- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 572609, 8 pages
A Potential Therapeutic Strategy for Malignant Mesothelioma with Gene Medicine
1Department of Respirology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8670, Japan
2Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Toho University, 6-11-1 Omori-nishi, Ota-ku, Tokyo 143-8540, Japan
3Department of Pathology, Tokyo Women's Medical University Yachiyo Medical Center, 477-96 Owada-Shinden, Yachiyo 276-8524, Japan
4Division of Pathology and Cell Therapy, Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute, 666-2 Nitona, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8717, Japan
5Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8670, Japan
Received 12 October 2012; Revised 25 December 2012; Accepted 25 December 2012
Academic Editor: Jie Chen
Copyright © 2013 Yuji Tada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. W. S. Robinson and R. A. Lake, “Advances in malignant mesothelioma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 15, pp. 1591–1603, 2005.
- B. W. S. Robinson, A. W. Musk, and R. A. Lake, “Malignant mesothelioma,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9483, pp. 397–408, 2005.
- D. A. Fennell, G. Gaudino, K. J. O'Byrne, L. Mutti, and J. van Meerbeeck, “Advances in the systemic therapy of malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 136–147, 2008.
- N. J. Vogelzang, J. J. Rusthoven, J. Symanowski et al., “Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 2636–2644, 2003.
- A. Santoro, M. E. O'Brien, R. A. Stahel et al., “Pemetrexed plus cisplatin or pemetrexed plus carboplatin for chemonaïve patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: results of the international expanded access program,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 756–763, 2008.
- J. P. van Meerbeeck, R. Gaafar, C. Manegold et al., “Randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an intergroup study of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Group and the National Cancer Institute of Canada,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 28, pp. 6881–6889, 2005.
- G. L. Ceresoli, P. A. Zucali, L. Gianoncelli, E. Lorenzi, and A. Santoro, “Second-line treatment for malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2010.
- L. M. Krug, H. I. Pass, V. W. Rusch et al., “Multicenter phase II trial of neoadjuvant pemetrexed plus cisplatin followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy and radiation for malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 18, pp. 3007–3013, 2009.
- L. L. Garland, C. Rankin, D. R. Gandara et al., “Phase II study of erlotinib in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: a Southwest Oncology Group Study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 2406–2413, 2007.
- S. Yano, Q. Li, W. Wang et al., “Antiangiogenic therapies for malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 16, pp. 740–748, 2011.
- J. E. Dowell, F. R. Dunphy, R. N. Taub, et al., “A multicenter phase II study of cisplatin, pemetrexed, and bevacizumab in patients with advanced malignant mesothelioma,” Lung Cancer, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 567–571, 2012.
- A. Y. Lee, D. J. Ras, B. He, and D. M. Jablons, “Update on the molecular biology of malignant mesothelioma,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 1454–1461, 2007.
- C. Thurneysen, I. Opitz, S. Kurtz, W. Weder, R. A. Stahel, and E. Felley-Bosco, “Functional inactivation of NF2/merlin in human mesothelioma,” Lung Cancer, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2009.
- J. R. Testa, M. Cheung, J. Pei, et al., “Germline BAP1 mutations predispose to malignant mesothelioma,” Nature Genetics, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1022–1025, 2011.
- C. T. Yang, L. You, C. C. Yeh et al., “Adenovirus-mediated p14(ARF) gene transfer in human mesothelioma cells,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 636–641, 2000.
- S. P. Frizelle, J. B. Rubins, J. X. Zhou, D. T. Curiel, and R. A. Kratzke, “Gene therapy of established mesothelioma xenografts with recombinant p16INK4a adenovirus,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1421–1425, 2000.
- C. T. Yang, L. You, K. Uematsu, C. C. Yeh, F. McCormick, and D. M. Jablons, “p14ARF modulates the cytolytic effect of ONYX-015 in mesothelioma cells with wild-type p53,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 16, pp. 5959–5963, 2001.
- C. T. Yang, L. You, Y. C. Lin, C. L. Lin, F. McCormick, and D. M. Jablons, “A comparison analysis of anti-tumor efficacy of adenoviral gene replacement therapy (p14ARF and p16INK4A) in human mesothelioma cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2003.
- Q. Li, K. Kawamura, M. Yamanaka, et al., “Upregulated p53 expression activates apoptotic pathways in wild-type p53-bearing mesothelioma and enhances cytotoxicity of cisplatin and pemetrexed,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 218–228, 2012.
