- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 546727, 10 pages
Development of an Ammonium Sulfate DNA Extraction Method for Obtaining Amplifiable DNA in a Small Number of Cells and Its Application to Clinical Specimens
1Department of Animal Biotechnology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University, 1 Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 143-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Pathology, Konkuk University School of Medicine, 1 Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 143-701, Republic of Korea
Received 4 January 2013; Revised 11 March 2013; Accepted 11 March 2013
Academic Editor: Gjumrakch Aliev
Copyright © 2013 Seo Young Oh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Salto-Tellez and E. S. C. Koay, “Molecular diagnostic cytopathology: definitions, scope and clinical utility,” Cytopathology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 252–255, 2004.
- A. M. Bofin, B. Ytterhus, C. Martin, J. J. O'Leary, and B. M. Hagmar, “Detection and quantitation of HER-2 gene amplification and protein expression in breast carcinoma,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 110–119, 2004.
- C. Isaacs, L. R. Cavalli, Y. Cohen et al., “Detection of LOH and mitochondrial DNA alterations in ductal lavage and nipple aspirate fluids from high-risk patients,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2004.
- H. A. Phillips, G. C. W. Howard, and W. R. Miller, “Pilot studies on the p53 gene in nipple aspirate fluid from patients with breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 139–143, 2000.
- M. Kersting, C. Friedl, A. Kraus, M. Behn, W. Pankow, and M. Schuermann, “Differential frequencies of p16(INK4a) promoter hypermethylation, p53 mutation, and K-ras mutation in exfoliative material mark the development of lung cancer in symptomatic chronic smokers,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 3221–3229, 2000.
- A. H. Walker, D. Najarian, D. L. White, J. M. Jaffe, P. A. Kanetsky, and T. R. Rebbeck, “Collection of genomic DNA by buccal swabs for polymerase chain reaction-based biomarker assays,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 517–520, 1999.
- D. Seripa, P. Parrella, M. Gallucci et al., “Sensitive detection of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder by microsatellite analysis of cells exfoliated in urine,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 95, pp. 364–569, 2001.
- D. M. Euhus, L. Cler, N. Shivapurkar et al., “Loss of Heterozygosity in benign breast epithelium in relation to breast cancer risk,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 858–860, 2002.
- D. Bu, C. Lewis, L. Cler, and K. Elias, “Comparative real-time PCR for the detection of c-Myc, cyclin D1 and Her-2/neu gene amplification in breast fine needle aspirates,” American Association for Cancer Research, 2003.
- S. S. Wang, K. Thornton, A. M. Kuhn, J. G. Nadeau, and T. J. Hellyer, “Homogeneous real-time detection of single-nucleotide polymorphisms by strand displacement amplification on the BD ProbeTec ET system,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1599–1607, 2003.
- L. F. Zhang, W. M. Gao, R. Gealy et al., “Comparison of K-ras gene mutations in tumour and sputum DNA of patients with lung cancer,” Biomarkers, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 156–161, 2003.
- H. A. Phillips, G. C. W. Howard, and W. R. Miller, “p53 mutations as a marker of malignancy in bladder washing samples from patients with bladder cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 136–141, 2000.
- C. M. Lewis, L. R. Cler, D. W. Bu et al., “Promoter hypermethylation in benign breast epithelium in relation to predicted breast cancer risk,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 166–172, 2005.
- L. Cler, D. Bu, C. Lewis, and D. Euhus, “A comparison of five methods for extracting DNA from paucicellular clinical samples,” Molecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 191–196, 2006.
- R. A. H. van Oorschot, K. N. Ballantyne, and R. J. Mitchell, “Forensic trace DNA: a review,” Investigative Genetics, vol. 1, no. 1, article 14, 2010.
- X. Wang, T. Sawaguchi, Y. Fukushima, and A. Sawaguchi, “Analysis of DNA formalin fixed and paraffin embedded tissues,” Research and Practice in Forensic Medicine, vol. 43, pp. 81–884, 2000.
- J. V. Timothy, N. B. Kaye, R. John Mitchell, and Roland A. H. van Oorschot, “The pinpoint DNA isolation system as a novel DNA sampling method in forensic biology,” Forensic Science International, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. e91–e92, 2011.
- P. J. Paterson, S. Seaton, J. McLaughlin, and C. C. Kibbler, “Development of molecular methods for the identification of Aspergillus and emerging moulds in paraffin wax embedded tissue sections,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, pp. 368–3370, 2003.
- N. Vandenberg, R. A. H. van Oorschot, and R. J. Mitchell, “An evaluation of selected DNA extraction strategies for short tandem repeat typing,” Electrophoresis, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1624–1626, 1997.
- O. P. Popa, D. Murariu, and L. O. Popa, “Comparison of four DNA extraction method from invasive freshwater bivalve species (mollusca: bivalvia) in Romanian fauna,” Travaux du Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle “Grigore Antipa”, vol. L, pp. 527–5536, 2007.
- P. Daneshwar, S. U. Shahnoo, and S. Khoyratty, “Genomic DNA extraction from Victoria amazonica,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, vol. 22, pp. 195a–195j, 2004.
- T. S. Hwang, “Molecular biologic techniques in cytopathologic diagnosis,” Korean Journal of Pathology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 387–392, 2009.
- S. K. Kim, D. L. Kim, H. S. Han et al., “Pyrosequencing analysis for detection of a BRAFV600E mutation in an FNAB specimen of thyroid nodules,” Diagnostic Molecular Pathology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 118–125, 2008.
- L. Zhang, T. Kirchhoff, C. J. Yee, and K. Offit, “A rapid and reliable test for BRCA1 and BRCA2 founder mutation analysis in paraffin tissue using pyrosequencing,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 176–181, 2009.
- J. A. Glasel, “Validity of nucleic acid purities monitored by 260 nm/280 nm absorbance ratios,” BioTechniques, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 62–63, 1995.
- R. Aplenc, E. Orudjev, J. Swoyer, B. Manke, and T. Rebbeck, “Differential bone marrow aspirate DNA yields from commercial extraction kits,” Leukemia, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1865–1866, 2002.
- F. S. Baechtel, “The extraction, purification and quantification of DNA,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Forensic Aspects of DNA Analysis, pp. 25–28, United States Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 1989.
- H. Cabral, M. T. Ruiz, C. M. A. Ruiz Carareto, and G. O. Bonilla-Rodriguez, “A plant proteinase, extracted from Bromelia fastuosa, as an alternative to proteinase K for DNA extraction,” Drosophila Information Service, vol. 83, pp. 178–185, 2000.
- S. R. Shi, R. J. Cote, L. Wu et al., “DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections based on the antigen retrieval principle: heating under the influence of pH,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1005–1011, 2002.
- S. K. Banerjee, W. F. Makdisi, A. P. Weston, S. M. Mitchell, and D. R. Campbell, “Microwave-based DNA extraction from paraffin-embedded tissue for PCR amplification,” BioTechniques, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 768–773, 1995.