- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 563756, 7 pages
Monounsaturated Fatty Acids Are Substrates for Aldehyde Generation in Tellurite-Exposed Escherichia coli
1Laboratorio de Microbiología Molecular, Departamento de Biología, Facultad de Química y Biología, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile
2Laboratorio de Microbiología y Bionanotecnología, Facultad de Ciencias Químicas y Farmacéuticas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile
3Laboratorio de Bionanotecnología y Microbiología, Centro de Bioinformática y Biología Integrativa (CBIB), Facultad de Ciencias Biológicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Santiago de Chile, Chile
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 9 July 2013
Academic Editor: Kota V. Ramana
Copyright © 2013 Gonzalo A. Pradenas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Rai, T. D. Cole, D. E. Wemmer, and S. Linn, “Localization of Fe2+ at an RTGR sequence within a DNA duplex explains preferential cleavage by Fe2+ and H2O2,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 312, no. 5, pp. 1089–1101, 2001.
- E. R. Stadtman, “Protein oxidation and aging,” Free Radical Research, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1250–1258, 2006.
- N. Ercal, H. Gurer-Orhan, and N. Aykin-Burns, “Toxic metals and oxidative stress part I: mechanisms involved in metal-induced oxidative damage,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 529–539, 2001.
- D. Bagchi, S. J. Stohs, B. W. Downs, M. Bagchi, and H. G. Preuss, “Cytotoxicity and oxidative mechanisms of different forms of chromium,” Toxicology, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 5–22, 2002.
- J. M. Pérez, I. L. Calderón, F. A. Arenas, et al., “Bacterial toxicity of potassium tellurite: unveiling an ancient enigma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 2, p. e211, 2007.
- J. A. Imlay, “Pathways of oxidative damage,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 57, pp. 395–418, 2003.
- J. M. Slauch, “How does the oxidative burst of macrophages kill bacteria? Still an open question,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 580–583, 2011.
- H. Esterbauer, R. J. Schaur, and H. Zollner, “Chemistry and Biochemistry of 4-hydroxynonenal, malonaldehyde and related aldehydes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 81–128, 1991.
- A. Marr and J. Ingraham, “Effect of temperature on the composition of fatty acids in Escherichia coli,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1260–1267, 1962.
- A. Loidl-Stahlhofen and G. Spiteller, “α-Hydroxyaldehydes, products of lipid peroxidation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1211, no. 2, pp. 156–160, 1994.
- A. Loidl-Stahlhofen, W. Kern, and G. Spiteller, “Gas chromatographic-electron impact mass spectrometric screening procedure for unknown hydroxyaldehydic lipid peroxidation products after pentafluorobenzyloxime derivatization,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 673, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1995.
- J.-F. Rontani, “Photodegradation of unsaturated fatty acids in senescent cells of phytoplankton: photoproduct structural identification and mechanistic aspects,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 1998.
- G. A. Pradenas, B. A. Paillavil, S. Reyes-Cerpa, J. M. Pérez-Donoso, and C. C. Vásquez, “Reduction of the monounsaturated fatty acid content of Escherichia coli results in increased resistance to oxidative damage,” Microbiology, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 1279–1283, 2012.
- H. J. Vogel and D. M. Bonner, “Acetylornithinase of Escherichia coli: partial purification and some properties,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 97–106, 1956.
- N. Masaki, M. E. Kyle, and J. L. Farber, “tert-Butyl hydroperoxide kills cultured hepatocytes by peroxidizing membrane lipids,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 390–399, 1989.
- H. Semchyshyn, T. Bagnyukova, K. Storey, and V. Lushchak, “Hydrogen peroxide increases the activities of soxRS regulon enzymes and the levels of oxidized proteins and lipids in Escherichia coli,” Cell Biology International, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 898–902, 2005.
- N. P. Contreras and C. C. Vásquez, “Tellurite-induced carbonylation of the Escherichia coli pyruvate dehydrogenase multienzyme complex,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 192, no. 11, pp. 969–973, 2010.
- G. D. Johnson, “Correlation of color and constitution. I. 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazones,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 2720–2723, 1953.
- M. K. Cha, W. C. Kim, C. J. Lim, K. Kim, and I. Kim, “Escherichia coli periplasmic thiol peroxidase acts as lipid hydroperoxide peroxidase and the principal antioxidative function during anaerobic growth,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 10, pp. 8769–8778, 2004.
- M. Lovell and W. Markesbery, “Analysis of aldehydic markers of lipid peroxidation in biological tissues by HPLC with fluorescence detection,” in Methods in Biological Oxidative Stress, K. Hensley and R. A. Floyd, Eds., Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology Series, pp. 17–21, Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, USA, 2003.
- J. M. Pérez, F. A. Arenas, G. A. Pradenas, J. M. Sandoval, and C. C. Vásquez, “Escherichia coli YqhD exhibits aldehyde reductase activity and protects from the harmful effect of lipid peroxidation-derived aldehydes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 12, pp. 7346–7353, 2008.
- D. P. Clark, D. DeMendoza, M. L. Polacco, and J. E. Cronan Jr., “β-Hydroxydecanoyl thio ester dehydrase does not catalyze a rate-limiting step in Escherichia coli unsaturated fatty acid synthesis,” Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 25, pp. 5897–5902, 1983.
- D. W. Grogan and J. E. Cronan, “Cyclopropane ring formation in membrane lipids of bacteria,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 429–441, 1997.
- K. Magnuson, S. Jackowski, C. O. Rock, and J. E. Cronan Jr., “Regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis in Escherichia coli,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 522–542, 1993.
- E. R. Stadtman and R. L. Levine, “Protein oxidation,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 899, pp. 191–208, 2000.
- L. J. Yan, “Analysis of oxidative modification of proteins, chapter 14, unit 14.4,” Current Protocols in Protein Science, 2009.
- S. M. Trutko, V. K. Akimenko, N. E. Suzina et al., “Involvement of the respiratory chain of gram-negative bacteria in the reduction of tellurite,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 178–186, 2000.
- P. C. Burcham and F. Fontaine, “Extensive protein carbonylation precedes acrolein-mediated cell death in mouse hepatocytes,” Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 309–316, 2001.
- S. Pesakhov, R. Benisty, N. Sikron et al., “Effect of hydrogen peroxide production and the Fenton reaction on membrane composition of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1768, no. 3, pp. 590–597, 2007.
- F. A. Arenas, W. A. Díaz, C. A. Leal, J. M. Pérez-Donoso, J. A. Imlay, and C. C. Vásquez, “The Escherichia coli btuE gene, encodes a glutathione peroxidase that is induced under oxidative stress conditions,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 398, no. 4, pp. 690–694, 2010.
- P. Echave, J. Tamarit, E. Cabiscol, and J. Ros, “Novel antioxidant role of alcohol dehydrogenase E from Escherichia coli,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 32, pp. 30193–30198, 2003.
- R. T. Holman, “Autoxidation of fats and related substances,” Progress in the Chemistry of Fats and Other Lipids C, vol. 2, pp. 51–98, 1954.