- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 569470, 16 pages
A Novel Multilayered Multidisk Oral Tablet for Chronotherapeutic Drug Delivery
1Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa
2Department of Pharmaceutics and Formulation Sciences, St John’s University of Tanzania, Dodoma, Tanzania
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 15 July 2013
Academic Editor: Sanyog Jain
Copyright © 2013 Zaheeda Khan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Bahammam, M. Alrajeh, M. Albabtain, S. Bahammam, and M. Sharif, “Circadian pattern of sleep, energy expenditure, and body temperature of young healthy men during the intermittent fasting of Ramadan,” Appetite, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 426–429, 2010.
- C.-H. Hsieh and M. D. Ohman, “Biological responses to environmental forcing: the linear tracking window hypothesis,” Ecology, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 1932–1938, 2006.
- A. B. Reddy and J. S. O'Neill, “Healthy clocks, healthy body, healthy mind,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2010.
- A. M. Rosenwasser, “Circadian clock genes: non-circadian roles in sleep, addiction, and psychiatric disorders?” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1249–1255, 2010.
- S. Sewlall, V. Pillay, M. P. Danckwerts, Y. E. Choonara, V. M. K. Ndesendo, and L. C. du Toit, “A timely review of state-of-the-art chronopharmaceuticals synchronized with biological rhythms,” Current Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 370–388, 2010.
- N. Burioka, T. Sako, K. Tomita et al., “Theophylline chronotherapy of nocturnal asthma using bathyphase of circadian rhythm in peak expiratory flow rate,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 142–146, 2000.
- R. C. Hermida, D. E. Ayala, J. R. Fernández, and C. Calvo, “Chronotherapy improves blood pressure control and reverts the nondipper pattern in patients with resistant hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2008.
- M. Cutolo, B. Seriolo, C. Craviotto, C. Pizzorni, and A. Sulli, “Circadian rhythms in RA,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 593–596, 2003.
- J. G. Douglas, “Compliance with antihypertensive therapy: is it time for chronotherapy?” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 15, article A238, 2002.
- A. Hassan and W. E. Haefeli, “Appropriateness of timing of drug administration in electronic prescriptions,” Pharmacy World and Science, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 162–171, 2010.
- M. Kraft and R. J. Martin, “Chronobiology and chronotherapy in medicine,” Disease-a-Month, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 506–575, 1995.
- F. Lévi, “Circadian chronotherapy for human cancers,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 307–315, 2001.
- B. Lemmer, “The importance of circadian rhythms on drug response in hypertension and coronary heart disease-from mice and man,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 629–651, 2006.
- V. S. Mastiholimath, P. M. Dandagi, S. S. Jain, A. P. Gadad, and A. R. Kulkarni, “Time and pH dependent colon specific, pulsatile delivery of theophylline for nocturnal asthma,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 328, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2007.
- L. M. Prisant, “Hypertension and chronotherapy: shifting the treatment paradigm,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 277–279, 2001.
- P. Sher, G. Ingavle, S. Ponrathnam, and A. P. Pawar, “Low density porous carrier based conceptual drug delivery system,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 102, no. 1–3, pp. 290–298, 2007.
- D. H. G. Smith, “Pharmacology of cardiovascular chronotherapeutic agents,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 296–301, 2001.
- M. H. Smolensky and F. Portaluppi, “Chronopharmacology and chronotherapy of cardiovascular medications: relevance to prevention and treatment of coronary heart disease,” American Heart Journal, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. S14–S24, 1999.
- E. R. Sutherland, “Nocturnal asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1179–1187, 2005.
- B.-B. C. Youan, “Chronopharmaceutics: gimmick or clinically relevant approach to drug delivery?” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 337–353, 2004.
- A. Dashevsky and A. Mohamad, “Development of pulsatile multiparticulate drug delivery system coated with aqueous dispersion Aquacoat ECD,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 318, no. 1-2, pp. 124–131, 2006.
- L. E. Kalantzi, E. Karavas, E. X. Koutris, and D. N. Bikiaris, “Recent advances in oral pulsatile drug delivery,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 49–63, 2009.
- K. P. S. Kumar, D. Bhowmik, C. M. Chandira, and K. K. Tripathi, “Innovations in sustained release drug delivery system and its market opportunities,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 349–360, 2010.
- B. Lemmer, “Circadian rhythms and drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 16, no. 1-2, pp. 63–74, 1991.
- T. Y. Fan, S. L. Wei, W. W. Yan, D. B. Chen, and J. Li, “An investigation of pulsatile release tablets with ethylcellulose and Eudragit L as film coating materials and cross-linked polyvinylpyrrolidone in the core tablets,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 2001.
