- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 549737, 10 pages
Identification and Biotechnological Application of Novel Regulatory Genes Involved in Streptomyces Polyketide Overproduction through Reverse Engineering Strategy
Department of Biological Engineering, Inha University, Incheon 402-751, Republic of Korea
Received 13 November 2012; Revised 15 December 2012; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Sofiane Ghorbel
Copyright © 2013 Ji-Hye Nah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Baltz, “Molecular engineering approaches to peptide, polyketide and other antibiotics,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1533–1540, 2006.
- D. A. Hopwood, “Soil to genomics: the Streptomyces chromosome,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 40, pp. 1–23, 2006.
- M. J. Bibb, “Regulation of secondary metabolism in streptomycetes,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 208–215, 2005.
- C. Khosla, “Structures and mechanisms of polyketide synthases,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 17, pp. 6416–6420, 2009.
- L. Katz and S. Donadio, “Polyketide synthesis: prospects for hybrid antibiotics,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 47, pp. 875–912, 1993.
- C. Hertweck, A. Luzhetskyy, Y. Rebets, and A. Bechthold, “Type II polyketide synthases: gaining a deeper insight into enzymatic teamwork,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 162–190, 2007.
- K. Watanabe, A. P. Praseuth, and C. C. Wang, “A comprehensive and engaging overview of the type III family of polyketide synthases,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2007.
- H. G. Floss, “Combinatorial biosynthesis-Potential and problems,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 242–257, 2006.
- S. H. Kang, J. Huang, H. N. Lee, Y. A. Hur, S. N. Cohen, and E. S. Kim, “Interspecies DNA microarray analysis identifies wblA as a pleiotropic down-regulator of antibiotic biosynthesis in Streptomyces,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 189, no. 11, pp. 4315–4319, 2007.
- J. H. Noh, S. H. Kim, H. N. Lee, S. Y. Lee, and E. S. Kim, “Isolation and genetic manipulation of the antibiotic down-regulatory gene, wblA ortholog for doxorubicin-producing Streptomyces strain improvement,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1145–1153, 2010.
- J. H. Nah, S. H. Park, H. M. Yoon, S. S. Choi, C. H. Lee, and E. S. Kim, “Identification and characterization of wblA-dependent tmcT regulation during tautomycetin biosynthesis in Streptomyces sp. CK4412,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 202–209, 2012.
- H. Ikeda, J. Ishikawa, A. Hanamoto et al., “Complete genome sequence and comparative analysis of the industrial microorganism Streptomyces avermitilis,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 526–531, 2003.
- Y. Ohnishi, J. Ishikawa, H. Hara et al., “Genome sequence of the streptomycin-producing microorganism Streptomyces griseus IFO 13350,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 190, no. 11, pp. 4050–4060, 2008.
- M. H. Medema, A. Trefzer, A. Kovalchuk, M. van den Berg, U. Muller, W. Heijne, et al., “The sequence of a 1.8-mb bacterial linear plasmid reveals a rich evolutionary reservoir of secondary metabolic pathways,” Genome Biology and Evolution, vol. 2, pp. 212–224, 2010.
- M. Rabyk, B. Ostash, Y. Rebets, S. Walker, and V. Fedorenko, “Streptomyces ghanaensis pleiotropic regulatory gene wblAgh influences morphogenesis and moenomycin production,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2481–2486, 2011.
- D. J. Wilson, Y. Xue, K. A. Reynolds, and D. H. Sherman, “Characterization and analysis of the pikD regulatory factor in the pikromycin biosynthetic pathway of Streptomyces venezuelae,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 11, pp. 3468–3475, 2001.
- E. J. Lee, N. Karoonuthaisiri, H. S. Kim et al., “A master regulator σB governs osmotic and oxidative response as well as differentiation via a network of sigma factors in Streptomyces coelicolor,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1252–1264, 2005.
- G. P. Van Wezel and K. J. McDowall, “The regulation of the secondary metabolism of Streptomyces: new links and experimental advances,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1311–1333, 2011.
- F. Lombó, A. F. Braña, C. Méndez, and J. A. Salas, “The mithramycin gene cluster of Streptomyces argillaceus contains a positive regulatory gene and two repeated DNA sequences that are located at both ends of the cluster,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 642–647, 1999.
- L. Retzlaff and J. Distler, “The regulator of streptomycin gene expression, StrR, of Streptomyces griseus is a DNA binding activator protein with multiple recognition sites,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 151–162, 1995.
- L. Tang, A. Grimm, Y. X. Zhang, and C. R. Hutchinson, “Purification and characterization of the DNA-binding protein Dnrl, a transcriptional factor of daunorubicin biosynthesis in Streptomyces peucetius,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 801–813, 1996.
- P. Arias, M. A. Fernández-Moreno, and F. Malpartida, “Characterization of the pathway-specific positive transcriptional regulator for actinorhodin biosynthesis in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) as a DNA-binding protein,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 181, no. 22, pp. 6958–6968, 1999.
- A. Wietzorrek and M. Bibb, “A novel family of proteins that regulates antibiotic production in Streptomycetes appears to contain an OmpR-like DNA-binding fold,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1181–1184, 1997.
- S. D. Bentley, K. F. Chater, A. M. Cerdeno-Tarraga, G. L. Challis, N. R. Thomson, K. D. James, et al., “Complete genome sequence of the model actinomycete Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2),” Nature, vol. 417, no. 6885, pp. 141–147, 2002.
