- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 565287, 5 pages
Synergistic Effects of Secretory Phospholipase A2 from the Venom of Agkistrodon piscivorus piscivorus with Cancer Chemotherapeutic Agents
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Received 20 July 2012; Accepted 15 August 2012
Academic Editor: Luis A. Ponce Soto
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer Nelson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Maraganore, G. Merutka, and W. Cho, “A new class of phospholipases A2 with lysine in place of aspartate 49. Functional consequences for calcium and substrate binding,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 259, no. 22, pp. 13839–13843, 1984.
- H. A. Wilson, W. Huang, J. B. Waldrip, A. M. Judd, L. P. Vernon, and J. D. Bell, “Mechanisms by which thionin induces susceptibility of S49 cell membranes to extracellular phospholipase A2,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1349, no. 2, pp. 142–156, 1997.
- R. W. Bailey, T. Nguyen, L. Robertson et al., “Sequence of physical changes to the cell membrane during glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis in S49 lymphoma cells,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 2709–2718, 2009.
- R. W. Bailey, E. D. Olson, M. P. Vu et al., “Relationship between membrane physical properties and secretory phospholipase A2 hydrolysis kinetics in S49 cells during ionophore-induced apoptosis,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2350–2362, 2007.
- W. Stillwell, S. R. Wassall, A. C. Dumaual, W. D. Ehringer, C. W. Browning, and L. J. Jenski, “Use of merocyanine (MC540) in quantifying lipid domains and packing in phospholipid vesicles and tumor cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1146, no. 1, pp. 136–144, 1993.
- P. Williamson, K. Mattocks, and R. A. Schlegel, “Merocyanine 540, a fluorescent probe sensitive to lipid packing,” BBA - Biomembranes, vol. 732, no. 2, pp. 387–393, 1983.
- E. Gibbons, K. R. Pickett, M. C. Streeter et al., “Molecular details of membrane fluidity changes during apoptosis and relationship to phospholipase A2 activity,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. In press.
- J. Nelson, L. L. Francom, L. Anderson et al., “Investigation into the role of phosphatidylserine in modifying the susceptibility of human lymphocytes to secretory phospholipase A 2 using cells deficient in the expression of scramblase,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1818, no. 5, pp. 1196–1204, 2012.
- J. Nelson, E. Gibbons, K. R. Pickett et al., “Relationship between membrane permeability and specificity of human secretory phospholipase A2 isoforms during cell death,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1808, no. 7, pp. 1913–1920, 2011.
- F. M. Harris, S. K. Smith, and J. D. Bell, “Physical properties of erythrocyte ghosts that determine susceptibility to secretory phospholipase A2,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 25, pp. 22722–22731, 2001.
- S. K. Smith, A. R. Farnbach, F. M. Harris et al., “Mechanisms by which intracellular calcium induces susceptibility to secretory phospholipase A2 in human erythrocytes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 25, pp. 22732–22741, 2001.
- L. B. Jensen, N. K. Burgess, D. D. Gonda et al., “Mechanisms governing the level of susceptibility of erythrocyte membranes to secretory phospholipase A2,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 2692–2705, 2005.
- F. B. Chekeni, M. R. Elliott, J. K. Sandilos et al., “Pannexin 1 channels mediate 'find-me' signal release and membrane permeability during apoptosis,” Nature, vol. 467, no. 7317, pp. 863–867, 2010.
- C. Ferraro, L. Quemeneur, A. F. Prigent, C. Taverne, J. P. Revillard, and N. Bonnefoy-Berard, “Anthracyclines trigger apoptosis of both G0-G1 and cycling peripheral blood lymphocytes and induce massive deletion of mature T and B cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 1901–1907, 2000.
- S. Herman, N. Zurgil, and M. Deutsch, “Low dose methotrexate induces apoptosis with reactive oxygen species involvement in T lymphocytic cell lines to a greater extent than in monocytic lines,” Inflammation Research, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 273–280, 2005.
- F. Brisdelli, E. Iorio, A. Knijn et al., “Two-step formation of 1H NMR visible mobile lipids during apoptosis of paclitaxel-treated K562 cells,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1271–1280, 2003.
- W. Li and J. F. Tait, “Regulatory effect of CD9 on calcium-stimulated phosphatidylserine exposure in Jurkat T lymphocytes,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 351, no. 1, pp. 89–95, 1998.
- R. Karthikeyan, S. Karthigayan, M. Sri Balasubashini, S. Vijayalakshmi, S. T. Somasundaram, and T. Balasubramanian, “Antitumor effect of snake venom (Hydrophis spiralis) on Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma bearing mice,” International Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 167–173, 2007.
- M. F. El-Refael and N. H. Sarkar, “Snake venom inhibits the growth of mouse mammary tumor cells in vitro and in vivo,” Toxicon, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2009.
- J. Jiang, B. L. Neubauer, J. R. Graff et al., “Expression of group IIA secretory phospholipase A2 is elevated in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and adenocarcinoma,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 667–671, 2002.
- K. Murata, H. Egami, H. Kiyohara, S. Oshima, T. Kurizaki, and M. Ogawa, “Expression of group-II phospholipase A2 in malignant and non-malignant human gastric mucosa,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 103–111, 1993.
- S. I. Yamashita, J. I. Yamashita, K. Sakamoto et al., “Increased expression of membrane-associated phospholipase A2 shows malignant potential of human breast cancer cells,” Cancer, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 3058–3064, 1993.
- H. Kiyohara, H. Egami, H. Kako et al., “Immunohistochemical localization of group II phospholipase A2 in human pancreatic carcinomas,” International Journal of Pancreatology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 1993.
- J. R. Graff, B. W. Konicek, J. A. Deddens et al., “Expression of group IIa secretory phospholipase A2 increases with prostate tumor grade,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 3857–3861, 2001.
- C. M. Mounier, D. Wendum, E. Greenspan, J. F. Fléjou, D. W. Rosenberg, and G. Lambeau, “Distinct expression pattern of the full set of secreted phospholipases A2 in human colorectal adenocarcinomas: SPLA2-III as a biomarker candidate,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 587–595, 2008.
- T. Mirtti, V. J. O. Laine, H. Hiekkanen et al., “Group IIA phospholipase A2 as a prognostic marker in prostate cancer: relevance to clinicopathological variables and disease-specific mortality,” APMIS, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 151–161, 2009.
- G. Zhu, J. N. Mock, I. Aljuffali, B. S. Cummings, and R. D. Arnold, “Secretory phospholipase A2 responsive liposomes,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 3146–3159, 2011.
- T. Kaasgaard, T. L. Andresen, S. S. Jensen, R. O. Holte, L. T. Jensen, and K. Jørgensen, “Liposomes containing alkylated methotrexate analogues for phospholipase A2 mediated tumor targeted drug delivery,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 94–103, 2009.
- K. Jorgensen, J. Davidsen, and O. G. Mouritsen, “Biophysical mechanisms of phospholipase A2 activation and their use in liposome-based drug delivery,” FEBS Letters, vol. 531, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2002.
- G. I. Atsumi, M. Murakami, M. Tajima, S. Shimbara, N. Hara, and I. Kudo, “The perturbed membrane of cells undergoing apoptosis is susceptible to type II secretory phospholipase A2 to liberate arachidonic acid,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1349, no. 1, pp. 43–54, 1997.
- K. H. Nielson, C. A. Olsen, D. V. Allred, K. L. O'Neill, G. F. Burton, and J. D. Bell, “Susceptibility of S49 lymphoma cell membranes to hydrolysis by secretory phospholipase A2 during early phase of apoptosis,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1484, no. 2-3, pp. 163–174, 2000.