- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 543294, 12 pages
Development of a Generic Microfluidic Device for Simultaneous Detection of Antibodies and Nucleic Acids in Oral Fluids
1Rheonix, Inc., Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
2Department of Basic Science and Craniofacial Biology, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY 10010, USA
3Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Leiden University Medical Center, Building 2, S-01-030, P.O. Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
4Department of Chemistry, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
5Department of Medicine, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Received 19 October 2012; Accepted 30 December 2012
Academic Editor: Joy Scaria
Copyright © 2013 Zongyuan Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. B. Hutchinson, G. Corbie-Smith, S. B. Thomas, S. Mohanan, and C. Del Rio, “Understanding the patient's perspective on rapid and routine HIV testing in an inner-city urgent care center,” AIDS Education and Prevention, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 2004.
- A. B. Hutchinson, B. M. Branson, A. Kim, and P. G. Farnham, “A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of alternative HIV counseling and testing methods to increase knowledge of HIV status,” AIDS, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1597–1604, 2006.
- J. Pavie, A. Rachline, B. Loze et al., “Sensitivity of five rapid HIV tests on oral fluid or Finger-Stick whole blood: a real-time comparison in a healthcare setting,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 7, Article ID e11581, 2010.
- T. C. Granade, B. S. Parekh, P. M. Tih et al., “Evaluation of rapid prenatal human immunodeficiency virus testing in rural Cameroon,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 855–860, 2005.
- D. Malamud, W. R. Abrams, H. Bau et al., “Oral-based techniques for the diagnosis of infectious diseases,” Journal of the California Dental Association, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 297–301, 2006.
- C. D. Chin, T. Laksanasopin, Y. K. Cheung et al., “Microfluidics-based diagnostics of infectious diseases in the developing world,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1015–1019, 2011.
- S. E. McCalla and A. Tripathi, “Microfluidic reactors for diagnostics applications,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 13, pp. 321–343, 2011.
- P. L. A. M. Corstjens, Z. Chen, M. Zuiderwijk et al., “Rapid assay format for multiplex detection of humoral immune responses to infectious disease pathogens (HIV, HCV, and TB),” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1098, pp. 437–445, 2007.
- S. Park, Y. Zhang, S. Lin, T.-H. Wang, and S. Yang, “Advances in microfluidic PCR for point-of-care infectious disease diagnostics,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 830–839, 2011.
- R. Cuchacovich, “Clinical applications of the polymerase chain reaction: an update,” Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 735–758, 2006.
- A. Niemz, T. M. Ferguson, and D. S. Boyle, “Point-of-care nucleic acid testing for infectious diseases,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 240–250, 2011.
- J. R. Krogmeier, I. Schaefer, G. Seward, G. R. Yantz, and J. W. Larson, “An integrated optics microfluidic device for detecting single DNA molecules,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1767–1774, 2007.
- J. S. Marcus, W. F. Anderson, and S. R. Quake, “Parallel picoliter RT-PCR assays using microfluidics,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 956–958, 2006.
- C. J. Easley, J. M. Karlinsey, J. M. Bienvenue et al., “A fully integrated microfluidic genetic analysis system with sample-in-answer-out capability,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 51, pp. 19272–19277, 2006.
- J. Kim, M. Johnson, P. Hill, and B. K. Gale, “Microfluidic sample preparation: cell lysis and nucleic acid purification,” Integrative Biology, vol. 1, no. 10, pp. 574–586, 2009.
- C. W. Price, D. C. Leslie, and J. P. Landers, “Nucleic acid extraction techniques and application to the microchip,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 9, no. 17, pp. 2484–2494, 2009.
- C. A. Holland and F. L. Kiechle, “Point-of-care molecular diagnostic systems—Past, present and future,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 504–509, 2005.
- P. Zhou, L. Young, and Z. Chen, “Weak solvent based chip lamination and characterization of on-chip valve and pump,” Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 821–832, 2010.
- G. Spizz, L. Young, R. Yasmin et al., “Rheonix CARD technology: an innovative and fully automated molecular diagnostic device,” Point of Care, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2012.
