- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 549498, 11 pages
Photosensitizer Adhered to Cell Culture Microplates Induces Phototoxicity in Carcinoma Cells
1Laboratory of Photodynamic Inactivation of Microorganisms, Department of Materials Science and Physics, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstraße 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
2Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstraße 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
3Department of Internal Medicine I, Paracelsus Medical University and Salzburger Landeskliniken (SALK), Muellner Hauptstrasse 48, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
4Institute of Pathology, Paracelsus Medical University and Salzburger Landeskliniken (SALK), Muellner Hauptstrasse 48, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Received 3 September 2012; Accepted 9 October 2012
Academic Editor: Tim Maisch
Copyright © 2013 Verena Ziegler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Agostinis, K. Berg, K. A. Cengel et al., “Photodynamic therapy of cancer: an update,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 250–281, 2011.
- D. Fayter, M. Corbett, M. Heirs, D. Fox, and A. Eastwood, “A systematic review of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of precancerous skin conditions, Barrett's oesophagus and cancers of the biliary tract, brain, head and neck, lung, oesophagus and skin,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 14, no. 37, pp. 1–288, 2010.
- C. A. Robertson, D. H. Evans, and H. Abrahamse, “Photodynamic therapy (PDT): a short review on cellular mechanisms and cancer research applications for PDT,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- K. Plaetzer, B. Krammer, J. Berlanda, F. Berr, and T. Kiesslich, “Photophysics and photochemistry of photodynamic therapy: fundamental aspects,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 259–268, 2009.
- M. R. Hamblin and T. Hasan, “Photodynamic therapy: a new antimicrobial approach to infectious disease?” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 436–450, 2004.
- T. Maisch, C. Bosl, R. M. Szeimies, B. Love, and C. Abels, “Determination of the antibacterial efficacy of a new porphyrin-based photosensitizer against MRSA ex vivo,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 545–551, 2007.
- V. Engelhardt, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Antibacterial photodynamic therapy using water-soluble formulations of hypericin or mTHPC is effective in inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 365–369, 2010.
- V. Engelhardt, T. Kiesslich, J. Berlanda, S. Hofbauer, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Lipophilic rather than hydrophilic photosensitizers show strong adherence to standard cell culture microplates under cell-free conditions,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 222–229, 2011.
- E. Blake, J. Allen, and A. Curnow, “An in vitro comparison of the effects of the iron-chelating agents, CP94 and dexrazoxane, on protoporphyrin IX accumulation for photodynamic therapy and/or fluorescence guided resection,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1419–1426, 2011.
- S. Saggu, H.-I. Hung, G. Quiogue, J. J. Lemasters, and A.-L. Nieminen, “Lysosomal signaling enhances mitochondria-mediated photodynamic therapy in a431 cancer cells: role of iron,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 461–468, 2012.
- J. Berlanda, T. Kiesslich, V. Engelhardt, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Comparative in vitro study on the characteristics of different photosensitizers employed in PDT,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- H. Falk, “From the photosensitizer hypericin to the photoreceptor stentorin—the chemistry of phenantroperylene quinones,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 38, no. 21, pp. 3117–3136, 1999.
- A. Kubin, H. G. Loew, U. Burner, G. Jessner, H. Kolbabek, and F. Wierrani, “How to make hypericin water-soluble,” Pharmazie, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 263–269, 2008.
- A. Pieslinger, K. Plaetzer, C. B. Oberdanner et al., “Characterization of a simple and homogeneous irradiation device based on light-emitting diodes: a possible low-cost supplement to conventional light sources for photodynamic treatment,” Medical Laser Application, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2006.
- J. O'Brien, I. Wilson, T. Orton, and F. Pognan, “Investigation of the Alamar Blue (resazurin) fluorescent dye for the assessment of mammalian cell cytotoxicity,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 267, no. 17, pp. 5421–5426, 2000.
- J. Berlanda, T. Kiesslich, C. B. Oberdanner, F. J. Obermair, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Characterization of apoptosis induced by photodynamic treatment with hypericin in A431 human epidermoid carcinoma cells,” Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology, vol. 25, no. 1-2, pp. 173–188, 2006.
- T. Kiesslich, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Cellular mechanisms and prospective applications of hypericin in photodynamic therapy,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 18, pp. 2189–2204, 2006.