- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 584207, 9 pages
Streptomyces misionensis PESB-25 Produces a Thermoacidophilic Endoglucanase Using Sugarcane Bagasse and Corn Steep Liquor as the Sole Organic Substrates
1Departamento de Microbiologia Geral, Instituto de Microbiologia Paulo de Góes, Centro de Ciências da Saúde (CCS), Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Avenida Carlos Chagas Filho 373, Bloco I, Laboratório 055, 21941-902 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
2Departamento de Engenharia Bioquímica, Escola de Química, Centro de Tecnologia (CT), Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Avenida Athos da Silveira Ramos 149, Bloco E, sala 203, 21941-909 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
3Departamento de Bioquímica, Instituto de Química, Centro de Ciências Matemáticas e Natureza (CCMN), Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Avenida Athos da Silveira Ramos 149, Bloco A, sala 539, 21941-909 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 1 October 2012; Revised 8 January 2013; Accepted 4 February 2013
Academic Editor: Divya Prakash
Copyright © 2013 Marcella Novaes Franco-Cirigliano et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Kim, S. Yun, and Z. Ounaies, “Discovery of cellulose as a smart material,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 4202–4206, 2006.
- P. Béguin and J. P. Aubert, “The biological degradation of cellulose,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 25–28, 1994.
- J. Liu, W. D. Liu, X. L. Zhao, W. J. Shen, H. Cao, and Z. L. Cui, “Cloning and functional characterization of a novel endo-β-1,4- glucanase gene from a soil-derived metagenomic library,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 1083–1092, 2011.
- S. L. Liu and M. Xing, “Purification, properties and mass spectrometry analysis of two novel thermotolerant endoglucanases from Bacillus akibai I-2,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 393–395, pp. 911–915, 2012.
- J. Lacey, “Actinomycetes in composts,” Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, vol. 4, pp. 113–121, 1997.
- C. S. Park, T. Kawaguchi, J. I. Sumitani, G. Takada, K. Izumori, and M. Arai, “Cloning and sequencing of an exoglucanase gene from Streptomyces sp. M23, and its expression in Streptomyces lividans TK-24,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 434–436, 2005.
- F. Alani, W. A. Anderson, and M. Moo-Young, “New isolate of Streptomyces sp. with novel thermoalkalotolerant cellulases,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 123–126, 2008.
- R. P. Nascimento, N. A. Junior, N. Pereira, E. P. S. Bon, and R. R. R. Coelho, “Brewer's spent grain and corn steep liquor as substrates for cellulolytic enzymes production by Streptomyces malaysiensis,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 529–535, 2009.
- F. N. M. Da Vinha, M. P. Gravina-Oliveira, M. N. Franco et al., “Cellulase production by Streptomyces viridobrunneus SCPE-09 using lignocellulosic biomass as inducer substrate,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 164, no. 3, pp. 256–267, 2011.
- A. L. Grigorevski-Lima, R. P. Nascimento, E. P. S. Bon, and R. R. R. Coelho, “Streptomyces drozdowiczii cellulase production using agro-industrial by-products and its potential use in the detergent and textile industries,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 272–277, 2005.
- A. Sazci, A. Radford, and K. Erenler, “Detection of cellulolytic fungi by using Congo red as an indicator: a comparative study with the dinitrosalicyclic acid reagent method,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 559–562, 1986.
- D. A. Hopwood, M. J. Bibb, K. F. Chater et al., Genetic Manipulation of Streptomyces: A Laboratory Manual, The John Innes Institute, Norwich, UK, 1985.
- E. B. Shirling and D. Gottlieb, “Methods for characterization of Streptomyces species,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 313–340, 1966.
- C. P. Kurtzman and C. J. Robnett, “Identification and phylogeny of ascomycetous yeasts from analysis of nuclear large subunit (26S) ribosomal DNA partial sequences,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 331–371, 1998.
- H. Hayashi, M. Sakamoto, and Y. Benno, “Evaluation of three different forward primers by terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis for determination of fecal Bifidobacterium spp. in healthy subjects,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2004.
- F. E. Löffler, Q. Sun, J. Li, and J. M. Tiedje, “16S rRNA gene-based detection of tetrachloroethene-dechlorinating Desulfuromonas and Dehalococcoides species,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1369–1374, 2000.
- J. R. Cole, Q. Wang, E. Cardenas et al., “The ribosomal database project: improved alignments and new tools for rRNA analysis,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. D141–D145, 2009.
- D. A. Benson, I. Karsch-Mizrachi, D. J. Lipman, J. Ostell, and D. L. Wheeler, “GenBank,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. D25–D30, 2008.
- M. Johnson, I. Zaretskaya, Y. Raytselis, Y. Merezhuk, S. McGinnis, and T. L. Madden, “NCBI BLAST: a better web interface,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, pp. W5–W9, 2008.
- G. J. M. Rocha, F. T. Silva, G. T. Araújo, and A. A. S. Curvelo, “A fast and accurate method for determination of cellulose and polyoses by HPLC,” in Proceedings of the 5th Brazilian symposium on chemistry of lignins and other wood components, vol. 6, pp. 3–8, Curitiba, Brazil, 1997.
