- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 564804, 13 pages
Suitability of Cell-Based Label-Free Detection for Cytotoxicity Screening of Carbon Nanotubes
1Center for Medical Research, Medical University of Graz, 8010 Graz, Austria
2Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karl-Franzens-University of Graz, 8010 Graz, Austria
Received 27 May 2013; Revised 31 October 2013; Accepted 1 November 2013
Academic Editor: M. Piacentini
Copyright © 2013 Claudia Meindl et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Belyanskaya, P. Manser, P. Spohn, A. Bruinink, and P. Wick, “The reliability and limits of the MTT reduction assay for carbon nanotubes-cell interaction,” Carbon, vol. 45, no. 13, pp. 2643–2648, 2007.
- M. Davoren, E. Herzog, A. Casey et al., “In vitro toxicity evaluation of single walled carbon nanotubes on human A549 lung cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 438–448, 2007.
- H. Isobe, T. Tanaka, R. Maeda et al., “Preparation, purification, characterization, and cytotoxicity assessment of water-soluble, transition-metal-free carbon nanotube aggregates,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 45, no. 40, pp. 6676–6680, 2006.
- N. A. Monteiro-Riviere, A. O. Inman, and L. W. Zhang, “Limitations and relative utility of screening assays to assess engineered nanoparticle toxicity in a human cell line,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 234, no. 2, pp. 222–235, 2009.
- J. Cveticanin, G. Joksic, A. Leskovac, S. Petrovic, A. V. Sobot, and O. Neskovic, “Using carbon nanotubes to induce micronuclei and double strand breaks of the DNA in human cells,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, Article ID 015102, 2010.
- A. Casey, E. Herzog, M. Davoren, F. M. Lyng, H. J. Byrne, and G. Chambers, “Spectroscopic analysis confirms the interactions between single walled carbon nanotubes and various dyes commonly used to assess cytotoxicity,” Carbon, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1425–1432, 2007.
- X. Chen, C. Deng, S. Tang, and M. Zhang, “Mitochondria-dependent apoptosis induced by nanoscale hydroxyapatite in human gastric cancer SGC-7901 cells,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 128–132, 2007.
- C. A. Sabatini, R. V. Pereira, and M. H. Gehlen, “Fluorescence modulation of acridine and coumarin dyes by silver nanoparticles,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 377–382, 2007.
- R. H. Hurt, M. Monthioux, and A. Kane, “Toxicology of carbon nanomaterials: status, trends, and perspectives on the special issue,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1028–1033, 2006.
- M. A. Hasnat, M. M. Uddin, A. J. F. Samed, S. S. Alam, and S. Hossain, “Adsorption and photocatalytic decolorization of a synthetic dye erythrosine on anatase TiO2 and ZnO surfaces,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 471–477, 2007.
- S. H. Doak, S. M. Griffiths, B. Manshian et al., “Confounding experimental considerations in nanogenotoxicology,” Mutagenesis, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 285–293, 2009.
- R. C. Murdock, L. Braydich-Stolle, A. M. Schrand, J. J. Schlager, and S. M. Hussain, “Characterization of nanomaterial dispersion in solution prior to in vitro exposure using dynamic light scattering technique,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 239–253, 2008.
- M. Gonzales, L. M. Mitsumori, J. V. Kushleika, M. E. Rosenfeld, and K. M. Krishnan, “Cytotoxicity of iron oxide nanoparticles made from the thermal decomposition of organometallics and aqueous phase transfer with Pluronic F127,” Contrast Media and Molecular Imaging, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 286–293, 2010.
- J. M. Wörle-Knirsch, K. Pulskamp, and H. F. Krug, “Oops they did it again! Carbon nanotubes hoax scientists in viability assays,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1261–1268, 2006.
- E. Fröhlich, C. Meindl, A. Höfler, G. Leitinger, and E. Roblegg, “Combination of small size and carboxyl functionalisation causes cytotoxicity of short carbon nanotubes,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 7, pp. 1211–1224, 2013.
- B. Xi, N. Yu, X. Wang, X. Xu, and Y. A. Abassi, “The application of cell-based label-free technology in drug discovery,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 484–495, 2008.
- F. Hajighasemi and N. Kakadezfuli, “Sensitivity of monocytic cell lines to verapamil in vitro,” Research Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 209–214, 2012.
- S. Liu, L. Xu, T. Zhang, G. Ren, and Z. Yang, “Oxidative stress and apoptosis induced by nanosized titanium dioxide in PC12 cells,” Toxicology, vol. 267, no. 1–3, pp. 172–177, 2010.
- G. M. Williams and M. J. Iatropoulos, “Alteration of liver cell function and proliferation: differentiation between adaptation and toxicity,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 41–53, 2002.
- S. G. Mukherjee, N. O'Claonadh, A. Casey, and G. Chambers, “Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity study of silver nanoparticle on two mammalian cell lines,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 238–251, 2012.
- J. M. Seiffert, M.-O. Baradez, V. Nischwitz, T. Lekishvili, H. Goenaga-Infante, and D. Marshall, “Dynamic monitoring of metal oxide nanoparticle toxicity by label free impedance sensing,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 140–152, 2012.