- K. Matsumoto and T. Nakamura, “NK4 (HGF-antagonist/angiogenesis inhibitor) in cancer biology and therapeutics,” Cancer Science, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 321–327, 2003.
- Y. Suzuki, K. Sakai, J. Ueki et al., “Inhibition of Met/HGF receptor and angiogenesis by NK4 leads to suppression of tumor growth and migration in malignant pleural mesothelioma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 8, pp. 1948–1957, 2010.
- K. Sakai, T. Nakamura, K. Matsumoto, and T. Nakamura, “Angioinhibitory action of NK4 involves impaired extracellular assembly of fibronectin mediated by perlecan-NK4 association,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 33, pp. 22491–22499, 2009.
- S. Pesonen, I. Diaconu, L. Kangasniemi, et al., “Oncolytic immunotherapy of advanced solid tumors with a CD40L-expressing replicating adenovirus: assessment of safety and immunologic responses in patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 1621–1631, 2012.
- Y. Kawasaki, A. Tamamoto, M. Takagi-Kimura et al., “Replication-competent retrovirus vector-mediated prodrug activator gene therapy in experimental models of human malignant mesothelioma,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 571–578, 2011.
- P. S. Adusumilli, B. M. Stiles, M. K. Chan et al., “Imaging and therapy of malignant pleural mesothelioma using replication-competent herpes simplex viruses,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 603–615, 2006.
- H. Li, K. W. Peng, D. Dingli, R. A. Kratzke, and S. J. Russell, “Oncolytic measles viruses encoding interferon β and the thyroidal sodium iodide symporter gene for mesothelioma virotherapy,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 550–558, 2010.
- M. Yamanaka, Y. Tada, K. Kawamura, et al., “E1B-55kD-defective adenoviruses activate p53 in mesothelioma and enhance cytotoxicity of anticancer agents,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1850–1857, 2012.
- Y. Tada, Y. Takiguchi, K. Hiroshima et al., “Gene therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: present and future,” Oncology Research, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 239–246, 2008.
- D. H. Sterman, J. Treat, L. A. Litzky et al., “Adenovirus-mediated herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase/ganciclovir gene therapy in patients with localized malignancy: results of a phase I clinical trial in malignant mesothelioma,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1083–1092, 1998.
- S. Mukherjee, T. Haenel, R. Himbeck et al., “Replication-restricted vaccinia as a cytokine gene therapy vector in cancer: persistent transgene expression despite antibody generation,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 663–670, 2000.
- D. H. Sterman, A. Recio, R. G. Carroll et al., “A phase I clinical trial of single-dose intrapleural IFN-β gene transfer for malignant pleural mesothelioma and metastatic pleural effusions: high rate of antitumor immune responses,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 4456–4466, 2007.
- D. H. Sterman, A. Recio, A. R. Haas et al., “A phase I trial of repeated intrapleural adenoviral-mediated interferon-β gene transfer for mesothelioma and metastatic pleural effusions,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 852–860, 2010.
- D. H. Sterman, A. Haas, E. Moon, et al., “A trial of intrapleural adenoviral-mediated interferon-α2b gene transfer for malignant pleural mesothelioma,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 184, no. 12, pp. 1395–1399, 2011.
- C. Willmon, R. M. Diaz, P. Wongthida et al., “Vesicular stomatitis virus-induced immune suppressor cells generate antagonism between intratumoral oncolytic virus and cyclophosphamide,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 140–149, 2011.
- A. Saito, N. Morishita, C. Mitsuoka et al., “Intravenous injection of irradiated tumor cell vaccine carrying oncolytic adenovirus suppressed the growth of multiple lung tumors in a mouse squamous cell carcinoma model,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 353–361, 2011.
- S. P. Grekova, M. Aprahamian, L. Daeffler, et al., “Interferon γ improves the vaccination potential of oncolytic parvovirus H-1PV for the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis in pancreatic cancer,” Cancer Biology & Therapy, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 888–895, 2011.
- A. Melotti, A. Daga, D. Marubbi, A. Zunino, L. Mutti, and G. Corte, “In vitro and in vivo characterization of highly purified human mesothelioma derived cells,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 54, 2010.
- K. Iguchi, F. Sakurai, K. Tomita, et al., “Efficient antitumor effects of carrier cells loaded with a fiber-substituted conditionally replicating adenovirus on CAR-negative tumor cells,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 118–125, 2012.
- A. Gros, C. Puig, S. Guedan, J. J. Rojas, R. Alemany, and M. Cascallo, “Verapamil enhances the antitumoral efficacy of oncolytic adenoviruses,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 903–911, 2010.