- R. M. Iskakov, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “Time-programmed pulsatile release of dextran from calcium-alginate gel beads coated with carboxy-n-propylacrylamide copolymers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 80, no. 1–3, pp. 57–68, 2002.
- V. D. Kadam and S. G. Gattani, “Development of colon targeted multiparticulate pulsatile drug delivery system for treating nocturnal asthma,” Drug Delivery, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 343–351, 2010.
- I. Krögel and R. Bodmeier, “Floating or pulsatile drug delivery systems based on coated effervescent cores,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 175–184, 1999.
- H.-L. Lin, S.-Y. Lin, Y.-K. Lin, H.-O. Ho, Y.-W. Lo, and M.-T. Sheu, “Release characteristics and in vitro-in vivo correlation of pulsatile pattern for a pulsatile drug delivery system activated by membrane rupture via osmotic pressure and swelling,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 289–301, 2008.
- R. C. A. Schellekens, F. Stellaard, D. Mitrovic, F. E. Stuurman, J. G. W. Kosterink, and H. W. Frijlink, “Pulsatile drug delivery to ileo-colonic segments by structured incorporation of disintegrants in pH-responsive polymer coatings,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 91–98, 2008.
- B. Li, J. Zhu, C. Zheng, and W. Gong, “A novel system for three-pulse drug release based on “tablets in capsule” device,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 352, no. 1-2, pp. 159–164, 2008.
- T. Bussemer, A. Dashevsky, and R. Bodmeier, “A pulsatile drug delivery system based on rupturable coated hard gelatin capsules,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 331–339, 2003.
- M. Efentakis, S. Koligliati, and M. Vlachou, “Design and evaluation of a dry coated drug delivery system with an impermeable cup, swellable top layer and pulsatile release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 311, no. 1-2, pp. 147–156, 2006.
- M. Ghimire, F. J. McInnes, D. G. Watson, A. B. Mullen, and H. N. E. Stevens, “In-vitro/in-vivo correlation of pulsatile drug release from press-coated tablet formulations: a pharmacoscintigraphic study in the beagle dog,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 515–523, 2007.
- S. Sungthongjeen, S. Puttipipatkhachorn, O. Paeratakul, A. Dashevsky, and R. Bodmeier, “Development of pulsatile release tablets with swelling and rupturable layers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 147–159, 2004.
- S. Sharma and A. Pawar, “Low density multiparticulate system for pulsatile release of meloxicam,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 150–158, 2006.
- M. H. Smolensky, B. Lemmer, and A. E. Reinberg, “Chronobiology and chronotherapy of allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthma,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 9-10, pp. 852–882, 2007.
- M. H. Smolensky and G. E. D'Alonzo, “Biologic rhythms and medicine,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 34–46, 1988.
- S. S. Lee, C. B. Lim, C. M. Pai, S. P. Lee, M. G. Seo, and H. Park, “Composition and pharmaceutical dosage form for colonic drug delivery using polysaccharides,” US Patent 6, 413.494, 1999.
- L. I. Giannola, V. De Caro, G. Giandalia et al., “Release of naltrexone on buccal mucosa: permeation studies, histological aspects and matrix system design,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 425–433, 2007.
- V. Pillay and R. Fassihi, “Evaluation and comparison of dissolution data derived from different modified release dosage forms: an alternative method,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 45–55, 1998.
- M. Efentakis and M. Vlachou, “Evaluation of high molecular weight poly(oxyethylene) (Polyox)polymer: studies of flow properties and release rates of furosemide and captopril from controlled-release hard gelatin capsules,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 339–346, 2000.
- P. Kumar, V. Pillay, Y. E. Choonara, G. Modi, D. Naidoo, and L. C. du Toit, “In silico theoretical molecular modeling for Alzheimer's disease: the nicotine-curcumin paradigm in neuroprotection and neurotherapy,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 694–724, 2011.
- V. Pillay and R. Fassihi, “Electrolyte-induced compositional heterogeneity: a novel approach for rate-controlled oral drug delivery,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1140–1148, 1999.
- V. Pillay and R. Fassihi, “In vitro release modulation from crosslinked pellets for site-specific drug delivery to the gastrointestinal tract. I. Comparison of pH-responsive drug release and associated kinetics,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 229–242, 1999.
- A. R. Tiller and B. Gorella, “Estimation of polymer compatibility from molecular mechanics calculations,” Polymer, vol. 35, no. 15, pp. 3251–3259, 1994.
- S. Pérez, M. Kouwijzer, K. Mazeau, and S. B. Engelsen, “Modeling polysaccharides: present status and challenges,” Journal of Molecular Graphics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 307–321, 1996.