- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 548497, 9 pages
Sperm Impairment by Sperm Agglutinating Factor Isolated from Escherichia coli: Receptor Specific Interactions
Department of Microbiology, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Thomas Griffith
Copyright © 2013 Kiranjeet Kaur and Vijay Prabha. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Moretti, S. Capitani, N. Figura et al., “The presence of bacteria species in semen and sperm quality,” Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 47–56, 2009.
- D. Sanoka, M. Fraczek, P. Jedrzejezak, et al., “Male genital tract infection: an influence of leukocytes and bacteria on semen,” Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 111–124, 2004.
- K. A. Cunningham and K. W. Beagley, “Male genital tract chlamydial infection: implications for pathology and infertility,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 180–189, 2008.
- M. Golshani, S. Taheri, G. Eslami, A. A. Suleimani Rahbar, F. Fallah, and H. Goudarzi, “Genital tract infection in asymptomatic infertile men and its effect on semen quality,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 81–84, 2006.
- T. Diemer, M. Ludwig, P. Huwe, D. B. Hales, and W. Weidner, “Influence of urogenital infection on sperm function,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 2000.
- M. Monga and J. A. Roberts, “Spermagglutination by bacteria: receptor-specific interactions,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 1994.
- V. Prabha, N. Thakur, S. Kaur, N. Kaur, A. Singh, and S. Kala, “Agglutination of human spermatozoa due to human semen culture bacterial isolates bearing sperm ligand,” American Journal of Biomedical Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 126–132, 2009.
- K. Kaur, S. Kaur, P. Rishi, S. K. Singh, and V. Prabha, “Evidence for the occurrence of receptor in sperm for spermagglutinating factor isolated from Escherichia coli,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 34, pp. 207–209, 2012.
- World Health Organization (WHO), A Laboratory Manual For the Examination and Processing of Human Semen, WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland, 5th edition, 2010.
- J. B. CHAPPELL, “The effect of alkylguanidines on mitochondrial metabolism,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 238, pp. 410–417, 1963.
- A. Boyce, A. Casey, and G. Walsh, “A phytase enzyme-based biochemistry practical particularly suited to students undertaking courses in biotechnology and environmental science,” Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 336–340, 2004.
- S. J. Martin, C. P. M. Reutelingsperger, A. J. McGahon et al., “Early redistribution of plasma membrane phosphatidylserine is a general feature of apoptosis regardless of the initiating stimulus: inhibition by overexpression of Bcl-2 and Abl,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 182, no. 5, pp. 1545–1556, 1995.
- F. M. Flesch and B. M. Gadella, “Dynamics of the mammalian sperm plasma membrane in the process of fertilization,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1469, no. 3, pp. 197–235, 2000.
- A. Quinn, M. F. McInerney, and E. E. Sercarz, “MHC class I-restricted determinants on the glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 molecule induce spontaneous CTL activity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 1748–1757, 2001.
- I. R. Gibbons, “The biochemistry of motility,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 37, pp. 521–546, 1968.
- N. K. Duru, M. Morshedi, A. Schuffner, and S. Oehninger, “Cryopreservation-thawing of fractionated human spermatozoa and plasma membrane translocation of phosphatidylserine,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 263–268, 2001.
- J. C. Y. Ching, N. L. Jones, P. J. M. Ceponis, M. A. Karmali, and P. M. Sherman, “Escherichia coli Shiga-like toxins induce apoptosis and cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase via in vitro activation of caspases,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 4669–4677, 2002.
- F. Gorga, M. Galdiero, E. Buommino, and E. Galdiero, “Porins and lipopolysaccharide induce apoptosis in human spermatozoa,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 206–208, 2001.
- L. M. Schwartz and J. D. Ashwell, Apoptosis, vol. 66, Academic press, New York, NY, USA, 2001.