- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 563651, 10 pages
Development of Bioadhesive Chitosan Superporous Hydrogel Composite Particles Based Intestinal Drug Delivery System
1Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Shri Sarvajanik Pharmacy College, Gujarat Technological University, Mehsana, Gujarat 384 001, India
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Shri Sarvajanik Pharmacy College, Gujarat Technological University, Mehsana, Gujarat 384 001, India
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 3 June 2013; Accepted 25 June 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Sonvico
Copyright © 2013 Hitesh Chavda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Chen and K. Park, “Synthesis and characterization of superporous hydrogel composites,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 73–82, 2000.
- H. V. Chavda and C. N. Patel, “Preparation and characterization of swellable polymer-based superporous hydrogel composite of poly (acrylamide-co-acrylic acid),” Trends in Biomaterials and Artificial Organs, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 83–89, 2010.
- J. Chen, H. Park, and K. Park, “Synthesis of superporous hydrogels: hydrogels with fast swelling and superabsorbent properties,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 1999.
- W. N. E. van Dijk-Wolthuis, S. K. Y. Tsang, J. J. Kettenes-van den Bosch, and W. E. Hennink, “A new class of polymerizable dextrans with hydrolyzable groups: hydroxyethyl methacrylated dextran with and without oligolactate spacer,” Polymer, vol. 38, no. 25, pp. 6235–6242, 1997.
- C. Peniche, M. E. Cohen, B. Vázquez, and J. San Román, “Water sorption of flexible networks based on 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate-triethylenglycol dimethacrylate copolymers,” Polymer, vol. 38, no. 24, pp. 5977–5982, 1997.
- M. V. Badiger, M. E. McNeill, and N. B. Graham, “Porogens in the preparation of microporous hydrogels based on poly(ethylene oxides),” Biomaterials, vol. 14, no. 14, pp. 1059–1063, 1993.
- Y. M. Lee and S. S. Kim, “Hydrogels of poly(ethylene glycol)-co-poly(lactones) diacrylate macromers and β-chitin,” Polymer, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 2415–2420, 1997.
- C. Satish, K. Satish, and H. Shivakumar, “Hydrogels as controlled drug delivery systems: synthesis, crosslinking, water and drug transport mechanism,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 2006.
- H. Omidian, K. Park, and J. G. Rocca, “Recent developments in superporous hydrogels,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 317–327, 2007.
- F. A. Dorkoosh, J. C. Verhoef, G. Borchard, M. Rafiee-Tehrani, and H. E. Junginger, “Development and characterization of a novel peroral peptide drug delivery system,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 307–318, 2001.
- F. A. Dorkoosh, J. C. Verhoef, J. H. M. Verheijden, M. Rafiee-Tehrani, G. Borchard, and H. E. Junginger, “Peroral absorption of octreotide in pigs formulated in delivery systems on the basis of superporous hydrogel polymers,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1532–1536, 2002.
- L. Illum, “Chitosan and its use as a pharmaceutical excipient,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1326–1331, 1998.
- S. S. Davis, “The use of soluble polymers and polymer microparticles to provide improved vaccine responses after parenteral and mucosal delivery,” Vaccine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. S7–S10, 2006.
- A. M. M. Sadeghi, M. R. Avadi, S. Ejtemaimehr et al., “Development of a Gas Empowered Drug Delivery system for peptide delivery in the small intestine,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2009.
- T. Gafourian, A. Safari, K. Adibkia, F. Parviz, and A. Nokhodchi, “A drug release study from hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (HPMC) matrices using QSPR modeling,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 3334–3351, 2007.
- J. K. Vasir, K. Tambwekar, and S. Garg, “Bioadhesive microspheres as a controlled drug delivery system,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 255, no. 1-2, pp. 13–32, 2003.
- J. K. Patel, “Bioadhesive microspheres: a review,” Pharmaceutical Reviews, vol. 4, no. 6, 12 pages, 2006.
- K. P. Chowdary and Y. S. Rao, “Design and in vitro and in vivo evaluation of mucoadhesive microcapsules of glipizide for oral controlled release: a technical note,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 87–92, 2003.
- M. N. Kumar, K. A. Chowdary, B. K. Pani, and N. Kumar, “Design and characterization of mucoadhesive microcapsules of metoprolol succinate,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 53–57, 2010.
- F. A. Dorkoosh, D. Setyaningsih, G. Borchard, M. Rafiee-Tehrani, J. C. Verhoef, and H. E. Junginger, “Effects of superporous hydrogels on paracellular drug permeability and cytotoxicity studies in Caco-2 cell monolayers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 2002.
- L. Yin, X. Zhao, L. Cui et al., “Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of superporous hydrogel containing interpenetrating polymer networks,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1139–1145, 2009.
- C. Tang, L. Yin, J. Yu, C. Yin, and Y. Pei, “Swelling behavior and biocompatibility of carbopol-containing superporous hydrogel composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 2785–2791, 2007.
- M. V. Risbud and R. R. Bhonde, “Polyacrylamide-chitosan hydrogels: in vitro biocompatibility and sustained antibiotic release studies,” Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 69–75, 2000.
- “Metoprolol,,” Drug Bank, Drug Bank ID: DB00264 [serial on the Internet], November 2012, http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00264/.
- P. Costa and J. M. Sousa Lobo, “Modeling and comparison of dissolution profiles,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 123–133, 2001.
- T. Higuchi, “Mechanism of sustained action mediation, theoretical analysis of rate of release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 1145–1149, 1963.
- A. W. Hixson and J. H. Crowell, “Dependence of reaction velocity upon surface and agitation,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, vol. 23, pp. 923–931, 1931.
- R. W. Korsmeyer, R. Gurny, E. Doelker, P. Buri, and N. A. Peppas, “Mechanisms of solute release from porous hydrophilic polymers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 1983.