- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 569438, 6 pages
Transcriptomic Profiling of the Four Adenosine Receptors in Human Leukocytes of Heart Failure Patients
1Laboratory of Cardiovascular Biochemistry, CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Via Giuseppe Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
2CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, 20162 Milan, Italy
3Cardiovascular Department, Niguarda Ca' Granda Hospital, 20162 Milan, Italy
Received 18 April 2013; Revised 17 May 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: Ahmed Abdel-Latif
Copyright © 2013 Manuela Cabiati et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Gessi, K. Varani, S. Merighi et al., “Adenosine and lymphocyte regulation,” Purinergic Signalling, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 109–116, 2007.
- B. B. Fredholm, A. P. IJzerman, K. A. Jacobson, J. Linden, and C. E. Müller, “International union of basic and clinical pharmacology. LXXXI. Nomenclature and classification of adenosine receptors—an update,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1–34, 2011.
- M. Katebi, M. Soleimani, and B. N. Cronstein, “Adenosine a2A receptors play an active role in mouse bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell development,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 438–444, 2009.
- M. C. Montesinos, P. Gadangi, M. Longaker et al., “Wound healing is accelerated by agonists of adenosine A2 (G(αs)-linked) receptors,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 186, no. 9, pp. 1615–1620, 1997.
- R. Zucchi, G. Yu, S. Ghelardoni, F. Ronca, and S. Ronca-Testoni, “A3 adenosine receptor stimulation modulates sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ release in rat heart,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2001.
- S. A. Epperson, L. L. Brunton, I. Ramirez-Sanchez, and F. Villarreal, “Adenosine receptors and second messenger signaling pathways in rat cardiac fibroblasts,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 296, no. 5, pp. C1171–C1177, 2009.
- M. Wakeno, T. Minamino, O. Seguchi et al., “Long-term stimulation of adenosine A2b receptors begun after myocardial infarction prevents cardiac remodeling in rats,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 18, pp. 1923–1932, 2006.
- K. Dickstein, P. E. Vardas, A. Auricchio et al., “2010 Focused Update of ESC Guidelines on device therapy in heart failure: an update of the 2008 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure and the 2007 ESC Guidelines for cardiac and resynchronization therapy—developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association and the European Heart Rhythm Association,” Europace, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1526–1536, 2010.
- M. M. Redfield, S. J. Jacobsen, J. C. Burnett Jr., D. W. Mahoney, K. R. Bailey, and R. J. Rodeheffer, “Burden of systolic and diastolic ventricular dysfunction in the community: appreciating the scope of the heart failure epidemic,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 2, pp. 194–202, 2003.
- O. Brodde, J. J. Beckeringh, and M. C. Michel, “Human heart β-adrenoceptors: a fair comparison with lymphocyte β-adrenoceptors?” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 403–407, 1987.
- K. Varani, F. Laghi-Pasini, A. Camurri et al., “Changes of peripheral A2A adenosine receptors in chronic heart failure and cardiac transplantation,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 280–282, 2003.
- P. L. Capecchi, A. Camurri, G. Pompella et al., “Upregulation of A2A adenosine receptor expression by TNF-α in PBMC of patients with CHF: a regulatory mechanism of inflammation,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2005.
- L. Sabatino, M. Cabiati, C. Caselli, and S. Del Ry, “Adenosine receptor expression and gene reference evaluation in human leukocytes,” Clinical Laboratory, vol. 59, pp. 571–577, 2013.
- J. Vandesompele, K. De Preter, F. Pattyn et al., “Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes,” Genome Biology, vol. 3, no. 7, Article ID RESEARCH0034, 2002.
- A. Martino, M. Cabiati, M. Campan et al., “Selection of reference genes for normalization of real-time PCR data in minipig heart failure model and evaluation of TNF-α mRNA expression,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 153, no. 3-4, pp. 92–99, 2011.
- M. Cabiati, L. Sabatino, R. Caruso, et al., “Gene expression of C-type natriuretic peptide and of its specific receptor NPR-B in human leukocytes of healthy and heart failure subjects,” Peptides, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2012.
- A. M. Feldman, E. Cheksis-Feiner, E. Hamad, and T. Chan, “Adenosine receptor subtypes and the heart failure phenotype: translating lessons from mice to man,” Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association, vol. 122, pp. 198–214, 2011.
- L. Antonioli, M. Fornai, R. Colucci et al., “Pharmacological modulation of adenosine system: novel options for treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 566–574, 2008.
- B. N. Cronstein, “Adenosine receptors and fibrosis: a translational review,” F1000 Biology Reports, vol. 3, no. 1, p. 21, 2011.
