- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 540239, 7 pages
A Phytase Characterized by Relatively High pH Tolerance and Thermostability from the Shiitake Mushroom Lentinus edodes
1College of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Beijing University of Agriculture, Beijing 102206, China
2State Key Laboratory of Agro-Biotechnology and MOA Key Laboratory of Soil Microbiology, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
3School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Received 25 November 2012; Revised 31 January 2013; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Chiu-Chung Young
Copyright © 2013 Guo-Qing Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Kumar, A. K. Sinha, H. P. S. Makkar, and K. Becker, “Dietary roles of phytate and phytase in human nutrition: a review,” Food Chemistry, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 945–959, 2010.
- G. Q. Zhang, X. F. Dong, Z. H. Wang, Q. Zhang, H. X. Wang, and J. M. Tong, “Purification, characterization, and cloning of a novel phytase with low pH optimum and strong proteolysis resistance from Aspergillus ficuum NTG-23,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4125–4131, 2010.
- H. Luo, H. Huang, P. Yang et al., “A novel phytase appA from Citrobacter amalonaticus CGMCC 1696: gene cloning and overexpression in Pichia pastoris,” Current Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2007.
- V. Raboy, “myo-Inositol-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexakisphosphate,” Phytochemistry, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1033–1043, 2003.
- X. G. Lei and J. M. Porres, “Phytase enzymology, applications, and biotechnology,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 1787–1794, 2003.
- S. Haefner, A. Knietsch, E. Scholten, J. Braun, M. Lohscheidt, and O. Zelder, “Biotechnological production and applications of phytases,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 588–597, 2005.
- U. Suzuki, K. Yoshimura, and M. Takaishi, “About the enzyme “phytase”, which splits ‘‘anhydro-oxy-methylene diphosphoric acid,” Bulletin of the College of Agriculture, Tokyo Imperial University, vol. 7, pp. 503–512, 1907.
- E. J. Mullaney, C. B. Daly, and A. H. J. Ullah, “Advances in phytase research,” Advances in Applied Microbiology, vol. 47, pp. 157–199, 2000.
- A. Pandey, G. Szakacs, C. R. Soccol, J. A. Rodriguez-Leon, and V. T. Soccol, “Production, purification and properties of microbial phytases,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 203–214, 2001.
- A. Vohra and T. Satyanarayana, “Phytases: microbial sources, production, purification, and potential biotechnological applications,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 29–60, 2003.
- P. H. Abelson, “A potential phosphate crisis,” Science, vol. 283, no. 5410, p. 2015, 1999.
- G. Y. Yoo, X. Wang, S. Choi, K. Han, J. C. Kang, and S. C. Bai, “Dietary microbial phytase increased the phosphorus digestibility in juvenile Korean rockfish Sebastes schlegeli fed diets containing soybean meal,” Aquaculture, vol. 243, no. 1–4, pp. 315–322, 2005.
- L. G. Da Silva, L. C. Trugo, S. Da Costa Terzi, and S. Couri, “Low phytate lupin flour based biomass obtained by fermentation with a mutant of Aspergillus niger,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 951–954, 2005.
- O. M. Tsivileva, V. E. Nikitina, and E. A. Loshchinina, “Isolation and characterization of Lentinus edodes (Berk.) singer extracellular lectins,” Biochemistry, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1154–1161, 2008.
- P. V. Jeurink, C. L. Noguera, H. F. J. Savelkoul, and H. J. Wichers, “Immunomodulatory capacity of fungal proteins on the cytokine production of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1124–1133, 2008.
- V. P. Rincao, K. A. Yamamoto, N. M. Ricardo et al., “Polysaccharide and extracts from Lentinula edodes: structural features and antiviral activity,” Virology Journal, vol. 9, article 37, 2012.
- E. Harlow and D. Lane, “Bradford assay,” CSH Protocols, vol. 2006, no. 6, 2006.
- M. J. Zhu, H. X. Wang, and T. B. Ng, “Purification and identification of a phytase from fruity bodies of the winter mushroom, Flammulina velutipes,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 77, pp. 17845–17852, 2011.
- L. Xu, G. Zhang, H. Wang, and T. B. Ng, “Purification and characterization of phytase with a wide pH adaptation from common edible mushroom Volvariella volvacea (Straw mushroom),” Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2012.
- A. H. Ullah, “Aspergillus ficuum phytase: partial primary structure, substrate selectivity, and kinetic characterization,” Preparative Biochemistry, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 459–471, 1988.
- A. H. Ullah and D. M. Gibson, “Extracellular phytase (E.C. 220.127.116.11) from Aspergillus ficuum NRRL 3135: purification and characterization,” Preparative Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 63–91, 1987.
- A. H. J. Ullah and B. Q. Phillippy, “Substrate selectivity in Aspergillus ficuum phytase and acid phosphatases using myo-inositol phosphates,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 423–425, 1994.
- U. K. Laemmli and M. Favre, “Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 575–599, 1973.
- P. S. Bisen, R. K. Baghel, B. S. Sanodiya, G. S. Thakur, and G. B. K. S. Prasad, “Lentinus edodes: a macrofungus with pharmacological activities,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 2419–2430, 2010.
- W. Breene, “Nutritional and medicinal value of specialty mushrooms,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 883–994, 1990.
- B. C. Oh, W. C. Choi, S. Park, Y. O. Kim, and T. K. Oh, “Biochemical properties and substrate specificities of alkaline and histidine acid phytases,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 362–372, 2004.
- P. D. Collopy and D. J. Royse, “Characterization of phytase activity from cultivated edible mushrooms and their production substrates,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 25, pp. 7518–7524, 2004.
- L. Segueilha, C. Lambrechts, H. Boze, G. Moulin, and P. Galzy, “Purification and properties of the Phytase from Schwanniomyces castellii,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 1992.
- C. S. Quan, W. J. Tian, S. D. Fan, and J. I. Kikuchi, “Purification and properties of a low-molecular-weight phytase from Cladosporium sp. FP-1,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 260–266, 2004.
- A. Casey and G. Walsh, “Purification and characterization of extracellular phytase from Aspergillus niger ATCC 9142,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2003.
- L. Escobin-Mopera, M. Ohtani, S. Sekiguchi et al., “Purification and characterization of phytase from Klebsiella pneumoniae 9-3B,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 562–567, 2012.
- C. S. Quan, S. D. Fan, L. H. Zhang, Y. J. Wang, and Y. Ohta, “Purification and properties of a phytase from Candida krusei WZ-001,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 419–425, 2002.
- Y. O. Kim, H. K. Kim, K. S. Bae, J. H. Yu, and T. K. Oh, “Purification and properties of a thermostable phytase from Bacillus sp. DS11,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 2–7, 1998.
- M. Wyss, R. Brugger, A. Kronenberger et al., “Biochemical characterization of fungal phytases (myo-inositol hexakisphosphate phosphohydrolases): catalytic properties,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 367–373, 1999.