- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 583912, 6 pages
Present and Future Perspectives on Cell Sheet-Based Myocardial Regeneration Therapy
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine E1, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 4 October 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013
Academic Editor: Ryuichi Morishita
Copyright © 2013 Yoshiki Sawa and Shigeru Miyagawa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Menasché, O. Alfieri, S. Janssens et al., “The myoblast autologous grafting in ischemic cardiomyopathy (MAGIC) trial: first randomized placebo-controlled study of myoblast transplantation,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1189–1200, 2008.
- B. E. Strauer, M. Brehm, T. Zeus et al., “Repair of infarcted myocardium by autologous intracoronary mononuclear bone marrow cell transplantation in humans,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 15, pp. 1913–1918, 2002.
- S. Miyagawa, Y. Sawa, S. Sakakida et al., “Tissue cardiomyoplasty using bioengineered contractile cardiomyocyte sheets to repair damaged myocardium: their integration with recipient myocardium,” Transplantation, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1586–1595, 2005.
- K. Nishida, M. Yamato, Y. Hayashida et al., “Corneal reconstruction with tissue-engineered cell sheets composed of autologous oral mucosal epithelium,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 12, pp. 1187–1196, 2004.
- A. Kushida, M. Yamato, Y. Isoi, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “A noninvasive transfer system for polarized renal tubule epithelial cell sheets using temperature-responsive culture dishes,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 10, pp. 23–30, 2005.
- T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “Two-dimensional manipulation of cardiac myocyte sheets utilizing temperature-responsive culture dishes augments the pulsatile amplitude,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 141–151, 2001.
- T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, T. Akutsu et al., “Electrically communicating three-dimensional cardiac tissue mimic fabricated by layered cultured cardiomyocyte sheets,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 110–117, 2002.
- T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, Y. Isoi et al., “Fabrication of pulsatile cardiac tissue grafts using a novel 3-dimensional cell sheet manipulation technique and temperature-responsive cell culture surfaces,” Circulation Research, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. e40–e48, 2002.
- T. Shimizu, H. Sekine, Y. Isoi, M. Yamato, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “Long-term survival and growth of pulsatile myocardial tissue grafts engineered by the layering of cardiomyocyte sheets,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 499–507, 2006.
- S. Sekiya, T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “Bioengineered cardiac cell sheet grafts have intrinsic angiogenic potential,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 341, no. 2, pp. 573–582, 2006.
- T. Shirasaka, S. Miyagawa, S. Fukushima et al., “A slow-releasing form of prostacyclin agonist (ONO13O1SR) enhances endogenous secretion of multiple cardiotherapeutic cytokines and improves cardiac function in a rapid-pacing-induced model of canine heart failure,” The Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 413–421, 2013.
- Y. Imanishi, S. Miyagawa, S. Fukushima et al., “Sustained-release delivery of prostacyclin analogue enhances bone marrow-cell recruitment and yields functional benefits for acute myocardial infarction in mice,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, Article ID e69302, 2013.
- N. Dib, R. E. Michler, F. D. Pagani et al., “Safety and feasibility of autologous myoblast transplantation in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: four-year follow-up,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1748–1755, 2005.
- I. A. Memon, Y. Sawa, N. Fukushima et al., “Repair of impaired myocardium by means of implantation of engineered autologous myoblast sheets,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1333–1341, 2005.
- H. Kondoh, Y. Sawa, S. Miyagawa et al., “Longer preservation of cardiac performance by sheet-shaped myoblast implantation in dilated cardiomyopathic hamsters,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 466–475, 2006.
- H. Hata, G. Matsumiya, S. Miyagawa et al., “Grafted skeletal myoblast sheets attenuate myocardial remodeling in pacing-induced canine heart failure model,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 918–924, 2006.
- Y. Itabashi, S. Miyoshi, S. Yuasa et al., “Analysis of the electrophysiological properties and arrhythmias in directly contacted skeletal and cardiac muscle cell sheets,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 561–570, 2005.
- B. Léobon, I. Garcin, P. Menasché, J.-T. Vilquin, E. Audinat, and S. Charpak, “Myoblasts transplanted into rat infarcted myocardium are functionally isolated from their host,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 13, pp. 7808–7811, 2003.
- S. Miyagawa, M. Roth, A. Saito, Y. Sawa, and S. Kostin, “Tissue-engineered cardiac constructs for cardiac repair,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 320–329, 2011.