- A. Koski, M. Raki, P. Nokisalmi, et al., “Verapamil results in increased blood levels of oncolytic adenovirus in treatment of patients with advanced cancer,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 221–229, 2012.
- P. Seth, Z. G. Wang, A. Pister et al., “Development of oncolytic adenovirus armed with a fusion of soluble transforming growth factor-β receptor II and human immunoglobulin Fc for breast cancer therapy,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1152–1160, 2006.
- S. Lavilla-Alonso, M. M. Bauer, U. Abo-Ramadan, et al., “Macrophage metalloelastase (MME) as adjuvant for intra-tumoral injection of oncolytic adenovirus and its influence on metastases development,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 126–134, 2012.
- Y. Watanabe, T. Kojima, S. Kagawa et al., “A novel translational approach for human malignant pleural mesothelioma: heparanase-assisted dual virotherapy,” Oncogene, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1145–1154, 2010.
- J. Cheng, H. Sauthoff, Y. Huang et al., “Human matrix metalloproteinase-8 gene delivery increases the oncolytic activity of a replicating adenovirus,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1982–1990, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, Y. S. Lee, H. Kim, J. H. Huang, A. R. Yoon, and C. O. Yun, “Relaxin expression from tumor-targeting adenoviruses and its intratumoral spread, apoptosis induction, and efficacy,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 20, pp. 1482–1493, 2006.
- I. Mookerjee, N. R. Solly, S. G. Royce, G. W. Tregear, C. S. Samuel, and M. L. K. Tang, “Endogenous relaxin regulates collagen deposition in an animal model of allergic airway disease,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 754–761, 2006.
- C. L. Willmon, V. Saloura, Z. G. Fridlender et al., “Expression of IFN-β enhances both efficacy and safety of oncolytic vesicular stomatitis virus for therapy of mesothelioma,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 19, pp. 7713–7720, 2009.
- B. Li, X. Liu, J. Fan et al., “A survivin-mediated oncolytic adenovirus induces non-apoptotic cell death in lung cancer cells and shows antitumoral in vivo,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1232–1242, 2006.
- Z. B. Zhu, S. K. Makhija, B. Lu et al., “Targeting mesothelioma using an infectivity enhanced survivin-conditionally replicative adenoviruses,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 701–711, 2006.
- Y. Oshima, S. Yajima, K. Yamazaki, K. Matsushita, M. Tagawa, and H. Shimada, “Angiogenesis-related factors are molecular targets for diagnosis and treatment of patients with esophageal carcinoma,” Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 389–393, 2010.
- S. Kubo, Y. Kawasaki, N. Yamaoka et al., “Complete regression of human malignant mesothelioma xenografts following local injection of midkine promoter-driven oncolytic adenovirus,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 681–692, 2010.
- S. van der Bij, E. Schaake, H. Koffijberg, J. A. Burgers, B. A. J. M. de Mol, and K. G. M. Moons, “Markers for the non-invasive diagnosis of mesothelioma: a systematic review,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 104, no. 8, pp. 1325–1333, 2011.
- T. Mimura, A. Ito, T. Sakuma et al., “Novel marker D2-40, combined with calretinin, CEA, and TTF-1: an optimal set of immunodiagnostic markers for pleural mesothelioma,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 933–938, 2007.
- K. Hollevoet, J. B. Reitsma, J. Creaney, et al., “Serum mesothelin for diagnosing malignant pleural mesothelioma: an individual patient data meta-analysis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 1541–1549, 2012.
- F. Dong, L. Wang, J. J. Davis et al., “Eliminating established tumor in nu/nu nude mice by a tumor necrosis factor-α-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-armed oncolytic adenovirus,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 17, pp. 5224–5230, 2006.
- Y. A. Zhang, J. Nemunaitis, S. K. Samuel, P. Chen, Y. Shen, and A. W. Tong, “Antitumor activity of an oncolytic adenovirus-delivered oncogene small interfering RNA,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 19, pp. 9736–9743, 2006.
- X. P. He, C. Q. Su, X. H. Wang et al., “E1B-55kD-deleted oncolytic adenovirus armed with canstatin gene yields an enhanced anti-tumor efficacy on pancreatic cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 285, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 2009.
- A. Koski, L. Kangasniemi, S. I. Escutenaire et al., “Treatment of cancer patients with a serotype 5/3 chimeric oncolytic adenovirus expressing GMCSF,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1874–1884, 2010.