- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 565431, 15 pages
Sensitivity of Rabbit Ventricular Action Potential and Ca2+ Dynamics to Small Variations in Membrane Currents and Ion Diffusion Coefficients
1Department of Bioengineering, PFBH 241, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0412, USA
2Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Received 28 April 2013; Accepted 19 August 2013
Academic Editor: Jeffrey J. Saucerman
Copyright © 2013 Yuan Hung Lo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. R. Shannon, F. Wang, J. Puglisi, C. Weber, and D. M. Bers, “A mathematical treatment of integrated Ca dynamics within the ventricular myocyte,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 3351–3371, 2004.
- T. R. Shannon, F. Wang, and D. M. Bers, “Regulation of cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca release by luminal [Ca] and altered gating assessed with a mathematical model,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 4096–4110, 2005.
- J. L. Puglisi and D. M. Bers, “LabHEART: an interactive computer model of rabbit ventricular myocyte ion channels and Ca transport,” American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology, vol. 281, no. 6, pp. C2049–C2060, 2001.
- A. Mahajan, Y. Shiferaw, D. Sato et al., “A rabbit ventricular action potential model replicating cardiac dynamics at rapid heart rates,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 392–410, 2008.
- A. Mahajan, D. Sato, Y. Shiferaw et al., “Modifying L-type calcium current kinetics: consequences for cardiac excitation and arrhythmia dynamics,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 411–423, 2008.
- O. V. Aslanidi, R. N. Sleiman, M. R. Boyett, J. C. Hancox, and H. Zhang, “Ionic mechanisms for electrical heterogeneity between rabbit purkinje fiber and ventricular cells,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 2420–2431, 2010.
- S. Morotti, E. Grandi, A. Summa, K. S. Ginsburg, and D. M. Bers, “Theoretical study of L-type Ca2+ current inactivation kinetics during action potential repolarization and early afterdepolarizations,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 590, part 18, pp. 4465–4481, 2012.
- M. S. Jafri, J. J. Rice, and R. L. Winslow, “Cardiac Ca2+ dynamics: the roles of ryanodine receptor adaptation and sarcoplasmic reticulum load,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 1149–1168, 1998.
- L. Romero, B. Carbonell, B. Trenor, B. Rodríguez, J. Saiz, and J. M. Ferrero, “Systematic characterization of the ionic basis of rabbit cellular electrophysiology using two ventricular models,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 60–73, 2011.
- M. B. Cannell and D. G. Allen, “Model of calcium movements during activation in the sarcomere of frog skeletal muscle,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 913–925, 1984.
- G. A. Langer and A. Peskoff, “Calcium concentration and movement in the diadic cleft space of the cardiac ventricular cell,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 1169–1182, 1996.
- A. Michailova, F. DelPrincipe, M. Egger, and E. Niggli, “Spatiotemporal features of Ca2+ buffering and diffusion in atrial cardiac myocytes with inhibited sarcoplasmic reticulum,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 3134–3151, 2002.
- S. Lu, A. Michailova A, J. J. Saucerman, et al., “Multi-scale modeling in rodent ventricular myocytes: contributions of structural and functional heterogeneities to excitation-contraction coupling,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 46–57, 2009.
- L. T. Izu, S. A. Means, J. N. Shadid, Y. Chen-Izu, and C. W. Balke, “Interplay of ryanodine receptor distribution and calcium dynamics,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 95–112, 2006.
- S. Means, A. J. Smith, J. Shepherd et al., “Reaction diffusion modeling of calcium dynamics with realistic ER geometry,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 537–557, 2006.
- Y. Cheng, Z. Yu, M. Hoshijima et al., “Numerical analysis of Ca2+ signaling in rat ventricular myocytes with realistic transverse-axial tubular geometry and inhibited sarcoplasmic reticulum,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID 1000972, 2010.
- A. Hatano, J.-I. Okada, T. Washio, T. Hisada, and S. Sugiura, “A three-dimensional simulation model of cardiomyocyte integrating excitation-contraction coupling and metabolism,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 2601–2610, 2011.
- A. Hatano, J.-I. Okada, T. Hisada, and S. Sugiura, “Critical role of cardiac t-tubule system for the maintenance of contractile function revealed by a 3D integrated model of cardiomyocytes,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 815–823, 2012.
- J. E. Hake, A. G. Edwards, Z. Yu, et al., “Modeling cardiac calcium sparks in a three-dimensional reconstruction of a calcium release unit,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 590, no. 18, pp. 4403–4422, 2012.
- P. M. Kekenes-Huskey, Y. Cheng, J. E. Hake, et al., “Modeling effects of L-type Ca2+ current and Na+-Ca2+ exchanger on Ca2+ trigger flux in rabbit myocytes with realistic T-tubule geometries,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 3, article 351, 2012.
- M. Fink and D. Noble, “Markov models for ion channels: versatility versus identifiability and speed,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 367, no. 1896, pp. 2161–2179, 2009.
- E. A. Sobie, “Parameter sensitivity analysis in electrophysiological models using multivariable regression,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1264–1274, 2009.
- M. D. Moris, “Factorial sampling plans for preliminary computational experiments,” Technometrics, vol. 33, pp. 161–174, 1991.
- D. Abramson, R. Sosic, J. Giddy, and B. Hall, “Nimrod: a tool for performing parametised simulations using distributed workstations,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC '95), pp. 112–121, Pentagon City, Va, USA, August 1995.
- H. Abdi, “Partial least squares (PLS) regression,” in Encyclopedia of Measurements and Statistics, N. J. Salkind, Ed., pp. 740–744, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2007.