- Y. Sawa, S. Miyagawa, T. Sakaguchi et al., “Tissue engineered myoblast sheets improved cardiac function sufficiently to discontinue LVAS in a patient with DCM: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2012.
- Y. Miyahara, N. Nagaya, M. Kataoka et al., “Monolayered mesenchymal stem cells repair scarred myocardium after myocardial infarction,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 459–465, 2006.
- H. N. Sabbah, “The cardiac support device and the myosplint: treating heart failure by targeting left ventricular size and shape,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. S13–S19, 2003.
- H. Sekine, T. Shimizu, K. Hobo et al., “Endothelial cell coculture within tissue-engineered cardiomyocyte sheets enhances neovascularization and improves cardiac function of ischemic hearts,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 14, pp. S145–152, 2008.
- H. Kobayashi, T. Shimizu, M. Yamato et al., “Fibroblast sheets co-cultured with endothelial progenitor cells improve cardiac function of infarcted hearts,” Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 141–147, 2008.
- K. Hobo, T. Shimizu, H. Sekine, T. Shin'oka, T. Okano, and H. Kurosawa, “Therapeutic angiogenesis using tissue engineered human smooth muscle cell sheets,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 637–643, 2008.
- I. A. Memon, Y. Sawa, S. Miyagawa, S. Taketani, and H. Matsuda, “Combined autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty with skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells in canine hearts for ischemic cardiomyopathy,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 646–653, 2005.
- K. Matsuura, A. Honda, T. Nagai et al., “Transplantation of cardiac progenitor cells ameliorates cardiac dysfunction after myocardial infarction in mice,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 2204–2217, 2009.
- R. Bolli, A. R. Chugh, D. D'amario et al., “Cardiac stem cells in patients with ischaemic cardiomyopathy (SCIPIO): initial results of a randomised phase 1 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9806, pp. 1847–1857, 2011.
- S. Kamata, S. Miyagawa, S. Fukushima et al., “Improvement of cardiac stem cell-sheet therapy for chronic ischemic injury by adding endothelial progenitor cell transplantation: analysis of layer-specific regional cardiac function,” Cell Transplant, 2013.
- K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 663–676, 2006.
- T. Yu, S. Miyagawa, K. Miki et al., “In vivo differentiation of induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes,” Circulation Journal, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1297–1306, 2013.
- M. Kawamura, S. Miyagawa, K. Miki et al., “Feasibility, safety, and therapeutic efficacy of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocyte sheets in a porcine ischemic cardiomyopathy model,” Circulation, vol. 126, pp. S29–S37, 2012.
- K. Miki, H. Uenaka, A. Saito et al., “Bioengineered myocardium derived from induced pluripotent stem cells improves cardiac function and attenuates cardiac remodeling following chronic myocardial infarction in rats,” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 430–437, 2012.
- M. Kawamura, S. Miyagawa, S. Fukushima et al., “Enhanced survival of transplanted human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes by the combination of cell sheets with the pedicled omental flap technique in a porcine heart,” Circulation, vol. 128, pp. S87–S94, 2013.
- H. Masumoto, T. Matsuo, K. Yamamizu et al., “Pluripotent stem cell-engineered cell sheets reassembled with defined cardiovascular populations ameliorate reduction in infarct heart function through cardiomyocyte-mediated neovascularization,” Stem Cells, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1196–1205, 2012.
- S. Miyagawa, Y. Sawa, S. Taketani et al., “Myocardial regeneration therapy for heart failure: hepatocyte growth factor enhances the effect of cellular cardiomyoplasty,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 21, pp. 2556–2561, 2002.
- P. Menasché, A. A. Hagège, J.-T. Vilquin et al., “Autologous skeletal myoblast transplantation for severe postinfarction left ventricular dysfunction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1078–1083, 2003.
- S. Saito, S. Miyagawa, T. Sakaguchi et al., “Myoblast sheet can prevent the impairment of cardiac diastolic function and late remodeling after left ventricular restoration in ischemic cardiomyopathy,” Transplantation, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 1180–1115, 2012.
- Y. Shudo, S. Miyagawa, S. Fukushima et al., “Novel regenerative therapy using cell-sheet covered with omentum flap delivers a huge number of cells in a porcine myocardial infarction model,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 1188–1196, 2011.