- J. Reutershan, I. Vollmer, S. Stark, R. Wagner, K. Ngamsri, and H. K. Eltzschig, “Adenosine and inflammation: CD39 and CD73 are critical mediators in LPS-induced PMN trafficking into the lungs,” FASEB Journal, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 473–482, 2009.
- D. E. Vatner, K. Asai, M. Iwase et al., “Beta-adrenergic receptor-G protein-adenylyl cyclase signal transduction in the failing heart,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 80, supplement 1–85, 1999.
- M. R. Mehra, P. A. Uber, and S. Potluri, “Renin angiotensin aldosterone and adrenergic modulation in chronic heart failure: contemporary concepts,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 324, no. 5, pp. 267–275, 2002.
- P. Aukrust, L. Gullestad, T. Ueland, J. K. Damås, and A. Yndestad, “Inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in chronic heart failure: potential therapeutic implications,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 74–85, 2005.
- H. Funaya, M. Kitakaze, K. Node, T. Minamino, K. Komamura, and M. Hori, “Plasma adenosine levels increase in patients with chronic heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1363–1365, 1997.
- V. Savic, V. Stefanovic, N. Ardaillou, and R. Ardaillou, “Induction of ecto--nucleotidase of rat cultured mesangial cells by interleukin-1β and tumour necrosis factor-α,” Immunology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 321–326, 1990.
- Y. Zhou, J. N. Murthy, D. Zeng, L. Belardinelli, and M. R. Blackburn, “Alterations in adenosine metabolism and signaling in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 2, Article ID e9224, 2010.
- M. Fujita, M. Asakura, S. Sanada et al., “Activation of ecto--nucleotidase in the blood and hearts of patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 426–430, 2008.
- M. Lagerkranser, A. Sollevi, and L. Irestedt, “Renin release during controlled hypotension with sodium nitroprusside, nitroglycerin and adenosine: a comparative study in the dog,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 1985.
- M. G. Bouma, F. A. J. M. van den Wildenberg, and W. A. Buurman, “Adenosine inhibits cytokine release and expression of adhesion molecules by activated human endothelial cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 270, no. 2, pp. C522–C529, 1996.
- M. Packer, “Current role of beta-adrenergic blockers in the management of chronic heart failure,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 110, no. 7, 2001.
- A. T. Yan, R. T. Yan, and P. P. Liu, “Narrative review: pharmacotherapy for chronic heart failure: evidence from recent clinical trials,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 132–145, 2005.
- M. Kitakaze, T. Minamino, K. Node et al., “Elevation of plasma adenosine levels may attenuate the severity of chronic heart failure,” Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 307–309, 1998.
- M. Akhtar, K. Ordovas, A. Martin, C. B. Higgins, and A. D. Michaels, “Effect of chronic sustained-release dipyridamole on myocardial blood flow and left ventricular function in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy,” Congestive Heart Failure, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 130–135, 2007.
- I. Kaufmann, A. Hoelzl, F. Schliephake et al., “Effects of adenosine on functions of polymorphonuclear leukocytes from patients with septic shock,” Shock, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2007.
- S. Del Ry, M. Cabiati, A. Martino, A. Simioniuc, M. Morales, and E. Picano, “Adenosine receptor mRNA expression in normal and failing minipig hearts,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2011.
- S. Del Ry, M. Cabiati, V. Lionetti, et al., “Pacing-induced regional differences in adenosine receptors mRNA expression in a swine model of dilated cardiomyopathy,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 10, Article ID e47011, 2012.
- M. Asakura, H. Asanuma, J. Kim et al., “Impact of adenosine receptor signaling and metabolism on pathophysiology in patients with chronic heart failure,” Hypertension Research, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 781–787, 2007.
- E. C. Klaasse, A. P. IJzerman, W. J. de Grip, and M. W. Beukers, “Internalization and desensitization of adenosine receptors,” Purinergic Signalling, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 2008.
- B. D. Hettinger, M. Leid, and T. F. Murray, “Cyclopentyladenosine-induced homologous down-regulation of A1 adenosine receptors (A1AR) in intact neurons is accompanied by receptor sequestration but not a reduction in A1AR mRNA expression or G protein α-subunit content,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 221–230, 1998.
- J. Huggett, K. Dheda, S. Bustin, and A. Zumla, “Real-time RT-PCR normalisation; strategies and considerations,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 279–284, 2005.
- S. Derveaux, J. Vandesompele, and J. Hellemans, “How to do successful gene expression analysis using real-time PCR,” Methods, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 227–230, 2010.