- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 574136, 9 pages
Chitosan Combined with Poly-L-arginine as Efficient, Safe, and Serum-Insensitive Vehicle with RNase Protection Ability for siRNA Delivery
Pharmaceutical Development of Green Innovations Group (PDGIG), Faculty of Pharmacy, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom 73000, Thailand
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 5 June 2013; Accepted 5 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kamla Pathak
Copyright © 2013 Samarwadee Plianwong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Elbashir, J. Harborth, W. Lendeckel, A. Yalcin, K. Weber, and T. Tuschl, “Duplexes of 21-nucleotide RNAs mediate RNA interference in cultured mammalian cells,” Nature, vol. 411, no. 6836, pp. 494–498, 2001.
- Y.-K. Oh and T. G. Park, “siRNA delivery systems for cancer treatment,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 850–862, 2009.
- S. Barik, “Silence of the transcripts: RNA interference in medicine,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 764–773, 2005.
- S. Zhang, Y. Zhao, D. Zhi, and S. Zhang, “Non-viral vectors for the mediation of RNAi,” Bioorganic Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 10–18, 2012.
- S. Akhtar and I. F. Benter, “Nonviral delivery of synthetic siRNAs in vivo,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 3623–3632, 2007.
- A. de Fougerolles, H.-P. Vornlocher, J. Maraganore, and J. Lieberman, “Interfering with disease: a progress report on siRNA-based therapeutics,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 443–453, 2007.
- D. J. Gary, N. Puri, and Y.-Y. Won, “Polymer-based siRNA delivery: perspectives on the fundamental and phenomenological distinctions from polymer-based DNA delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 64–73, 2007.
- W. J. Kim and S. W. Kim, “Efficient siRNA delivery with non-viral polymeric vehicles,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 657–666, 2009.
- A. C. Richards Grayson, A. M. Doody, and D. Putnam, “Biophysical and structural characterization of polyethylenimine-mediated siRNA delivery in vitro,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1868–1876, 2006.
- B. Urban-Klein, S. Werth, S. Abuharbeid, F. Czubayko, and A. Aigner, “RNAi-mediated gene-targeting through systemic application of polyethylenimine (PEI)-complexed siRNA in vivo,” Gene Therapy, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 461–466, 2005.
- M. L. Patil, M. Zhang, S. Betigeri, O. Taratula, H. He, and T. Minko, “Surface-modified and internally cationic polyamidoamine dendrimers for efficient siRNA delivery,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1396–1403, 2008.
- J. Zhou, J. Wu, N. Hafdi, J.-P. Behr, P. Erbacher, and L. Peng, “PAMAM dendrimers for efficient siRNA delivery and potent gene silencing,” Chemical Communications, no. 22, pp. 2362–2364, 2006.
- S. Mao, W. Sun, and T. Kissel, “Chitosan-based formulations for delivery of DNA and siRNA,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 12–27, 2010.
- K. A. Howard, U. L. Rahbek, X. D. Liu et al., “RNA interference in vitro and in vivo using a chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle system,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 476–484, 2006.
- H. Katas and H. O. Alpar, “Development and characterisation of chitosan nanoparticles for siRNA delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 216–225, 2006.
- X. Liu, K. A. Howard, M. Dong et al., “The influence of polymeric properties on chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle formulation and gene silencing,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1280–1288, 2007.
- K. A. Howard, S. R. Paludan, M. A. Behlke, F. Besenbacher, B. Deleuran, and J. Kjems, “Chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle-mediated TNF-α knockdown in peritoneal macrophages for anti-inflammatory treatment in a murine arthritis model,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 162–168, 2009.
- T. Rojanarata, P. Opanasopit, S. Techaarpornkul, T. Ngawhirunpat, and U. Ruktanonchai, “Chitosan-thiamine pyrophosphate as a novel carrier for siRNA delivery,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2807–2814, 2008.
- S. Techaarpornkul, S. Wongkupasert, P. Opanasopit, A. Apirakaramwong, J. Nunthanid, and U. Ruktanonchai, “Chitosan-mediated siRNA delivery in vitro: effect of polymer molecular weight, concentration and salt forms,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 64–72, 2010.
- S. Xu, M. Dong, X. Liu, K. A. Howard, J. Kjems, and F. Besenbacher, “Direct force measurements between siRNA and chitosan molecules using force spectroscopy,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 952–959, 2007.
- T. Sato, T. Ishii, and Y. Okahata, “In vitro gene delivery mediated by chitosan. Effect of pH, serum, and molecular mass of chitosan on the transfection efficiency,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 2075–2080, 2001.
- M. Lavertu, S. Méthot, N. Tran-Khanh, and M. D. Buschmann, “High efficiency gene transfer using chitosan/DNA nanoparticles with specific combinations of molecular weight and degree of deacetylation,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 27, pp. 4815–4824, 2006.
- M. E. Martin and K. G. Rice, “Peptide-guided gene delivery,” The AAPS Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. E18–E29, 2007.
- P. Saccardo, A. Villaverde, and N. González-Montalbán, “Peptide-mediated DNA condensation for non-viral gene therapy,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 432–438, 2009.
- M. Yamagata, T. Kawano, K. Shiba, T. Mori, Y. Katayama, and T. Niidome, “Structural advantage of dendritic poly(l-lysine) for gene delivery into cells,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 526–532, 2007.
- S. Shahana, C. Kampf, and G. M. Roomans, “Effects of the cationic protein poly-L-arginine on airway epithelial cells in vitro,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 141–148, 2002.
- E.-J. Kim, G. Shim, K. Kim, I. C. Kwon, Y.-K. Oh, and C.-K. Shim, “Hyaluronic acid complexed to biodegradable poly L-arginine for targeted delivery of siRNAs,” The Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 791–803, 2009.
- S. M. Noh, M. O. Park, G. Shim et al., “Pegylated poly-l-arginine derivatives of chitosan for effective delivery of siRNA,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2010.
- P. Opanasopit, J. Tragulpakseerojn, A. Apirakaramwong, T. Ngawhirunpat, and T. Rojanarata, “Chitosan enhances transfection efficiency of cationic polypeptides/DNA complexes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 410, no. 1-2, pp. 161–168, 2011.
- J. Kim, S. H. Lee, J. Choe, and T. G. Park, “Intracellular small interfering RNA delivery using genetically engineered double-stranded RNA binding protein domain,” The Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 804–812, 2009.