- J. Huang, C. J. Lih, K. H. Pan, and S. N. Cohen, “Global analysis of growth phase responsive gene expression and regulation of antibiotic biosynthetic pathways in Streptomyces coelicolor using DNA microarrays,” Genes and Development, vol. 15, no. 23, pp. 3183–3192, 2001.
- A. M. Lum, J. Huang, C. R. Hutchinson, and C. M. Kao, “Reverse engineering of industrial pharmaceutical-producing actinomycete strains using DNA microarrays,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 186–196, 2004.
- W. Lian, K. P. Jayapal, S. Charaniya et al., “Genome-wide transcriptome analysis reveals that a pleiotropic antibiotic regulator, AfsS, modulates nutritional stress response in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2),” BMC Genomics, vol. 9, article 56, 2008.
- J. R. Yang, E. Song, B. G. Kim, E. S. Kim, J. K. Sohng, and M. K. Oh, “Expression profiling of Streptomyces peucetius metabolic genes using DNA microarray analysis,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 738–744, 2008.
- K. Ochi and T. Hosaka, “New strategies for drug discovery: activation of silent or weakly expressed microbial gene clusters,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 87–98, 2013.
- L. Laureti, L. Song, S. Huang et al., “Identification of a bioactive 51-membered macrolide complex by activation of a silent polyketide synthase in Streptomyces ambofaciens,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 15, pp. 6258–6263, 2011.
- A. Craney, C. Ozimok, S. M. Pimentel-Elardo, A. Capretta, and J. R. Nodwell, “Chemical perturbation of secondary metabolism demonstrates important links to primary metabolism,” Chemistry & Biology, vol. 19, pp. 1020–1027, 2012.
- P. Jakimowicz, M. R. Cheesman, W. R. Bishai, K. F. Chater, A. J. Thomson, and M. J. Buttner, “Evidence that the Streptomyces developmental protein WhiD, a member of the WhiB family, binds a [4Fe-4S] cluster,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 9, pp. 8309–8315, 2005.
- J. A. Soliveri, J. Gomez, W. R. Bishai, and K. F. Chater, “Multiple paralogous genes related to the Streptomyces coelicolor developmental regulatory gene whiB are present in Streptomyces and other Actinomycetes,” Microbiology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 333–343, 2000.
- K. Fowler-Goldsworthy, B. Gust, S. Mouz, G. Chandra, K. C. Findlay, and K. F. Chater, “The actinobacteria-specific gene wblA controls major developmental transitions in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2),” Microbiology, vol. 157, no. 5, pp. 1312–1328, 2011.
- J. S. Kim, H. N. Lee, P. Kim, H. S. Lee, and E. S. Kim, “Negative role of wblA in response to oxidative stress in Streptomyces coelicolor,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 736–741, 2012.
- H. N. Lee, J. Huang, J. H. Im et al., “Putative TetR family transcriptional regulator SCO1712 encodes an antibiotic downregulator in Streptomyces coelicolor,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 3039–3043, 2010.
- N. P. Niraula, S. H. Kim, J. K. Sohng, and E. S. Kim, “Biotechnological doxorubicin production: pathway and regulation engineering of strains for enhanced production,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1187–1194, 2010.
- S. S. Choi, Y. A. Hur, D. H. Sherman, and E. S. Kim, “Isolation of the biosynthetic gene cluster for tautomycetin, a linear polyketide T cell-specific immunomodulator from Streptomyces sp. CK4412,” Microbiology, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 1095–1102, 2007.
- X. C. Cheng, T. Kihara, X. Ying, et al., “A new antibiotic, tautomycetin,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 141–144, 1989.
- J. H. Shim, H. K. Lee, E. J. Chang et al., “Immunosuppressive effects of tautomycetin in vivo and in vitro via T cell-specific apoptosis induction,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 16, pp. 10617–10622, 2002.
- J. H. Lee, J. S. Lee, S. E. Kim et al., “Tautomycetin inhibits growth of colorectal cancer cells through p21cip/WAF1 induction via the extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 3222–3231, 2006.
- S. H. Kim, H. N. Lee, H. J. Kim, and E. S. Kim, “Transcriptome analysis of an antibiotic downregulator mutant and synergistic actinorhodin stimulation via disruption of a precursor flux regulator in Streptomyces coelicolor,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1872–1877, 2011.
- I. Borodina, J. Siebring, J. Zhang et al., “Antibiotic overproduction in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) mediated by phosphofructokinase deletion,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 37, pp. 25186–25199, 2008.
- J. P. Gomez-Escribano and M. J. Bibb, “Engineering Streptomyces coelicolor for heterologous expression of secondary metabolite gene clusters,” Microbial Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 207–215, 2011.
- R. H. Baltz, “Streptomyces and Saccharopolyspora hosts for heterologous expression of secondary metabolite gene clusters,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 759–772, 2010.
- M. Komatsu, T. Uchiyama, S. Omura, D. E. Cane, and H. Ikeda, “Genome-minimized Streptomyces host for the heterologous expression of secondary metabolism,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 2646–2651, 2010.
- H. N. Lee, H. J. Kim, P. Kim, H. S. Lee, and E. S. Kim, “Minimal polyketide pathway expression in an actinorhodin cluster-deleted and regulation-stimulated Streptomyces coelicolor,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 805–811, 2012.
- E. S. Kim, K. D. Cramer, A. L. Shreve, and D. H. Sherman, “Heterologous expression of an engineered biosynthetic pathway: functional dissection of type II polyketide synthase components in Streptomyces species,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 1202–1207, 1995.