- J. A. Sergent, V. Paget, and S. Chevillard, “Toxicity and genotoxicity of nano-SiO2 on human epithelial intestinal HT-29 cell line,” Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 622–630, 2012.
- P. D. Caie, R. E. Walls, A. Ingleston-Orme et al., “High-content phenotypic profiling of drug response signatures across distinct cancer cells,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1913–1926, 2010.
- G. F. Ma, Q. Miao, X. Q. Zeng, et al., “Transforming growth factor-beta1 and -beta2 in gastric precancer and cancer and roles in tumor-cell interactions with peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro,” PloS ONE, vol. 8, no. 1, Article ID e54249, 2013.
- S. Spulber, K. Edoff, L. Hong, et al., “Molecular hydrogen reduces LPS-induced neuroinflammation and promotes recovery from sickness behaviour in mice,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID e42078, 2012.
- V. Talman, R. K. Tuominen, G. B. af Gennäs, J. Yli-Kauhaluoma, and E. Ekokoski, “C1 domain-targeted isophthalate derivatives induce cell elongation and cell cycle arrest in HeLa cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20053, 2011.
- C. Danussi, A. Petrucco, B. Wassermann et al., “EMILIN1-α4/α9 integrin interaction inhibits dermal fibroblast and keratinocyte proliferation,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 131–145, 2011.
- S. Rahim and A. Üren, “A real-time electrical impedance based technique to measure invasion of endothelial cell monolayer by cancer cells,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, no. 50, Article ID e2792, 2011.
- G. X. Mao, L. D. Zheng, Y. B. Cao, et al., “Antiaging effect of pine pollen in human diploid fibroblasts and in a mouse model induced by D-galactose,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2012, Article ID 750963, 10 pages, 2012.
- B. C. Heng, X. Zhao, S. Xiong, K. W. Ng, F. Y.-C. Boey, and J. S.-C. Loo, “Cytotoxicity of zinc oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles is influenced by cell density and culture format,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 695–704, 2011.
- R. L. Persinger, W. M. Blay, N. H. Heintz, D. R. Hemenway, and Y. M. W. Janssen-Heininger, “Nitrogen dioxide induces death in lung epithelial cells in a density-dependent manner,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 583–590, 2001.
- N. Ke, X. Wang, X. Xu, and Y. A. Abassi, “The xCELLigence system for real-time and label-free monitoring of cell viability,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 740, pp. 33–43, 2011.
- F. A. Atienzar, K. Tilmant, H. H. Gerets et al., “The use of real-time cell analyzer technology in drug discovery: defining optimal cell culture conditions and assay reproducibility with different adherent cellular models,” Journal of Biomolecular Screening, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 575–587, 2011.
- H. Yang, Q. Wu, M. Tang et al., “In vitro study of silica nanoparticle-lnduced cytotoxicity based on real-time cell electronic sensing system,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 561–568, 2010.
- L. Otero-Gonzalez, R. Sierra-Alvarez, S. Boitano, and J. A. Field, “Application and validation of an impedance-based real time cell analyzer to measure the toxicity of nanoparticles impacting human bronchial epithelial cells,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 46, no. 18, pp. 10271–10278, 2012.
- H. Benachour, T. Bastogne, M. Toussaint, et al., “Real-time monitoring of photocytotoxicity in nanoparticles-based photodynamic therapy: a model-based approach,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 11, Article ID e48617, 2012.
- N. H. Pipalia, A. Huang, H. Ralph, M. Rujoi, and F. R. Maxfield, “Automated microscopy screening for compounds that partially revert cholesterol accumulation in Niemann-Pick C cells,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 284–301, 2006.
- B. Gopinath and N. Shanth, “Automated segmentation of ELA cancer cells in microscopic images for evaluating the cytotoxic effect of selected medicinal plants,” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 279–286, 2012.
- M. Athelogou, M. Eblenkamp, G. Schmidt, et al., “Image analysis for calculation of the toxicity degree of cells,” in Phase Contrast Microscopy Images, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- P. C. Naha, M. Davoren, F. M. Lyng, and H. J. Byrne, “Reactive oxygen species (ROS) induced cytokine production and cytotoxicity of PAMAM dendrimers in J774A.1 cells,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 246, no. 1-2, pp. 91–99, 2010.
- J. Nellore, P. C. Pauline, and K. Amarnath, “Biogenic synthesis by Sphearanthus amaranthoids; towards the efficient production of the biocompatible gold nanoparticles,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 123–133, 2012.
- M. P. Casado, A. Macken, and H. J. Byrne, “Ecotoxicological assessment of silica and polystyrene nanoparticles assessed by a multitrophic test battery,” Environment International, vol. 51, pp. 97–105, 2013.
- B. Díaz, C. Sánchez-Espinel, M. Arruebo et al., “Assessing methods for blood cell cytotoxic responses to inorganic nanoparticles and nanoparticle aggregates,” Small, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 2025–2034, 2008.
- M. Mrakovcic, M. Absenger, R. Riedl, E. Roblegg, and E. Fröhlich, “Assessment of long-term effects of nanoparticles in a MiCROCARRIER cell culture system,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, Article ID e56791, 2013.