- D. Abramson, J. Giddy, and L. Kotler, “High performance parametric modeling with Nimrod/G: killer application for the global grid?” in Proceedings of the 14th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '00), pp. 520–528, Cancun, Mexico, May 2000.
- D. Abramson, A. Lewis, and T. Peachey, “Nimrod/O: a tool for automatic design optimization,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Algorithms & Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP '00), World Scientific, Hong Kong, December 2000.
- T. C. Peachey, N. T. Diamond, D. A. Abramson, W. Sudholt, A. Michailova, and S. Amirriazi, “Fractional factorial design for parameter sweep experiments using Nimrod/E,” Scientific Programming, vol. 16, no. 2-3, pp. 217–230, 2008.
- H. R. Lu, E. Vlaminckx, and D. J. Gallacher, “Choice of cardiac tissue in vitro plays an important role in assessing the risk of drug-induced cardiac arrhythmias in human: beyond QT prolongation,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2008.
- C. Sims, S. Reisenweber, P. C. Viswanathan, B.-R. Choi, W. H. Walker, and G. Salama, “Sex, age, and regional differences in L-type calcium current are important determinants of arrhythmia phenotype in rabbit hearts with drug-induced long QT type 2,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 9, pp. e86–e100, 2008.
- A. Tóth, L. Kiss, A. Varró, and P. P. Nánási, “Potential therapeutic effects of Na+/Ca2+ exchanger inhibition in cardiac diseases,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 25, pp. 3294–3321, 2009.
- H. K. Ranu, C. M. N. Terracciano, K. Davia et al., “Effects of Na+/Ca2+-exchanger overexpression on excitation-contraction coupling in adult rabbit ventricular myocytes,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 389–400, 2002.
- T. Seidler, S. L. W. Miller, C. M. Loughrey et al., “Effects of adenovirus-mediated sorcin overexpression on excitation-contraction coupling in isolated rabbit cardiomyocytes,” Circulation Research, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 132–139, 2003.
- W. Schillinger, P. M. L. Janssen, S. Emami et al., “Impaired contractile performance of cultured rabbit ventricular myocytes after adenoviral gene transfer of Na+-Ca2+ exchanger,” Circulation Research, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 581–587, 2000.
- A. S. Farkas, K. Acsai, N. Nagy et al., “Na+/Ca2+ exchanger inhibition exerts a positive inotropic effect in the rat heart, but fails to influence the contractility of the rabbit heart,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 93–104, 2008.
- D. Guo, J. Zhou, X. Zhao et al., “L-type calcium current recovery versus ventricular repolarization: preserved membrane-stabilizing mechanism for different QT intervals across species,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 2008.
- C. L. Lawrence, M. H. Bridgland-Taylor, C. E. Pollard, T. G. Hammond, and J.-P. Valentin, “A rabbit Langendorff heart proarrhythmia model: predictive value for clinical identification of Torsades de Pointes,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 149, no. 7, pp. 845–860, 2006.
- R. Sah, R. J. Ramirez, G. Y. Oudit et al., “Regulation of cardiac excitation-contraction coupling by action potential repolarization: role of the transient outward potassium current (),” Journal of Physiology, vol. 546, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 2003.
- K. W. Linz and R. Meyer, “Profile and kinetics of L-type calcium current during the cardiac ventricular action potential compared in guinea-pigs, rats and rabbits,” Pflügers Archiv, vol. 439, no. 5, pp. 588–599, 2000.
- D. R. L. Scriven, P. Dan, and E. D. W. Moore, “Distribution of proteins implicated in excitation-contraction coupling in rat ventricular myocytes,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 2682–2691, 2000.
- C. Gershome, E. Lin, H. Kashihara, L. Hove-Madsen, and G. F. Tibbits, “Colocalization of voltage-gated Na+ channels with the Na+/Ca2+ exchanger in rabbit cardiomyocytes during development,” American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 300, no. 1, pp. H300–H311, 2011.
- F. B. Sachse, N. S. Torres, E. Savio-Galimberti et al., “Subcellular structures and function of myocytes impaired during heart failure are restored by cardiac resynchronization therapy,” Circulation Research, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 588–597, 2012.
- A. C. Zygmunt and W. R. Gibbons, “Calcium-activated chloride current in rabbit ventricular myocytes,” Circulation Research, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 424–437, 1991.
- S. Kawano, Y. Hirayama, and M. Hiraoka, “Activation mechanism of Ca2+-sensitive transient outward current in rabbit ventricular myocytes,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 486, no. 3, pp. 593–604, 1995.
- J. L. Puglisi, W. Yuan, J. W. Bassani, and D. M. Bers, “Ca2+ influx through Ca2+ channels in rabbit ventricular myocytes during action potential clamp: influence of temperature,” Circulation Research, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. e7–e16, 1999.
- M. Pásek, J. Šimurda, and C. H. Orchard, “Role of t-tubules in the control of trans-sarcolemmal ion flux and intracellular Ca2+ in a model of the rat cardiac ventricular myocyte,” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 491–503, 2012.
- R. K. Dash, F. Qi, and D. A. Beard, “A biophysically based mathematical model for the kinetics of mitochondrial calcium uniporter,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1318–1332, 2009.
- R. K. Pradhan, D. A. Beard, and R. K. Dash, “A biophysically based mathematical model for the kinetics of mitochondrial Na+-Ca2+ antiporter,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 218–230, 2010.
- S. Cortassa and M. A. Aon, “Computational modeling of mitochondrial function,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 810, pp. 311–326, 2012.
- E. N. Dedkova and L. A. Blatter, “Measuring mitochondrial function in intact cardiac myocytes,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 48–61, 2012.