- C. Holm-Hansen, G. Tong, C. Davis, W. R. Abrams, and D. Malamud, “Comparison of oral fluid collectors for use in a rapid point-of-care diagnostic device,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 909–912, 2004.
- N. L. Michael, S. A. Herman, S. Kwok et al., “Development of calibrated viral load standards for group M subtypes of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and performance of an improved AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR test with isolates of diverse subtypes,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 2557–2563, 1999.
- R. S. Niedbala, H. Feindt, K. Kardos et al., “Detection of analytes by immunoassay using Up-Converting Phosphor Technology,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2001.
- P. Corstjens, M. Zuiderwijk, A. Brink et al., “Use of up-converting phosphor reporters in lateral-flow assays to detect specific nucleic acid sequences: a rapid, sensitive DNA test to identify human papillomavirus type 16 infection,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 1885–1893, 2001.
- P. Zhou and L. C. Young, Laminated Microfluidic Structures and Medthod for Making, U.S. Patent, Rheonix, ithaca, NY, USA, 2009.
- T. S. Liang, E. Erbelding, C. A. Jacob et al., “Rapid HIV testing of clients of a mobile STD/HIV clinic,” AIDS Patient Care and STDs, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 253–257, 2005.
- D. Malamud, H. Bau, S. Niedbala, and P. Corstjens, “Point detection of pathogens in oral samples,” Advances in Dental Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 12–16, 2005.
- C. Liu, X. Qiu, S. Ongagna et al., “A timer-actuated immunoassay cassette for detecting molecular markers in oral fluids,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 768–776, 2009.
- S. J. Wu, S. Pal, S. Ekanayake et al., “A dry-format field-deployable quantitative reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assay for diagnosis of dengue infections,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 505–510, 2008.
- B. Lu, R. P. Viscidi, J. H. Lee et al., “Human Papillomavirus (HPV) 6, 11, 16, and 18 seroprevalence is associated with sexual practice and age: results from the multinational HPV infection in men study (HIM study),” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 990–1002, 2011.
- S. Desai, R. Chapman, M. Jit et al., “Prevalence of human papillomavirus antibodies in males and females in England,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 622–629, 2011.
- M. Jentschke, P. Soergel, V. Lange et al., “Evaluation of a new multiplex real-time polymerase chain reaction assay for the detection of human papillomavirus infections in a referral population,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1050–1056, 2012.
- R. Howell-Jones, N. de Silva, M. Akpan et al., “Prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infections in sexually active adolescents and young women in England, prior to widespread HPV immunisation,” Vaccine, vol. 30, no. 26, pp. 3867–3875, 2012.
- N. G. Campos, J. J. Kim, P. E. Castle et al., “Health and economic impact of HPV 16/18 vaccination and cervical cancer screening in Eastern Africa,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 11, pp. 2672–2684, 2012.
- R. J. ten Hove, J. J. Verweij, K. Vereecken, K. Polman, L. Dieye, and L. van Lieshout, “Multiplex real-time PCR for the detection and quantification of Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium infection in stool samples collected in northern Senegal,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2008.
- P. L. A. M. Corstjens, L. Van Lieshout, M. Zuiderwijk et al., “Up-converting phosphor technology-based lateral flow assay for detection of Schistosoma circulating anodic antigen in serum,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 171–176, 2008.
- H. Smith, M. Doenhoff, C. Aitken et al., “Comparison of Schistosoma mansoni soluble cercarial antigens and soluble egg antigens for serodiagnosing schistosome infections,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e1815, 2012.
- J. Albert and E. M. Fenyo, “Simple, sensitive, and specific detection of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in clinical specimens by polymerase chain reaction with nested primers,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1560–1564, 1990.
- M. K. Hourfar, U. Michelsen, M. Schmidt, A. Berger, E. Seifried, and W. K. Roth, “High-throughput purification of viral RNA based on novel aqueous chemistry for nucleic acid isolation,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1217–1222, 2005.