- L. E. R. Paula, P. F. Trugilho, A. Napoli, and M. L. Bianchi, “Characterization of residues from plant biomass for use in energy generation,” CERNE, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 237–246, 2011.
- The Corn Refiners Association, “Assessment plan for corn steep liquor (CAS no. 66071-94-1) in accordance with the USEPA high production,” volume chemical challenge program prepared for November 2006.
- J. D. Breccia, G. R. Castro, M. D. Baigori, and F. Sineriz, “Screening of xytanolytic bacteria using a colour plate method,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 469–472, 1995.
- L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicyllc acid reagent for determination of reducing sugars,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- T. K. Ghose, “Measurement of cellulase activities,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 257–268, 1987.
- G. Gomori, “General preparative procedures,” in Methods in Enzymology, vol. 1, pp. 138–146, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1955.
- T. César and V. Mrsa, “Purification and properties of the xylanase produced by Thermomyces lanuginosus,” in Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 19, pp. 289–296, 1996.
- A. P. Cercos, B. L. Eilberg, J. G. Goyena, J. Souto, E. E. Vautier, and I. Widuczynski, “Misionina: antibiotico polienico producido por Streptomyces misionensis n. sp,” Revista de Investigaciones Agricolas, vol. 17, pp. 5–27, 1962.
- G. Garau, P. Castaldi, L. Santona, P. Deiana, and P. Melis, “Influence of red mud, zeolite and lime on heavy metal immobilization, culturable heterotrophic microbial populations and enzyme activities in a contaminated soil,” Geoderma, vol. 142, no. 1-2, pp. 47–57, 2007.
- R. F. Seipke, J. Barke, M. X. Ruiz-Gonzalez, J. Orivel, D. W. Yu, and M. I. Hutchings, “Fungus-growing Allomerus ants are associated with antibiotic-producing actinobacteria,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, pp. 1–5, 2011.
- A. L. Grigorevski-Lima, F. N. M. Da Vinha, D. T. Souza et al., “Aspergillus fumigatus thermophilic and acidophilic endoglucanases,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 155, no. 1–3, pp. 321–329, 2009.
- Z. Jaradat, A. Dawagreh, Q. Ababneh, and S. Ismail, “Influence of culture conditions on cellulase production by Streptomyces sp. (strain J2),” Jordan Journal of Biological Science, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 141–146, 2008.
- H. D. Jang and K. S. Chen, “Production and characterization of thermostable cellulases from Streptomyces transformant T3-1,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 2003.
- S. N. Chinedu, C. O. Nwinyi, and V. I. Okochi, “Properties of endoglucanase of Penicillium chrysogemum PCL501,” Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, vol. 2, pp. 738–746, 2008.
- S. K. Soni, N. Batra, N. Bansal, and R. Soni, “Bioconversion of sugarcane bagasse into second generation bioethanol after enzymatic hydrolysis with in-house produced cellulases from Aspergillus sp. S4B2F,” BioResources, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 741–757, 2010.
- S. Chauvaux, H. Souchon, P. M. Alzari, P. Chariot, and P. Beguin, “Structural and functional analysis of the metal-binding sites of Clostridium thermocellum endoglucanase CelD,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 17, pp. 9757–9762, 1995.
- C. R. Santos, J. H. Paiva, M. L. Sforça et al., “Dissecting structure-function-stability relationships of a thermostable GH5-CBM3 cellulase from Bacillus subtilis 168,” Biochemistry Journal, vol. 441, no. 1, pp. 95–104, 2012.
- J. Gao, H. Weng, Y. Xi, D. Zhu, and S. Han, “Purification and characterization of a novel endo-β-1,4-glucanase from the thermoacidophilic Aspergillus terreus,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 323–327, 2008.
- Y.-M. Tao, X.-Z. Zhu, J.-Z. Huang et al., “Purification and properties of endoglucanase from a sugar cane bagasse hydrolyzing strain, Aspergillus glaucus XC9,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 6126–6130, 2010.
- B. Godden, T. Legon, P. Helvenstein, and M. Penninckx, “Regulation of the production of hemicellulolytic and cellulolytic enzymes by a Streptomyces sp. growing on lignocellulose,” Journal of General Microbiology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 1989.
- M. Tuncer, A. Kuru, M. Isikli, N. Sahin, and F. G. Çelenk, “Optimization of extracellular endoxylanase, endoglucanase and peroxidase production by Streptomyces sp. F2621 isolated in Turkey,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 783–791, 2004.
- M. W. Pantoliano, M. Whitlow, J. F. Wood et al., “The engineering of binding affinity at metal ion binding sites for the stabilization of proteins: subtilisin as a test case,” Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 22, pp. 8311–8317, 1988.
- A. Tanaka and E. Hoshino, “Calcium-binding parameter of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens α-amylase determined by inactivation kinetics,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 364, no. 3, pp. 635–639, 2002.
- T. Dutta, R. Sahoo, R. Sengupta, S. S. Ray, A. Bhattacharjee, and S. Ghosh, “Novel cellulases from an extremophilic filamentous fungi Penicillium citrinum: production and characterization,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 275–282, 2008.