- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 585729, 6 pages
Long-Term Effects of Nilvadipine against Progression of the Central Visual Field Defect in Retinitis Pigmentosa: An Extended Study
1Department of Ophthalmology, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu-cho, Hirosaki 036-8562, Japan
2Department of Ophthalmology, Sapporo Medical University, S1W17, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 060-8556, Japan
Received 17 August 2013; Revised 24 September 2013; Accepted 27 September 2013
Academic Editor: Atsushi Mizota
Copyright © 2013 Mitsuru Nakazawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Léveillard, S. Mohand-Saïd, O. Lorentz et al., “Identification and characterization of rod-derived cone viability factor,” Nature Genetics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 755–759, 2004.
- H. Iijima, “Correlation between visual sensitivity loss and years affected for eyes with retinitis pigmentosa,” Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 224–229, 2012.
- H. Yamazaki, H. Ohguro, T. Maeda et al., “Preservation of retinal morphology and functions in Royal College Surgeons rat by nilvadipine, a Ca2+ antagonist,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 919–929, 2002.
- M. Sato, H. Ohguro, I. Ohguro et al., “Study of pharmacological effects of nilvadipine on RCS rat retinal degeneration by microarray analysis,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 306, no. 4, pp. 826–831, 2003.
- Y. Takano, H. Ohguro, M. Dezawa et al., “Study of drug effects of calcium channel blockers on retinal degeneration of rd mouse,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 313, no. 4, pp. 1015–1022, 2004.
- K. Takeuchi, M. Nakazawa, and S. Mizukoshi, “Systemic administration of nilvadipine delays photoreceptor degeneration of heterozygous retinal degeneration slow (rds) mouse,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 60–69, 2008.
- M. Nakazawa, H. Ohguro, K. Takeuchi, Y. Miyagawa, T. Ito, and T. Metoki, “Effect of nilvadipine on central visual field in retinitis pigmentosa: a 30-month clinical trial,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 225, no. 2, pp. 120–126, 2011.
- H. Hirakawa, H. Iijima, T. Gohdo, M. Imai, and S. Tsukahara, “Progression of defects in the central 10-degree visual field of patients with retinitis pigmentosa and choroideremia,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 436–442, 1999.
- E. L. Berson, “Long-term visual prognoses in patients with retinitis pigmentosa: the Ludwig von Sallmann lecture,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2007.
- H. Pasantes-Morales, H. Quiroz, and O. Quesada, “Treatment with taurine, diltiazem, and vitamin E retards the progressive visual field reduction in retinitis pigmentosa: a 3-year follow-up study,” Metabolic Brain Disease, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 183–197, 2002.
- E. L. Berson, B. Rosner, M. A. Sandberg et al., “Clinical trial of lutein in patients with retinitis pigmentosa receiving vitamin A,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 403–411, 2010.
- M. Frasson, J. A. Sahel, M. Fabre, M. Simonutti, H. Dreyfus, and S. Picaud, “Retinitis pigmentosa: rod photoreceptor rescue by a calcium-channel blocker in the rd mouse,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1183–1187, 1999.
- B. S. Pawlyk, T. Li, M. S. Scimeca, M. A. Sandberg, and E. L. Berson, “Absence of photoreceptor rescue with D-cis-diltiazem in the rd mouse,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1912–1915, 2002.
- P. Nicotera and S. Orrenius, “The role of calcium in apoptosis,” Cell Calcium, vol. 23, no. 2-3, pp. 173–180, 1998.
- F. Doonan and T. G. Cotter, “Apoptosis: a potential therapeutic target for retinal degenerations,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 41–53, 2004.
- A. K. Sharma and B. Rohrer, “Calcium-induced calpain mediates apoptosis via caspase-3 in a mouse photoreceptor cell line,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 34, pp. 35564–35572, 2004.
- Z.-B. Jin, S. Okamoto, F. Osakada et al., “Modeling retinal degeneration using patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e17084, 2011.
- H. Terasaki, Y. Miyake, R. Nomura et al., “Focal macular ERGs in eyes after removal of macular ILM during macular hole surgery,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 229–234, 2001.
- N. D. Radtke, R. B. Aramant, H. M. Petry, P. T. Green, D. J. Pidwell, and M. J. Seiler, “Vision improvement in retinal degeneration patients by implantation of retina together with retinal pigment epithelium,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 172–182, 2008.