the adult human brain: neurophysiological differentiation to mature neurons,” Brain, vol. 128, no. 9, pp. 2189–2199, 2005.
- T. Inoue, B. L. K. Coles, K. I. M. Dorval et al., “Maximizing functional photoreceptor differentiation from adult human retinal stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 489–500, 2010.
- S. Jasty, P. Srinivasan, G. Pasricha, N. Chatterjee, and K. Subramanian, “Gene expression profiles and retinal potential of stem/progenitor cells derived from human iris and ciliary pigment epithelium,” Stem Cell Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1163–1177, 2012.
- Y. Ducournau, C. Boscher, R. A. Adelman et al., “Proliferation of the ciliary epithelium with retinal neuronal and photoreceptor cell differentiation in human eyes with retinal detachment and proliferative vitreoretinopathy,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 250, no. 3, pp. 409–423, 2012.
- M. Tomita, Y. Adachi, H. Yamada et al., “Bone marrow-derived stem cells can differentiate into retinal cells in injured rat retina,” Stem Cells, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 279–283, 2002.
- C. Boscher, Y. Ducournau, R. A. Adelman, C. Guillaubey, and D. Ducournau, “Retinal progenitor cells contingents in the adult human eye with retinal injury: a specific differentiation potential according to the localization?” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 105, pp. 79–80, 2012.